Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Marcos.J
  • 4 Post By Skiddins
  • 1 Post By eR1c

Rear Wing Position.....

Old 04-30-2006, 04:14 AM
Tech Elite

Rear Wing Position.....

Does moving the rear wing have much of an effect on rear end grip?

I know there is limited movement that can be achieved by the mounting position on the rear deck but there is also the position of the bodyshell.

How much effect can the positions have or is the basic design of the bodyshell the main sticking point?

Skiddins
Old 04-30-2006, 08:02 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Moving the wing towards the front or rear of the car makes a noticable difference..... Easy to try if the wing is bolted on and the all the holes are already there.

Never tried moving the entire body.
Old 04-30-2006, 08:25 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Skiddins
Does moving the rear wing have much of an effect on rear end grip?

I know there is limited movement that can be achieved by the mounting position on the rear deck but there is also the position of the bodyshell.

How much effect can the positions have or is the basic design of the bodyshell the main sticking point?

Skiddins
All three variables you mention have an effect on the handling of the car. The basic body design probably being the most important, then body position and rear wing. You will need to experiment with your driving style and setup to really determine what is going to be most beneficial to you. Good Luck.
Old 07-17-2018, 01:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I realize this is a super super super old thread, but didn't want to start a new thread (since this one existed).

I recently purchased a Protoform Type-S body for my on-road 17.5 touring car. I notice that the rear wing has 3 positions to mount it. I know that each position will have a different effect on handling, can someone tell me ...what effect does moving the rear wing forward towards the front of the car vs back away from the car have?

I can take a photo if it helps, ..but figure this should be an easy thing to answer.
thanks,
Old 07-17-2018, 01:14 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 221 (100%+)

Originally Posted by eR1c View Post
I realize this is a super super super old thread, but didn't want to start a new thread (since this one existed).

I recently purchased a Protoform Type-S body for my on-road 17.5 touring car. I notice that the rear wing has 3 positions to mount it. I know that each position will have a different effect on handling, can someone tell me ...what effect does moving the rear wing forward towards the front of the car vs back away from the car have?

I can take a photo if it helps, ..but figure this should be an easy thing to answer.
thanks,
more to the back more stability
skater-deez1 likes this.
Old 07-17-2018, 01:18 PM
Tech Elite

Thanks,
Old 07-19-2018, 02:17 AM
Tech Elite

And vice versa, the further the forward the wing, the less rear stability you have, but you usually gain some steering as a consequence.

Don't ever remember starting this thread lol
Marcos.J, Nerobro, eR1c and 1 others like this.
Old 07-19-2018, 11:34 AM
Tech Elite

Don't ever remember starting this thread lol
LOL, ...you started this thread over 12yrs ago ...who knew it would still be relevant to someone at some point?!
Billy Kelly likes this.