Like Tree621Likes

Schumacher MI9

Old 04-24-2024, 08:24 AM
  #1  
Tech Elite
Thread Starter
iTrader: (9)
 
dawgmeat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 2,847
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default Schumacher MI9

This car deserves his own thread.


https://youtu.be/qgh6nTo_ELA?si=VFZVpzQAZ4yrQb4v

AdrianM, Isaac, choisan and 5 others like this.
dawgmeat is offline  
Old 04-24-2024, 09:01 AM
  #2  
Super Moderator
iTrader: (239)
 
Marcos.J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Semper Fi
Posts: 33,099
Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)
Default












Marcos.J is offline  
Old 04-24-2024, 09:56 AM
  #3  
Tech Master
iTrader: (10)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Lynnwood, Washington
Posts: 1,247
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Good to see another manufacturer dropping dog bone blades. Although I see them in the second set of pictures.

Wow, those shocks are tiny. Must have a max travel of 6-8mm.
malkiy is offline  
Old 04-24-2024, 11:04 AM
  #4  
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 279
Default

Shock oil manufacturers must hate the touring car industry...
MattW, Lonestar, dawgmeat and 2 others like this.
Mi4cxl is offline  
Old 04-24-2024, 11:17 AM
  #5  
Tech Master
iTrader: (10)
 
Car Breaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Grave Yard
Posts: 1,316
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Rear body post worries me. Hopefully it will break itself instead of bending the bulk heads with it during bigger impact.
other than that, a much higher msrp is the only cons so far.
gigaplex likes this.
Car Breaker is offline  
Old 04-24-2024, 11:48 AM
  #6  
Tech Apprentice
 
TomTurbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Austria
Posts: 55
Default

i don't think the bulkheads will bend.
the ultra long carbon arm under the body post will flex enough or maybe will brake in worst case...

no more aluminum diff and spool

seems to me the mi9 is more of an indoor car?
at our club we are racing outdoors on low to med traction and are very happy with our mi7s an mi8s.

i'm interested to see how it performs outdoor as the season just began here in europe.
TomTurbo is offline  
Old 04-24-2024, 12:25 PM
  #7  
Team EAM
iTrader: (79)
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 9,721
Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by TomTurbo
i don't think the bulkheads will bend.
the ultra long carbon arm under the body post will flex enough or maybe will brake in worst case...

no more aluminum diff and spool

seems to me the mi9 is more of an indoor car?
at our club we are racing outdoors on low to med traction and are very happy with our mi7s an mi8s.

i'm interested to see how it performs outdoor as the season just began here in europe.
It was ran at every outdoor ETS race that Michael attended starting with Appledorn in June last year. So Id say it was pretty good.

EAMotorsports is offline  
Old 04-24-2024, 12:49 PM
  #8  
Dan
Tech Champion
iTrader: (76)
 
Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 6,379
Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)
Default

Mi9 2024 Ifmar world champ??

Orlowski is on fire!
Dan is offline  
Old 04-24-2024, 01:35 PM
  #9  
h2e
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (1)
 
h2e's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 898
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Re-Iterating my last comments on the car:

Likes:
- Lower bulkheads with less material around the shocktowers - confirmed
- seems they use smaller bearings at diff/spool like AMX? That's a biggie for me (as it may allow Schumacher parts for my h2e four design) - confirmed, albeit the bulkead distance is obviously smaller on the Mi9.
- bulkheads 4x the same - big like. And from the spares list it seems one can even swap the Mi8 and Mi9 bulkheads --> Mi8-Mi9 upgrade kit?

- wheelhubs with lower control arms and steering limit stop - the idea worked for me. - seems they didn't use the nut as an outer limit stop. But I like the new hubs anyway.
- shorter shocks and shocktower. - they seem Xray X4 level now.
- Drive shafts (even if the Mi8 ones were good, too) seem Axon style, but not very clear - They are AMX style, with clips instead of screw-on nuts. If the clips are free of burrs in the pin holes, that might last quite long.
- wheel hexes upgraded --> do they still use the 5x10x4 bearings? - Just the 6x10x3 bearings as many use nowadays.

