R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-29-2006, 04:03 PM   #16
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to TeamPink91

Do you guys honestly think they run those "Pro" motors on a dyno? Think about how many motors they produce in a day, and think about how long it would take to put each motor on the dyno then print out the little sticker.
TeamPink91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 04:37 PM   #17
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamPink91
Do you guys honestly think they run those "Pro" motors on a dyno?
I used to!
Old 04-29-2006, 05:10 PM   #18
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to BrettBowen

As far as having no solder on the tab... you can connect the leads from the dyno straight to the brush shunt, and get full power. We often break our motors in that way... If you are racing stock, you need to be learning as much as you can about tuning a motor yourself. The second you take the motor apart, its no longer a "pro" edition. People get a false sense of security from buying a "pro" rather than a standard. Being able to tune the motor to the type of vehicle you are driving, and to the track you are running on is vital. EddieO, Peter, Garrett and the guys at Br00d build up the motor, and make sure there are no factory defects. I've had new motors come straight from trinity with egg-shaped comm's. It's just a fact, the motors are built by humans... So, just make sure you aren't falling into the trap of relying on a "pro" edition to get you around the track... IMO a pro simply lets you run the motor a couple times right out of the package before having to rebuild it, rather than going through it right from the get-go. Being able to tune brushes, springs, alignment etc.. is what will win you races in the long run, not buying a pro version.

-Brett
BrettBowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 05:43 PM   #19
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettBowen
If you are racing stock, you need to be learning as much as you can about tuning a motor yourself.

-Brett
Oh believe me, I put $200 into lathe equipment for that very reason. I'm stocked up on brushes, springs, lubes, motor gidgets and gadgets. I'm all over that.

But one thing I do expect from a "Pro" motor - especially one that is claimed to have been tuned - is for it to be assembled.

I definitely don't expect it to compete with the Br00ds, Birdman's, etc., or even one of my own (once I learn the in's and out's, that is). I just want it to be put together .
Old 04-29-2006, 05:47 PM   #20
Tech Lord

very true.i personally prefer teardown motors so i can use my preferred brushes and springs.you still need to size the bushings,allign the hoods and shim the arm.i like to do this myself.you need to understand that stock motors are so picky when it comes to performance.if trinity or any of the motor tuners were to spend the time doing these things to every motor that went out,they would lose there shirts.all the motor tuners out there use there own personal favorite brush spring combo and will set you up with the right combo for your application.the motor will be right for the 2-4 runs before it needs to be rebuilt.it pays to fiddle with the motors and learn about them so you can duplicate or enhance the motor you have.i know that the tuners do offer rebuilds and that will help greatly if you have the time to send it back but if your like me,i am always rebuilding my motor at the track.no time for me to have anyone else do it for me.plus,i like doing it.its part of the fun.
J Concepts
protc3 is offline   Reply With Quote