Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Exotek F1ultra R5 >

Exotek F1ultra R5

Like Tree31Likes

Exotek F1ultra R5

Old 04-05-2024, 09:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I at first didn't notice a lot of those subtle changes, but there are quite a few. I already have the motor mount mod on my car, but good to know I can now just buy a replacement if need be. I wonder of there will be a kit to upgrade a current CW car to this new spec? If not, I'll probably just by the parts and convert one of my cars to see if it really makes a difference for me.
BigRon likes this.
Old 04-05-2024, 03:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Mike posted this parts list on the F1 Ultra Facebook group but I didn't see it here.
Old 04-07-2024, 04:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

So the new car isn’t going to have a separate carpet version?
idbdoug
Old 04-07-2024, 06:20 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by idbdoug
So the new car isn’t going to have a separate carpet version?
idbdoug
The R5 is like the CW version where you can mount the battery transversely or inline so it covers carpet tracks as well.
BigRon likes this.
Old 04-08-2024, 08:07 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by disaster999
The R5 is like the CW version where you can mount the battery transversely or inline so it covers carpet tracks as well.
Unfortunately to mount a battery inline you will have to modify the chassis. Not an option out of the box.
Old 04-08-2024, 09:02 AM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

Is there not adequate room or does it hit the shock post? Maybe purchase options for two side posts and the carbon cross piece like the current R4 CW?
Old 04-08-2024, 01:01 PM
Tech Fanatic

You can but you would need to drill holes in the chassis for the post. Wouldn't be hard to do but have to make sure the shock is straight after. You know the old saying measure a hundred times then drill once. Gonna be doing that mod on mine but really thought you would have the option out the box after the cw version had that. Oh well half the fun is modifying what to have to get more of what you want.
The front of the shock now mounts to a post in the center of the chassis so would have to remove the post to run inline.
fat500 likes this.
Old 04-09-2024, 03:23 PM
Tech Regular

I’ve been looking at the manual while waiting to receive mine. The instructions say that you must use a 25 spline servo. Now, I only have KO servos and the idea of running an open-wheel car without a servo saver makes me uncomfortable. Are there any problems associated with running an XRay servo saver?

Martin Paradis
Old 04-09-2024, 04:44 PM
Tech Fanatic

No they work fine. Have one on mine didn't think the kit one would survive a good tap on the pipes.
Old 04-09-2024, 04:55 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by shadowracer24
No they work fine. Have one on mine didn't think the kit one would survive a good tap on the pipes.
Great, thanks!
Old 04-15-2024, 09:13 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

First race weekend with the car, used Exotek tires front/rear, red fronts and double red rears. With 0 degrees camber and 2 degrees caster the car was super aggressive and very tippy. The entire sidewall was glued and I used all of my tricks to keep all 4 on the floor, still had some tippyness in faster corners. I also used some parts from my old CW car to make the car more "carpet" ready. Parts I used will be listed below. The car was a handful, might test some yellow fronts next time at the track. I definitely feel like the reds were a bit aggressive. The car is super fast to say the least, looking forward to getting more track time with it. I'm sad to say I no longer have an F1 Ultra, I had to take too many parts off the CW car to make the new car ready for carpet and have the inline battery configuration.

F1 Ultra CW Parts Used
Bulkhead (for inner roll center/camber link holes)
Battery centering blocks that sit on top of the side link mount, this is to keep the battery centered for inline configuration (needs a longer countersunk screw than what's included in the kit)
F1 Pod Wing Mount
Micro Shock Tower (John Barron Special)
Center Shock CF Bracket & Standoff Posts

To get down to 4mm of ride height in the front, I used the 3mm bulkhead shim that comes with the kit and a 1mm shim that I had on the CW car. I took the Dremel to those bulkhead shims to make clearance for the wing mount, you need to round it out a tiny bit to make room for that new wing mount nut that goes on top of the wing. I added a .5mm shim above the knuckle and a 1mm shim below the knuckle, this removed all of the droop and had me exactly at 4mm of ride height in the front. To put the old bulkhead on the car, I highly recommend you install the wing on the car before you put the bulkhead on. The old bulkhead's camber post holes are a little more forward than the new bulkhead, this requires you to install the wing beforehand but with the 4mm of shims under the bulkhead there was enough room to fit the old F1 Ultra bulkhead on the car.
racing_jason likes this.
Old 04-16-2024, 05:43 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Hello all. I have a couple questions regarding setups. Is the kit setup for asphalt or carpet? Since the kit is in transverse battery form, would Barron's Nationals setup still be a better starting point?
racing_jason likes this.
Old 04-17-2024, 07:33 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BigRon
Hello all. I have a couple questions regarding setups. Is the kit setup for asphalt or carpet? Since the kit is in transverse battery form, would Barron's Nationals setup still be a better starting point?
The kit is definitely not designed for carpet. Hopefully there will be a carpet version coming out soon. I used John's setup as a base and it was a really good starting point as always. I think my tires were too aggressive for carpet and I need a different compound.
Old 04-17-2024, 06:17 PM
Tech Adept

I got the parts in to do a front-end conversion on my F4 CW.

It probably won't get me much faster, but the new high-tolerance axles and one-piece kingpin definitely results in almost zero play.
Old 04-17-2024, 07:01 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Do you guys use the caster doodle or a camber gauge for caster measurements? I have a setup station with the caster dial and a camber gauge. Just wondering if the doodle is a better tool.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.