Neutral:
- Servo mount Awesomatix A800 style looks expensive, I liked the old one better, despite it taking away real-estate. - confirmed. Plus side: further forward attachment, and it seems one can use the Mi8 one still.
- rear body mounts. They must have a reason why they did it this way? - no comment.
- mid pulley: They haven't changed the attachment to single-nut yet. - confirmed
- ARBs still bulkhead mounted makes for a simple design, but CG is a bit high, and inertia wise, I prefer the Mugen/Yokomo/AMX... style - confirmed
- Rear toe links inner mount: still hanging from bulkheads. I wonder what benefit that brings other than complicated servicing? Why would it not be chassis mounted? Especially with the low control arms, there's much less shims needed. - confirmed
- Shocks seem quite far offset from shocktowers (large spacer), even further than on the Mi8 --> twisting? - After seeing the design, I agree to their choice. Must be required to go with vertical shocktowers.
- Lower arms seem less beefy than Mi8, just like the HGT kit. I wonder what that does to durability? I hope the droop screw area is well designed. - seems like so.
- Longer front belt/shorter rear? What ever that might have done to the geometry? Maybe less angled rear drive shafts-- more weight on rear axis? - seems the same as Mi8HGT, so no change.
- They didn't go very creative with ballast as it seems. No large brass parts in sight. - confirmed

Dislikes:
- Battery mount looks unchanged - was too weak to hold the battery with my driving style. Also, doesn't allow to use shims under the plastic part.- confirmed
- Price jump: about 80USD for the Ball bearing driveshafts add-on seems hefty. Yes they made many new plastic moulds - for sure. The Mi8 used to be a really good deal.

Last edited by h2e; 04-24-2024 at 01:55 PM.
h2e is offline  
Old 04-24-2024, 03:04 PM
  #10  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (2)
 
gigaplex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Melbourne, VIC
Posts: 6,389
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by h2e
Re-Iterating my last comments on the car:

Likes:
- Lower bulkheads with less material around the shocktowers - confirmed
- seems they use smaller bearings at diff/spool like AMX? That's a biggie for me (as it may allow Schumacher parts for my h2e four design) - confirmed, albeit the bulkead distance is obviously smaller on the Mi9.
- bulkheads 4x the same - big like. And from the spares list it seems one can even swap the Mi8 and Mi9 bulkheads --> Mi8-Mi9 upgrade kit?

- wheelhubs with lower control arms and steering limit stop - the idea worked for me. - seems they didn't use the nut as an outer limit stop. But I like the new hubs anyway.
- shorter shocks and shocktower. - they seem Xray X4 level now.
- Drive shafts (even if the Mi8 ones were good, too) seem Axon style, but not very clear - They are AMX style, with clips instead of screw-on nuts. If the clips are free of burrs in the pin holes, that might last quite long.
- wheel hexes upgraded --> do they still use the 5x10x4 bearings? - Just the 6x10x3 bearings as many use nowadays.

Neutral:
- Servo mount Awesomatix A800 style looks expensive, I liked the old one better, despite it taking away real-estate. - confirmed. Plus side: further forward attachment, and it seems one can use the Mi8 one still.
- rear body mounts. They must have a reason why they did it this way? - no comment.
- mid pulley: They haven't changed the attachment to single-nut yet. - confirmed
- ARBs still bulkhead mounted makes for a simple design, but CG is a bit high, and inertia wise, I prefer the Mugen/Yokomo/AMX... style - confirmed
- Rear toe links inner mount: still hanging from bulkheads. I wonder what benefit that brings other than complicated servicing? Why would it not be chassis mounted? Especially with the low control arms, there's much less shims needed. - confirmed
- Shocks seem quite far offset from shocktowers (large spacer), even further than on the Mi8 --> twisting? - After seeing the design, I agree to their choice. Must be required to go with vertical shocktowers.
- Lower arms seem less beefy than Mi8, just like the HGT kit. I wonder what that does to durability? I hope the droop screw area is well designed. - seems like so.
- Longer front belt/shorter rear? What ever that might have done to the geometry? Maybe less angled rear drive shafts-- more weight on rear axis? - seems the same as Mi8HGT, so no change.
- They didn't go very creative with ballast as it seems. No large brass parts in sight. - confirmed

Dislikes:
- Battery mount looks unchanged - was too weak to hold the battery with my driving style. Also, doesn't allow to use shims under the plastic part.- confirmed
- Price jump: about 80USD for the Ball bearing driveshafts add-on seems hefty. Yes they made many new plastic moulds - for sure. The Mi8 used to be a really good deal.
Battery mount has shims to adjust the height.
gigaplex is online now  
Old 04-24-2024, 03:48 PM
  #11  
h2e
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (1)
 
h2e's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 898
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

I know, but the arms themselves are not high enough, so that the battery can slide out (thanks to the upper clamps flexing away. So the stock system is not crash proof for ME.
h2e is offline  
Old 04-24-2024, 04:22 PM
  #12  
Tech Initiate
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Posts: 47
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Very excited for the potential of a fast Schumacher, in stock classes! Drivetrain will make all the difference.

