R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-01-2006, 06:05 PM   #16
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Core Creations

I would doubt very much if the US asa whole ever goes to 4 cell sedan. I can see LIPO/Brushless as a better option.

Mini Mafia Kansas Chapter - where the monster minis grow!
Core Creations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 06:09 PM   #17
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davenport
my point is why go to 4 cell? why not just run a 30t or higher motor.

You are still looking at having a heavy car and you would have to pay for two more cells to put in the car. 5 cells seem to be the best choice if Roar was going to limit the number of cells.

Texas EOS 2018!
Chris Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 06:14 PM   #18
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
my point is why go to 4 cell? why not just run a 30t or higher motor.
I did read a thread on RCTech not to long ago, where the prevailing thought was that the manufactures of TC's would be taking the first step towards designing for lipo cell cars, by making 4 cell TC's then, eventually designing TC's for lipo cells there-after. The thinking being - the weight and arrangement of the 4 cell battery pack in the TC chassis would be close to the future lipo chassis arrangment needs. Add to that the higher capacity of the cells today, (i.e. IB4200 ) having four cells is not to far from a 6 cell pack of 3300's. This is what I read, cannot verify how accurate it is, does make sense though.
Tsquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 06:19 PM   #19
Tech Adept

if everyone truly wants to make things easer for the newbie I think the all manufactures needs accept brushless and lipo technology.
Davenport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 06:20 PM   #20
Tech Apprentice

I got out of touring cars about 2 years ago becuase the cost were getting to high, I got back into it for about 5 months, and it seems like the cost has doubled. I stayed back in and was still competitive, but my wallet couldn't keep up. Ive been back out of it again for almost a year now. I love touring car racing, but it has gotten to expensive to run. Just cut the expenses down, and there will be more racers, heck if we have to go to 4-cell, higher turn motors, ect.ect. then lets do it, but if not the hobby will just lose people like me, who money wise just cant spend the amount of money to even survive.
MADLUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 06:22 PM   #21
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsquare
I did read a thread on RCTech not to long ago, where the prevailing thought was that the manufactures of TC's would be taking the first step towards designing for lipo cell cars, by making 4 cell TC's then, eventually designing TC's for lipo cells there-after.
I wouldn't mind that. that would open up the chassis for different designs.
Davenport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 06:28 PM   #22
Tech Master

Quote:
if everyone truly wants to make things easer for the newbie I think the all manufactures needs accept brushless technology. forget the 6 to 4 cell idea.
You just dont get it. If we all went to 4 cells the following would decrease in costs:

Tires- we would go through less of them because of the decrease in weight
motors- less comm cutting per amount of driving
car- The car would slow down slightly but have less mass and break less when it slams into the wall

The opposite would happen if we all went to brushless
Tires would cost the same as they do now if not more because the 4300 is faster than a regular stock motor
Motor- you still have to buy a brushless system
car- your going faster and breaking the car more easily.

Texas EOS 2018!
Chris Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 06:30 PM   #23
Tech Regular

Quote:
Its always something with batteries. I cant possibly understand why anyone in any class would want to go slower than a stock motor on six cells. As far as 4 cells with mod classes, just have a motor limit like no lower than 12T.
Roar did try a 10 turn limit, it did not solve anything because the timing the people put on their motors to make them as fast as a 8 turn. This increased the wear to more than that of an 8 turn as well.
T. Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 06:49 PM   #24
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manning
A slower entry level class would be welcome. Whether it's done by going to a lower cell count battery or a slower motor, it needs to be done.

At the local track, stock is the biggest class of course. The newbies destroy parts with regularity. Does that inspire confidence? Will the newbie that has broken $50 in parts want to come back to race?.....
I'm pretty sure that "Full Speed" is an option. They dont have to pull the trigger all the way.

If you want 4 cell racing, do 12'th scale stock. Its still fairly fast, but much easier to maintain on motors, and cheaper overall for batts, (about 1/3 less)..

All the tracks I race at also offer a "novice" class for those newbies and begginers. It is a more level playing field for those just getting into the hobby
PitCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 07:14 PM   #25
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitCrew
I'm pretty sure that "Full Speed" is an option. They dont have to pull the trigger all the way.

If you want 4 cell racing, do 12'th scale stock. Its still fairly fast, but much easier to maintain on motors, and cheaper overall for batts, (about 1/3 less)..

All the tracks I race at also offer a "novice" class for those newbies and begginers. It is a more level playing field for those just getting into the hobby
Try explaining the concept of "slowing down to go faster" to a newbie... pretty bizarre concept to non-racers.

I love 12th stock.... on a tight track.

I'm sure this subject comes up regularly with the ROAR/IFMAR/ARCOR and the other sanctioning bodies. Not a new problem. The hobby has plenty of inertia to overcome to change things. No easy solution.
Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 07:36 PM   #26
Tech Master

i'm willing to bet that roar will not be the driving force behind this radical thinking. i'm willing to bet that a local core of racers with the concept of reducing the costs of racing and making the hobby more appealing to the new guy who makes the switch over to 4 cells. and after a year or more roar and whoever will follow suit because of added pressure from the racers.

you guys by the chassis of the month now anyways. someone comes out with a new car you all run out and buy it. than another company makes a 2.39 mm chassis for carpet and you all run out and buy it.

i figure if someone like the florida on-road series were to try a 4 cell class in 2007 and it caught on thats all it would take? than a company would of course make 4 cell chassis. the question is....who realy will be the first in the US to think outside the box and promote 4 cell toruing car racing?

lipo batteries and brushless motors will not slow down the cars, if anything they will be lighter and faster all at the same time.

AGAIN...IS IT DOOR TO DOOR RACING OR 55 MPH SPEEDS THAT MAKE RACING FUN? ever run at your local track and see the same guys over and over again? ever see that new guy come to your track only to never come back again? stock motors have got nothing but faster every year. batteries have got nothing but faster every year.

ever look at the lap times from the mod and 19 turn classes at your local track? most of the lap times are withing a 10th of a second from each other.this is because 98% of us cannot control the power and alot of tracks do not accomodate the mod motors. because the track is low bite or is just technical by nature.FUN IS NOT 55 MPH...FUN IS 10 CARS ON THE SAME LAP AT 4 MINUTES! crazy i know.
UCHEATULOSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 07:55 PM   #27
Tech Elite

"FUN IS NOT 55 MPH...FUN IS 10 CARS ON THE SAME LAP AT 4 MINUTES! crazy i know."

Oh man that is the quote of the year! I cannot agree more. That to me is exacty how I feel about racing!! WELL SAID!
Old 05-01-2006, 08:07 PM   #28
Tech Regular

NO, speed is part of the fun too, I love the car shot down the straight at 55mph, hear the motor screams. Otherwise, everyone just runs silver can mabushi or johnson motor, there is no need for even competition stock motor, not to mention mod. Close, door to door racing is great, but don't forget the speed.
caveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 08:13 PM   #29
Tech Master

thanks joel but i know we are not alone in this fight.
UCHEATULOSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 08:19 PM   #30
Tech Elite

Our club runs a 4cell stock sedan class. I have yet to see it run as i dont run the days they run it, but from what i have heard is that its great for new racers and keeping new racers around long enough to learn how to drive. From the guys that have been around for a few years they said its 540silverscan slow to watch, but its fun for the new guys,

I suspect that 4cell with mod motors would be the key to speed at lower cost. Less cells and easier on the motors