R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Top speed?/ most power. (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/112301-top-speed-most-power.html)

BIGmansM 04-30-2006 10:14 PM

Top speed?/ most power.

What is the fastest in a straight line an electric r/c car can go?

How do they rate the power output of these motors?

Is a gas operated r/c faster?

Trying to learn some new basics

Burlap 04-30-2006 10:21 PM

Is it that time of the week for this thread topic?

danjoy25 04-30-2006 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by BIGmansM
Trying to learn some new basics

First tip: use the search function before starting a new thread ;)

mafiaracers 04-30-2006 10:32 PM

electric RC drag cars are topping the 100mph mark pretty easily these days...a while back RC Car Action magazine did a speed test on a 10L and a TC3. The 10L did I believe 115mph and the TC3 maxed out at around 97mph. The same magazine did a nitro speed test with an HPI RS4 I believe and topped it out at 100 flat. Electric cars will generally be faster than nitro just because of the physical mechanics of each.

The motors are dynoed pretty much the same as any other motor, except that these type of motors are pretty intense. Special "neo-dymium"(sp) or "Cobalt" magnets are used which makes the arm nearly un-movable without upwards of 12 cells of power input. Even with a pinion gear attached, it is next to imossible to turn these arms in the can with your hand! The wire is super low gague...I've heard it's like coat hanger size!

BIGmansM 04-30-2006 11:09 PM

I knew i would get flamed for this, but stop bitching; threads like this are what the message board is for.

So what "hp"/"tq" are the elctric motors generating? and what qualities in the motor yield more HP?/TQ

mafiaracers 04-30-2006 11:22 PM

I have no idea....probably a lot. Try a google search for RC Drag Motors. you can turn something up there I'd assume

onnetz 04-30-2006 11:38 PM

most .12 nitro engines produce between .7 - 1 hp...... I'm sure an electric mod motor is somewhere around the same.....

sosidge 05-01-2006 02:24 AM

Lets get strainght to the point.

Nitro powered cars will go faster in a straight line with off-the-shelf equipment than electric cars will.

The most powerful electric brushed motors are putting out 350-400watts, which is around 1/2hp. Most nitro engines produce this much, many produce more.

In favour of the electric cars is the lighter weight, better starting power and smoother control.

So, in a speed run, a shop-bought nitro car will almost always beat a shop-bought electric car.

Around a small/medium-sized track (like most clubs have) an electric car will almost always beat a nitro.

No doubt someone will argue with this post and say the electric cars hold the speed records and that their oversized German brushless motor is faster than any nitro. But that isn't representative of the hobby for 99.9% of people.

Some people go for nitro, some people go for electric, both have their benefits, both have their drawbacks, both have their place in the hobby, there is no need to argue about it.