Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
ways to protect a graphite chassis from asphalt? >

ways to protect a graphite chassis from asphalt?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ways to protect a graphite chassis from asphalt?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2006, 11:45 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default ways to protect a graphite chassis from asphalt?

Hey folks, I'm getting back into R/C after a long hiatus and I'm planning on running a T2 with two local clubs, one of which is carpet and one of which is asphalt. The asphalt guys tell me their parking lot track can really tear up a graphite chassis if you're not careful.

When I used to race off-road years ago (when graphite was a big new thing, the JRX2 days) I remember people sticking all kinds of different things to the bottom of their chassis to help protect from the small nicks and scrapes that can really add up over time. Some used contact paper (the vinyl sort of stuff you cover textbooks with in school) and some used old random bumper stickers, and some had sheets of some kind of stuff they got from hobby stores.

Since it's several years later, I thought I would ask around, what do some folks these days use for the same purpose. I guess really competitive racers probably cringe at the idea of adding weight, but maybe some of you bashers out there have some ideas?

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-29-2006, 11:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Here's what you want.

ASC6312 CHASSIS PROTECTIVE SHEET-clear

It's a 6.5"x18" sheet of clear plastic that has a very sticky back on it.
Old 04-29-2006, 04:43 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Anthony.L
Here's what you want.

ASC6312 CHASSIS PROTECTIVE SHEET-clear

It's a 6.5"x18" sheet of clear plastic that has a very sticky back on it.

just go to your lhs and ask for associated chasis protector...that should get the job done
Old 04-29-2006, 05:58 PM
Tech Master

Yeah, the Associated stuff is the best. You can use it all summer long, then peel it off and the chassis looks as good as new!
Old 04-29-2006, 06:11 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by John Warner
Yeah, the Associated stuff is the best. You can use it all summer long, then peel it off and the chassis looks as good as new!
even if you need to change the way it has ben stuck down all you need to do is peel it back up and put it down like you want to
Old 04-29-2006, 08:08 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

If you are in a rush, just use two layers of textbook contact paper. Its not as rigid as the associated chassis protector, but will still work. Another alternative is the protective used on the bottom of skees.
Old 04-30-2006, 07:04 AM
Tech Master

if ur reallllly in a rush and all you have is straping tape use a couple strips of that
Old 04-30-2006, 08:05 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I use 3M bathtub tape. The clear thin one
Old 04-30-2006, 09:35 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

my lhs does not have any of the chassis protector in stock and it appears to be a discontinued product on associated's website. anybody know of an online store that has them in stock?
Old 04-30-2006, 09:47 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Just a matter of finding a place in city that does installs of clear bras on cars with the 3m film, should be easy to find. Most detail places do it, and they usually sell the stuff to general public for people odd uses.
Old 04-30-2006, 10:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tr1kstanc3
my lhs does not have any of the chassis protector in stock and it appears to be a discontinued product on associated's website. anybody know of an online store that has them in stock?
They are on order at Tower.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...3&P=0&C=CMAASC
Old 05-01-2006, 05:18 AM
Tech Champion

Just keep the car up off the ground , around 5mm. and if you break the suspension stop the car right away.
Old 05-01-2006, 06:09 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Go to motor cycle spare parts shop...they usually sell clear stick on sheet to protect paintwork on bikes.... usually the sheet will do the chassis at least three times and is usually cheaper than hobby shops
Old 05-01-2006, 06:34 AM
Tech Regular

How hard is it to get this stuff off? I run on asphault too and really hate the way the chassis get really chewed up in just a few race weekends. I was actually thinking about doing this and then cutting around the screw holes so I wouldnt have to take it off to remove screws from the bottom and then just replace it when it gets too messed up.
Old 05-01-2006, 07:37 AM
Tech Addict

My LHS doesn't stock the chassis protector either so i just make my own.
Lots of guys don't seem to care, but after a few races on course asphalt the edges of your chassis can def take on a nasty bevel. We run on a track that is off camber, bumpy and runs up and down a hill.

Lucky these plastic sheets are cheap! You cna get them from newsagents and craft shops - or for those so inclined, from the university bookshop.
I stick mine on with 3m tape. These pics were before i stuck it down for good. Make sure you drill some holes for your pivot blocks, servo mounts etc. The rest stay in the car.

The plastic is soft enough to not crack and resist rubbing well. Doesn't really like the heat from the motor though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.