Search

Need help....Which 12th. to get

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2006, 06:03 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default Need help....Which 12th. to get

Hello all,
Well my LHS is starting up a 12th scale class 19t. ..... As I'm new to 12th scale.... I was curious which would be my best car.... AE,CRC,Corally,etc. I know most are used on carpet but I'll be running on nice Asphalt..... Thanks for the help.......
Old 04-30-2006, 07:04 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

There are a lot of really great cars out now. There is no such thing as a "bad" car when it come to 1/12th. They are all proven and they all work great.

The easiest car for your shop to get would be the Associated RC12L4. They cabnwith it.

If your shop is a "good" hobby shop they won't mind picking up the phone and calling up smaller companies. This open up a lot more choices. CRC and Speed Merchant cars feature a few really nice hop ups over the RC12L4.

Personally I like t-bar cars. The CRC T-Fource is super nice. Like I said though you can't go wrong now-a-days. Just pick what appeals to you and stick with it.
Old 04-30-2006, 07:08 PM
Tech Regular

tradhunt, I'm new to 1:12 too and have just started racing an AE RC12L4 on asphalt. It's great, easy to work on, heaps of parts online, standard tires/rims etc, drive well straight out of the box with the right tire choice ( so far Jaco Purple Front and TRC Platinum Rear ). I've never owned any of the others on the market, but my advice would be to get what ever is well supported in your local area, parts and tire wise in the LHS's. Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 04-30-2006, 07:08 PM
Tech Fanatic

Hey Adrian,
Thanks, I'm just not sure what to look for in a 12th. scale for asphalt... T-bar ,etc. don't know anything about the 12th. and the different styles.... Thanks Again
Old 04-30-2006, 07:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

Hey Dec,
Thanks. I'm kindof leaning twards the 12l4..... I do have a good hobby shop they can get pretty much anything..... I just like to be different.....don't really like to be running what everyone else has..... so I was looking for other option's....... Also what's the item's that brake the most on 12th.
Old 04-30-2006, 07:25 PM
Tech Regular

So far on my L4, I've only broken 2 items : Front Cross Brace between the front suspension assemblies and unfortunately delaminated the chassis. BUT both these items were in a feak accident ( on an open practice night, a 1/10 touring car infront of me hit a barrier hard enough to dislodge the barrier and put the square edge directly into the oncoming traffic, ie me.) that would had done as much damage to any car. A Corally RDX got caught up in the same thing and torn one front wheel off, so it was a big stack, not the normal.

Prior to this the car had taken all my "new to 1:12" abuse with flying colours. I was actually suprised at how tough it was especially with a noobie driving it with a 10X2. Normally from what I hear its maybe the odd T bar. Another 2 censt worth
Old 05-01-2006, 12:49 AM
Ike
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tradhunt
Hey Dec,
Thanks. I'm kindof leaning twards the 12l4..... I do have a good hobby shop they can get pretty much anything..... I just like to be different.....don't really like to be running what everyone else has..... so I was looking for other option's....... Also what's the item's that brake the most on 12th.
If you're thinking of the L4 I would suggest just getting a CRC T-Force instead. They're both great cars but the CRC comes with common hopups for the L4 such as lowered rear pod plates (allow you to run smaller tires), a big D ring diff (smoother), and good tires (depending on grip).

If you really want to be different get yourself a Corally SP12M Euros spec or wait for the new SP12X. The SP12M is very well made, very durable, and quite different from just about every other T-bar car out there since all the others are 12L based to some degree. The SP12M is also a joy to work on and you can almost take the whole thing apart without ever picking up a tool.
The drawback is it'll be a bit more of a struggle to get a good setup and parts won't be readily available. However, it's REALLY tough to break a SP12M in my experience.
Old 05-01-2006, 12:01 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The Darkside Motorsports Mx2, It is what's next

www.darksidems.com
Old 05-01-2006, 01:21 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by THE DARKSIDE
The Darkside Motorsports Mx2, It is what's next

www.darksidems.com
Is that a complete rolling chassis kit now...Front end, shock, rear axles...the works?
Old 05-01-2006, 01:23 PM
Tech Adept

I beleive it is a conversion kit. It comes with the lowered aluminum pod pieces.
Old 05-01-2006, 03:17 PM
Tech Elite

Darkside is a conversion, you use your front end, and rear axel to complete it. The pods are really trick, they allow you to gear at almost anything you want, i have already had a 40 pinion in there with plenty of room to spare.
Old 05-01-2006, 03:20 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by rcracingkid
Darkside is a conversion, you use your front end, and rear axel to complete it. The pods are really trick, they allow you to gear at almost anything you want, i have already had a 40 pinion in there with plenty of room to spare.
Since Trad is new to 1/12th I think he needs a complete rolling chassis to start with.
Old 05-01-2006, 03:20 PM
Ike
Tech Master

Originally Posted by AdrianM
Is that a complete rolling chassis kit now...Front end, shock, rear axles...the works?
I just hope it comes with those sweet electronics
Old 05-01-2006, 03:22 PM
Tech Elite

Since Trad is new to 1/12th I think he needs a complete rolling chassis to start with.
Excellent point, Trad- grab what is most popular and has parts sapport locally.

The darkside car would be great for a slightly more seasoned racer.
Old 05-01-2006, 03:24 PM
Ike
Tech Master

Agreed, and a proven one would be a good idea as well. Not one with a design that's proven to have some drawbacks in the past. Maybe the Darkside car is better than those past designs, but I'll remain skeptical til I see some results. I'd still love to try one, I want to try every 1/12th scale car out there...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.