Like Tree512Likes

Schumacher MI9

Old 04-24-2024, 05:23 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by malkiy
Good to see another manufacturer dropping dog bone blades. Although I see them in the second set of pictures.

Wow, those shocks are tiny. Must have a max travel of 6-8mm.
Good eye! The manual says to build them with 8mm of shaft exposed after you spin on the ball cups.
Old 04-24-2024, 05:25 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Car Breaker
Rear body post worries me. Hopefully it will break itself instead of bending the bulk heads with it during bigger impact.
other than that, a much higher msrp is the only cons so far.
Thereís A LOT of new molded parts and the kit does not skimp or leave out much of anything. The price is in line with other tip of the spear sedans.
dawgmeat likes this.
Old 04-24-2024, 05:34 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by h2e
Re-Iterating my last comments on the car:

- Lower bulkheads with less material around the shocktowers - confirmed
- seems they use smaller bearings at diff/spool like AMX? That's a biggie for me (as it may allow Schumacher parts for my h2e four design) - confirmed, albeit the bulkead distance is obviously smaller on the Mi9.
- bulkheads 4x the same - big like. And from the spares list it seems one can even swap the Mi8 and Mi9 bulkheads --> Mi8-Mi9 upgrade kit?

- wheelhubs with lower control arms and steering limit stop - the idea worked for me. - seems they didn't use the nut as an outer limit stop. But I like the new hubs anyway.
- shorter shocks and shocktower. - they seem Xray X4 level now.
- Drive shafts (even if the Mi8 ones were good, too) seem Axon style, but not very clear - They are AMX style, with clips instead of screw-on nuts. If the clips are free of burrs in the pin holes, that might last quite long.
- wheel hexes upgraded --> do they still use the 5x10x4 bearings? - Just the 6x10x3 bearings as many use nowadays.

Neutral:
- Servo mount Awesomatix A800 style looks expensive, I liked the old one better, despite it taking away real-estate. - confirmed. Plus side: further forward attachment, and it seems one can use the Mi8 one still.
- rear body mounts. They must have a reason why they did it this way? - no comment.
- mid pulley: They haven't changed the attachment to single-nut yet. - confirmed
- ARBs still bulkhead mounted makes for a simple design, but CG is a bit high, and inertia wise, I prefer the Mugen/Yokomo/AMX... style - confirmed
- Rear toe links inner mount: still hanging from bulkheads. I wonder what benefit that brings other than complicated servicing? Why would it not be chassis mounted? Especially with the low control arms, there's much less shims needed. - confirmed
- Shocks seem quite far offset from shocktowers (large spacer), even further than on the Mi8 --> twisting? - After seeing the design, I agree to their choice. Must be required to go with vertical shocktowers.
- Lower arms seem less beefy than Mi8, just like the HGT kit. I wonder what that does to durability? I hope the droop screw area is well designed. - seems like so.
- Longer front belt/shorter rear? What ever that might have done to the geometry? Maybe less angled rear drive shafts-- more weight on rear axis? - seems the same as Mi8HGT, so no change.
- They didn't go very creative with ballast as it seems. No large brass parts in sight. - confirmed

Dislikes:
- Battery mount looks unchanged - was too weak to hold the battery with my driving style. Also, doesn't allow to use shims under the plastic part.- confirmed
- Price jump: about 80USD for the Ball bearing driveshafts add-on seems hefty. Yes they made many new plastic moulds - for sure. The Mi8 used to be a really good deal.
Rear toe links inner mount: still hanging from bulkheads. I wonder what benefit that brings other than complicated servicing? Why would it not be chassis mounted? Especially with the low control arms, there's much less shims needed. - confirmed There are holes in the chassis to get at the ball stud hexes and you never need to change the inner toe link ball shims so this is not a big deal.

rear body mounts. They must have a reason why they did it this way? - no comment. They say theyíre trying to isolate the body mounts from the shock towers.

