R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-29-2002, 08:18 PM   #1
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to mike_Webb
Default Trinity Quality!!!!

I want to know how a PRO Arm that comes from Trinity that is suppose to be balanced, and trued be of such crappy quality? Take a look at the atttached picture. The windings are so bad that on one of them I could probably bend it over the magnet. I would say 50% of the windings can be moved by just pushing in it with your finger. One of the windings has been has been tapped down with a hammer or something to make the wire not be way off the other windings. I can't wait to get to the snowbirds and give the arm back to Trinity. Think they will give me a new one or tell me that it is just my bad luck? I should have looked a lot more closely at the arms when I bought them. It was either this one or one with about 7 holes drilled in all the magnets.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg trinity.jpg (12.5 KB, 378 views)

Last edited by mike_Webb; 12-30-2002 at 12:48 PM.
mike_Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2002, 08:26 PM   #2
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to Jared Kirkwood

I bought a P2K Pro motor the other day and it didn't have any signs of balancing either. I just figured it was within tolerance. But then I put it on the track and it was slower than any stock motor I've ever had. Upon inspection the motor generates enough vibration to create a small earthquake. (well maybe not that bad).
Jared Kirkwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2002, 08:39 PM   #3
Tech Regular

Default quality

i've had the endbell caps go out on 2 trinity stock motors (2pk + p2k2) in the last few months, the p2k was one season old, the 2pk2 a couple months old. both motors caused some glithing problems then slowed to a stop, like a hung brush would. i put a post on trintys tech talk about it and soneone said the cap get crap on them, to disassemble the endbells and clean them. i got a better idea..... orion core stock! i'll not have anymore trinty motors, i can't count on them, those two both pucked during A-main runs, that means two fat DNFs for me!
hyperformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2002, 08:41 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Sorry... I should have said these are the 19 turn Chameleon Arms.
Old 12-29-2002, 10:40 PM   #5
Tech Apprentice

To be honest with you I dont see what is so bad about your arm. Have you tried running the arm to see if it works well, because by appearence it doesnt look too diferent from a normal arm. If that white thing in the pic is what your calling tape, thats what Epic uses to label the arms. My MVP has one on it.

I dont know about that shaking thing that Jared was talking about either. An armature is fairly light, and spins at very high RPM's, I dont know if the vibration caused would be noticble when holding the can of the motor. If I am wrong about this sorry, because I have never came across a unabalanced arm, and I have bought about 15 stock motors from Trinity.
Cyclonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2002, 10:49 PM   #6
Tech Elite

When I put the Arm in my motor the winding that is sticking up runs agains the bottom of the motor endbell. I am not about to run the motor with that and take the chance of it throwing the wind like some people have PM'ed me and told me that will happen. I have to put 3 washers on the bottom part of the arm so that it does not hit the bottom of the endbell. It is also not tape on the arm. One of the windings looks like someone took a hammer and gently Tapped the windings down so that it was not sticking up.

Some have told me to just tap it down and then put some epoxy on it to keep the winds from throwing but they say the arm will not be balenced very well.

Last edited by mike_Webb; 12-30-2002 at 12:49 PM.
Old 12-30-2002, 03:10 AM   #7
Tech Adept

A green machine let go during my motor testing. It wasn't plesant! Overall I'm not to impressed by Trinity quality either.

sanj
schumacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2002, 08:41 AM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

man that thing doesnt look to good. they should replace that for you. one of the guys i race with got a monster horsepower, a non pro, and noticed the arm had no drill balance holes in it. we looked at some of the pro versions in the shop and they had drill balance holes in the arms, so whats up with that? does trinity not drill balance not pro motors now or is this just another screw up. i know ive got no pro motors before from them that have been drill balanced.

[email protected]
Jarrod Langlois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2002, 08:44 AM   #9
Tech Elite

I just got a better digital Camera and I will post some better pictures tonight of the arm. You can not really see the winding that good in the picture... I will try again tonight.
Old 12-30-2002, 12:13 PM   #10
Tech Adept

This is one of the reasons I try my hardest not to buy any Trinity products. Poor quality, Bad customer support, and personally I think they are bringing down the hobby, which I'd rather not get into at this moment.
Lab-driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2002, 12:28 PM   #11
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

mike_webb... the past tense of "Tap" is "Tapped" not "Taped"... It's confusing when I read your post, you lead us to believe they used "tape" on it.

To add to the Trinity bash (I will still buy their products) but my threaded shock collar wasn't threaded.
Old 12-30-2002, 12:42 PM   #12
Tech Elite

Default Trinity Quality control

Guys;

So far the last 3 times I bought spring sets for my Stocks, each package had the wrong mix of springs in it. Either the polarity was back-wards or 2 of the same pole was included instead of one of each. I finally bought a 6 pack just to get enough pairs of springs to tune with. I figure out of 6 pairs, at least 1 pair should be right.

My NON pro Monster stock also has no balancing holes. Anyone thought of using a magnetic balancer like the Top-Flight to check balance. Think I will try during the next teardown.
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2002, 08:33 PM   #13
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

hmm thats funny about those arms. trinity isnt all bad though, when i got their tru lathe 2 what ever i did to the thing i could not get a good cut out of it (the cross feed block was sloppy) so i contacted trinity and they had me send it in and they ended up sending me a brand new tru lathe 3 free of charge. sweet

[email protected]
Jarrod Langlois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2002, 08:44 PM   #14
Tech Initiate

You guy`s should go see BigJim.
rcconcept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2002, 08:46 PM   #15
Tech Elite

Trinity has some good stuff and I don't doubt that they help customers... but for being a pro arm to have to be balanced and trued I just don't see how that could have happened to this arm becasue when I tried to put it in my truer the winding on the end would have hit my V-BLock. Whoever does their trueing must have been hung over to package it as a Pro Arm.

Last edited by mike_Webb; 12-31-2002 at 07:28 AM.