Like Tree379Likes

Tamiya TRF 421

Old 01-30-2024, 08:50 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I just hope itís not $1200.00. They need to be in the 6-800 dollar range to be competitive
Raman likes this.
Old 01-30-2024, 08:55 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Raman
Joel, No one will ever be happy with Tamiya. If they continued with the 420X style, feedback would be Tamiya is just releasing kits. They finally changed to lower and upper arms like MTC2 and now it's.. they copied A, B , C Brand etc. All current 1/10 chassis in truth have copied Awesomatix. The only thing they haven't copied is their shock design.

At the end of the day, Tamiya only cares for feedback from its racers in Japan.
This is the truth in all forms of motorsports. The saying goes "If you don't look like everything else, you are either innovating, or doing it wrong". The Awesomatix was the last true innovation in touring car tech as you mentioned, and it was a risky one at the time. The fact that all other cars have morphed with it just shows this. That doesn't mean that these other cars can't make small improvements on that design and continue to elevate performance.

I am with you as well, I see no reason not to have stiff plastics in key locations.

This car will be more money than I am willing to pay for a "competitive" touring car, but I am still happy there is a flagship Tamiya car out there!

Zack
Lonestar and Raman like this.
Old 01-30-2024, 08:57 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)

Originally Posted by xtrememadness
I just hope itís not $1200.00. They need to be in the 6-800 dollar range to be competitive
Nah, it will be $1500 😂
STLNLST and gigaplex like this.
Old 01-30-2024, 09:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Tamiya may officially list such a price, but actual shop prices will be much lower.
Old 01-30-2024, 09:50 AM
Tech Adept

I was so excited about this release but after seeing the pictures I feel like I am looking at a lazy attempt to release a kit. Even the blue looks blah or it may just be my disappointment. The TRF 4XX series used to lead their designs and the other lower end kits would all have some components shared but this looks backwards. I am very sad
Old 01-30-2024, 10:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

I feel for you Tamiya fans, it's been a long time between drinks for you, and to be honest it's not a groundbreaking concept car. The thing is, you could get super melancholy about it, or just celebrate and be happy that they haven't entirely given up on TRF TC. I've been long gone from being a Tamiya fan boi, but it's just nice to see them still in the game. Maybe the TRF422 will be the new innovator?
Old 01-30-2024, 10:30 AM
Tech Apprentice

As long as they keep’m coming.. lots of carbon.. lots of blue.. I’ll be on Buyee looking for a mildly used 420x.. meanwhile.. still waiting for a new TRF F1 car..
Old 01-30-2024, 11:09 AM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dan the Man
I feel for you Tamiya fans, it's been a long time between drinks for you, and to be honest it's not a groundbreaking concept car. The thing is, you could get super melancholy about it, or just celebrate and be happy that they haven't entirely given up on TRF TC. I've been long gone from being a Tamiya fan boi, but it's just nice to see them still in the game. Maybe the TRF422 will be the new innovator?
The Tamiya TRF cars have seemed like they are lately a few years behind whatever is currently out. I think the last time they really led the competitive touring car field was the TRF417.

Now the people who buy them are mostly Tamiya fanbois (like myself). When I'm not racing my Tamiyas, I'm racing my Xray X4 and Mugen MTC2.
Raman likes this.
Old 01-30-2024, 11:32 AM
Tech Champion

To add to Dan, there no longer exists a Tamiya race team. I know itís a tough pill to swallow for most here that they no longer are heavily invested in the racing scene. They bowed out 7+ years ago and theyíre not going to come back.

This is why they release kits to catch up for their loyal fan base.

If you have no intention to compete at the top, why invest in R&D to lead and innovate.

These TRF cars are the smallest fraction of their RC sales.
DirkW likes this.
Old 01-30-2024, 12:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Caster setting looks to be incorporated in the upper arm mount...assuming with mating grooved surfaces...
I don't see anything earth-shattering...but even if it is just TRF material and part quality in a current design...it has serious potential

Old 01-30-2024, 01:28 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Joel, No one will ever be happy with Tamiya. If they continued with the 420X style, feedback would be Tamiya is just releasing kits. They finally changed to lower and upper arms like MTC2 and now it's.. they copied A, B , C Brand etc. All current 1/10 chassis in truth have copied Awesomatix. The only thing they haven't copied is their shock design.

There's another option. Design something new.
Old 01-30-2024, 01:32 PM
Tech Adept

I like it - good to see Tamiya continuing with the high end stuff. The builds are always lovely, the quality is always high - and the cars are never slow (we'll ignore the TA06 and TRF416).
Old 01-30-2024, 01:55 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by gigaplex
There's another option. Design something new.
Tamiya did try out some new stuff on the TA08, and the single belt TA07 before that, and the TA06 was mad.

They don't normally take big risks on the TRF cars - this will be the biggest change in years for them.
Old 01-30-2024, 03:00 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by BuggyFan21
Tamiya did try out some new stuff on the TA08, and the single belt TA07 before that, and the TA06 was mad.

They don't normally take big risks on the TRF cars - this will be the biggest change in years for them.
Well said.
BuggyFan21 likes this.
Old 01-30-2024, 03:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Hi Raman,

I've seen a lot more innovative yet functional designs from people on RCTech (Andreas, H2e, wtcc, Fernando, etc).
Brands will usually buy, dissect, measure, test, analyze competitors cars and build something better (e.g. arm material, shock location, etc).
This one looks like a product of a lazy classmate.
I don't see how any chassis copied Awesomatix. If it is the triangular links, I've seen it on my 414 a decade before Awesomatix. The TT01 used pillow balls and A arms at the steering end way before Awesomatix. The MTC2 upper arm one could say took inspiration from something like the TT01.

At the end of the the day Tamiya still has their blue bling bling hypnotic spend all your money effect

Cheers!

Raman, tommy911t and Lukyduckie like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.