Longer front belt/shorter rear? What ever that might have done to the geometry? Maybe less angled rear drive shafts-- more weight on rear axis? - seems the same as Mi8HGT, so no change. I only see one belt part number. I think the belts are equal length.
Old 04-24-2024, 05:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

The price is decent considering they include the multi jointed ball bearing drive shafts. Looks they incorporated a lot of the things that made AMX a great car. Diffs, spool, two piece top deck and drive shafts. I might forget about the TRF421 and get this to pair with my A800R.
Old 04-24-2024, 08:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

and pros and cons comparison of this MI9 and ms1.0 and 421?
Old 04-24-2024, 08:22 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by choisan
and pros and cons comparison of this MI9 and ms1.0 and 421?
The Mi9 is a proven winner in the hands of multiple team drivers. Thatís the one Iíd care about. Also Yok and Tam donít really have teams to test setups.
Old 04-24-2024, 09:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

no question about its winning gene, and look forward to seeing more of those new cars side by side race.
dont count down a guy who hit someone in 3 finals and won the A1 in a recent asian race without any penalty from race governance,.....
Old 04-24-2024, 11:08 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by EAMotorsports
It was ran at every outdoor ETS race that Michael attended starting with Appledorn in June last year. So Id say it was pretty good.
I knew it was tested for several months, but didn't know it even ran most of last years outdoor season.
So thx for the info!

Old 04-25-2024, 02:08 AM
h2e
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Mi9 Bulkheads vs. Mi8

I particularly like the new Mi9 bulkheads. It seems they kept the height of the topdeck as per Mi8, while lowering the upper arm holders (carbon parts) by 2mm.
So the diff height kit (high) is about 1mm higher than before, with the option to go 3mm higher (using the optional higher bulkheads). To lower the diff doesn't make sense, as it would protrude the chassis and have the belt too close to the front chassis cutout. I wonder what that slot hole is on the top right. Would that be an attachment point for a vertical topdeck?
Another like on the bulkheads is how the front shocktower keys into it, using a pin and a rounded cutout above the ARB bearing. Makes split shocktower easy.

Blue: Mi9 bulkkhead (kit) with Diff set high. Red: Mi8 bulkhead. Old and new match chassis holes.
dawgmeat likes this.
Old 04-25-2024, 03:14 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by h2e
I particularly like the new Mi9 bulkheads. It seems they kept the height of the topdeck as per Mi8, while lowering the upper arm holders (carbon parts) by 2mm.
So the diff height kit (high) is about 1mm higher than before, with the option to go 3mm higher (using the optional higher bulkheads). To lower the diff doesn't make sense, as it would protrude the chassis and have the belt too close to the front chassis cutout. I wonder what that slot hole is on the top right. Would that be an attachment point for a vertical topdeck?
Another like on the bulkheads is how the front shocktower keys into it, using a pin and a rounded cutout above the ARB bearing. Makes split shocktower easy.

Blue: Mi9 bulkkhead (kit) with Diff set high. Red: Mi8 bulkhead. Old and new match chassis holes.
I'm guessing that "slot" is just a cutout to reduce weight.
Old 04-25-2024, 06:16 AM
Tech Initiate

It is a really nice looking car with a lot of good ideas. Inspired a lot by AMX, for the new drivetrain.
I wonder if it is really better to have so small shocks compared to more traditional Axon or TRF carsÖ especially on bumpy tracks like everywhere in my area.
gwhiz likes this.
Old 04-25-2024, 06:18 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Mi4cxl
Shock oil manufacturers must hate the touring car industry...
Some super small shocks are leaking a lotÖso who knows ? ;-)
gigaplex and mr.rev like this.
Old 04-25-2024, 06:21 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gigaplex
I'm guessing that "slot" is just a cutout to reduce weight.
When you look at the actual parts instead of a colored drawing you can see its all for weight.
Theres a lot more milled off the bulkheads. They even got rid of the bearing carrier screws and material around the top deck screws.
Its all CG in a world where everyone is concerned about static vs dynamic weight.
Marcos.J, h2e and scott.langford like this.
Old 04-25-2024, 07:38 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

I was almost going to pre order one but I canít put shims under the battery mount lol
Rick Vessell likes this.
Old 04-25-2024, 07:56 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Marcos.J
I was almost going to pre order one but I canít put shims under the battery mount lol
🤣🤣🤣
Marcos.J and h2e like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.