Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Rear Wing Position..... >

Rear Wing Position.....

Like Tree12Likes

Rear Wing Position.....

Old 04-30-2006, 04:14 AM
  #1  
Tech Elite
Thread Starter
 
Skiddins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Windsor, UK
Posts: 4,937
Rear Wing Position.....

Does moving the rear wing have much of an effect on rear end grip?

I know there is limited movement that can be achieved by the mounting position on the rear deck but there is also the position of the bodyshell.

How much effect can the positions have or is the basic design of the bodyshell the main sticking point?

Skiddins
Skiddins is offline  
Old 04-30-2006, 08:02 AM
  #2  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NW Arkansas
Posts: 403
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Moving the wing towards the front or rear of the car makes a noticable difference..... Easy to try if the wing is bolted on and the all the holes are already there.

Never tried moving the entire body.
Manning is offline  
Old 04-30-2006, 08:25 AM
  #3  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (4)
 
Tsquare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: San Diego
Posts: 618
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Skiddins
Does moving the rear wing have much of an effect on rear end grip?

I know there is limited movement that can be achieved by the mounting position on the rear deck but there is also the position of the bodyshell.

How much effect can the positions have or is the basic design of the bodyshell the main sticking point?

Skiddins
All three variables you mention have an effect on the handling of the car. The basic body design probably being the most important, then body position and rear wing. You will need to experiment with your driving style and setup to really determine what is going to be most beneficial to you. Good Luck.
Tsquare is offline  
Old 07-17-2018, 01:12 PM
  #4  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (2)
 
eR1c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,478
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

I realize this is a super super super old thread, but didn't want to start a new thread (since this one existed).

I recently purchased a Protoform Type-S body for my on-road 17.5 touring car. I notice that the rear wing has 3 positions to mount it. I know that each position will have a different effect on handling, can someone tell me ...what effect does moving the rear wing forward towards the front of the car vs back away from the car have?

I can take a photo if it helps, ..but figure this should be an easy thing to answer.
thanks,
eR1c is offline  
Old 07-17-2018, 01:14 PM
  #5  
Super Moderator
iTrader: (235)
 
Marcos.J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Semper Fi
Posts: 32,271
Trader Rating: 235 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by eR1c View Post
I realize this is a super super super old thread, but didn't want to start a new thread (since this one existed).

I recently purchased a Protoform Type-S body for my on-road 17.5 touring car. I notice that the rear wing has 3 positions to mount it. I know that each position will have a different effect on handling, can someone tell me ...what effect does moving the rear wing forward towards the front of the car vs back away from the car have?

I can take a photo if it helps, ..but figure this should be an easy thing to answer.
thanks,
more to the back more stability
skater-deez1 likes this.
Marcos.J is offline  
Old 07-17-2018, 01:18 PM
  #6  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (2)
 
eR1c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,478
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Thanks,
eR1c is offline  
Old 07-19-2018, 02:17 AM
  #7  
Tech Elite
Thread Starter
 
Skiddins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Windsor, UK
Posts: 4,937
Default

And vice versa, the further the forward the wing, the less rear stability you have, but you usually gain some steering as a consequence.

Don't ever remember starting this thread lol
Skiddins is offline  
Old 07-19-2018, 11:34 AM
  #8  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (2)
 
eR1c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,478
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Don't ever remember starting this thread lol
LOL, ...you started this thread over 12yrs ago ...who knew it would still be relevant to someone at some point?!
Billy Kelly likes this.
eR1c is offline  
Old 03-29-2022, 05:28 AM
  #9  
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 12
Default

And still relevant

TT02 has the option to increase the rear wing angle. I am guessing the steeper the angle the higher the downforce. is that correct?
Simond001 is offline  
Old 03-29-2022, 09:46 AM
  #10  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Mooreland, IN
Posts: 363
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Simond001 View Post
And still relevant

TT02 has the option to increase the rear wing angle. I am guessing the steeper the angle the higher the downforce. is that correct?
Yes, and more drag. Everything is a tradeoff.
0010 is offline  
Old 03-29-2022, 09:57 AM
  #11  
Tech Master
iTrader: (16)
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,791
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default

Both the drag on the wing and the downforce of the wing acts on the perpendicular distance to the rear axle as a lever to remove the front downforce and put it on the rear. Moving the wing back increases the lever arm for the downforce proponent of the rear wing. Also, moving the wing up increases the lever arm for the drag proponent of the wing. So moving the wing back and/or up removes downforce on the front tires and puts it on the rear tires.
glennhl is offline  
Old 03-31-2022, 04:15 AM
  #12  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 2,289
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by glennhl View Post
Both the drag on the wing and the downforce of the wing acts on the perpendicular distance to the rear axle as a lever to remove the front downforce and put it on the rear. Moving the wing back increases the lever arm for the downforce proponent of the rear wing. Also, moving the wing up increases the lever arm for the drag proponent of the wing. So moving the wing back and/or up removes downforce on the front tires and puts it on the rear tires.
No, it acts on a virtual point defined more by the suspension geometry and spring rates. Not the rear axle.

Unless you're seeing massive changes in ride height, you're not removing downforce.... But you are changing the center of pressure.
Rick Vessell and gigaplex like this.
Nerobro is offline  
Old 03-31-2022, 05:48 AM
  #13  
Tech Fanatic
 
trx-1racer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Posts: 788
Default

The general trend is to mount the body farther forward on the chassis and then the wing as far back as possible. With the goal being to generate as much downforce as possible at BOTH ends of the car.
trx-1racer is offline  
Old 03-31-2022, 08:58 AM
  #14  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (41)
 
fat500's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Boca Raton, florida
Posts: 2,113
Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)
Default

Trx1 Nailed it...Bam!
fat500 is offline  
Old 03-31-2022, 02:04 PM
  #15  
Tech Master
iTrader: (16)
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,791
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Nerobro View Post
No, it acts on a virtual point defined more by the suspension geometry and spring rates. Not the rear axle.

Unless you're seeing massive changes in ride height, you're not removing downforce.... But you are changing the center of pressure.
Would like to know more how the springs and suspension geometry affects the CP. But yes, what I was saying is that as you increase the rear wing leverage, it removes front downforce and puts it in the rear, thus moving the CP rearward. In Indycar they increase the front and/or rear wings to move the CP fore and aft. And they have a real world measurement of this. They know the load on the front and rear axles while the car is racing and since they also know the static weight on each axle, they can do some quick calcs to determine where the CP is.

The way I look at it, the downforce/drag on the rear wing reacts into the ground at the rear tire. And since it produces a moment at this point, it pushes down on the rear tire and pulls up on the front tire. The springs are just along for the ride. Increased load on the rear tire will compress the rear spring by Force/spring rate. The front spring will actually increase in length because of the moment removes some of the force on the front tire. Mind you, even though it removes some force on the front tires, it's not enough to remove all force down on the front tires.

I'm open to anyone's interpretation of this, I'm always willing to learn as much as I can.

EDIT: I think I could state this more clearly. When I say it removes front downforce, it doesn't really, there is the same amount of aero downforce on the front, it's just that some of that goes to the rear tires because of the lever moment of the rear wing.
gwhiz and Nerobro like this.

Last edited by glennhl; 03-31-2022 at 04:23 PM.
glennhl is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.