I love my Xray X4 23 and 24, but Iíve always felt the cars were inconsistent on super high bite, as the arms are like jello compared to the traditional style cnc carbon arms. Also, I think the extra variable of delaminated upper and lower arms has added excess chasing of setup. Having to remove arms to check for tweak takes away from setup and track time.

To me, the Mi9 is going to be everything the X4 23 car was, but with stiffer arms, lower price point for kit and much cheaper for spares. I miss the double upper links of my Mi8, itís much faster to change the wheelbase, the pills on the X4 are beautiful but I probably lose at least one 5 minute run a race day changing them. Also, like EA mentioned, drivers using fixed upper arms still use caster doodles and mess with upper clamps to make the car square. I spend way less time setting up with double upper links because they are set exactly where I want. My Mi8 and AMX cars never needed trim adjustments after the setup station, I could close my eyes on the straight with those. The X4 I am always 2-4 clicks off center, possibly as a result of this.

I feel that the more traditional shock placing of the Mi9 is going to provide a car that is quicker over a 5 minute run. I bet the X4 24 could be faster over a lap with the inboard shocks, as the car inherently rotates faster. But, Iíve experienced that car is easy to over rotate and have too much on center steering response on both high and low grip surfaces, leading to more inconsistencies in my driving. Is this why Iím seeing the recent use heavy bumpers on that car?

Durability on US style black carpet tracks was an issue with the Mi8, mainly with the lower ball pivot housing at the lower arms/hubs. Very excited to see if the updated parts will hold up better.

Looking forward to to have fun and experiment with this car in my stock racing. If the car holds up durability wise indoor, I may try it in Mod. If not, Iíll continue to stick with my X4 23 for durability. Track time is still the most important thing as I am reasonably fresh back into racing.
Scott B and Robbob like this.

Last edited by scott.langford; 04-24-2024 at 04:40 PM.
scott.langford is offline  
Old 04-24-2024, 04:36 PM
  #13  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (2)
 
gigaplex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Melbourne, VIC
Posts: 6,389
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by scott.langford
Very excited for the potential of a fast Schumacher, in stock classes! Drivetrain will make all the difference.

I love my Xray X4 23 and 24, but Iíve always felt the cars were inconsistent on super high bite, as the arms are like jello compared to the traditional style cnc carbon arms. Also, I think the extra variable of delaminated upper and lower arms has added excess chasing of setup. Having to remove arms to check for tweak takes away from setup and track time.

To me, the Mi9 is going to be everything the X4 23 car was, but with stiffer arms, lower price point for kit and much cheaper for spares. I miss the double upper links of my Mi8, itís much faster to change the wheelbase, the pills on the X4 are beautiful but I probably lose at least one 5 minute run a race day changing them. Also, like EA mentioned, drivers using fixed upper arms still have to use caster doodles and mess with upper clamps to make the car square. I spend way less time setting up with double upper links because they are set exactly where I want. My Mi8 and AMX cars never needed trim adjustments after the setup station, I could close my eyes on the straight with those. The X4 I am always 2-4 clicks off center, possibly as a result of this.

I feel that the more traditional shock placing of the Mi9 is going to provide a car that is quicker over a 5 minute run. While I bet the X4 24 could be faster over a lap with the inboard shocks, as the car inherently rotates faster, Iíve experienced that car is easy to over rotate and have too much on center steering response on both high and low grip surfaces. Is this why Iím seeing the recent use heavy bumpers on that car?

Durability on US style black carpet tracks was an issue with the Mi8, mainly with the lower ball pivot housing at the lower arms/hubs. Very excited to see if the updated parts will hold up better.

Looking forward to to have fun and experiment with this car in my stock racing. If the car holds up durability wise indoor, I may try it in Mod. If not, Iíll continue to stick with my X4 23 for durability. Track time is still the most important thing as I am reasonably fresh back into racing.
Are you sure the Schumacher kit will be cheaper? Looks like it's had a price hike.
scott.langford likes this.
gigaplex is online now  
Old 04-24-2024, 04:41 PM
  #14  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (1)
 
gwhiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 968
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default I said it before, and it got yeeted for no good reason, so I will say it again LOL

Originally Posted by Marcos.J
gnarly
gwhiz is offline  
Old 04-24-2024, 04:44 PM
  #15  
Tech Initiate
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Posts: 47
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by gigaplex
Are you sure the Schumacher kit will be cheaper? Looks like it's had a price hike.
545.83 pounds is the pricing when I login to Schumachers website, 679 US dollars is the current conversion. The higher default pricing on their website is for UK based customers. I paid 720$ for my 24 X4. Not sure where theyíre priced now though!
scott.langford is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.