R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-28-2006, 08:02 PM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to uniquexme Send a message via Yahoo to uniquexme Send a message via Skype™ to uniquexme
Default Cleaning ur EP car

would also like to know how u guys do the cleaning? basically i use a brush to brush off all the dirt on the car, and shower my body shell after every run. i think its time i do some really clean car. (but was thinking since it always get dirty after every run, lazy to clean). do u guys remove every part? i found that they most dirty area are the diff (where the dog bone goes in), so sometimes i use cotton bud to clean them.

wat about those moving parts like bearing, bushing? wat do u use to clean them? and how to oil them? the only oil that i have is Trinity Royal Bearing Oil. kekeke.. wat other lubricants are needed? the white and black grease that comes with the yokomo kit almost finish liao. is it a must to use black grease on the diff, and white grease on the absorber? TQ.
uniquexme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 08:17 PM   #2
Tech Addict

"wax on, wax off"
craziracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 08:24 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Easy way is to blow the dust/dirt off with an air compressor, Then take your electronics out the car and sray the whole car with motor cleaner. Rebuilt the diff every couple of races, specially when your running a belt car. And also re-built the shocks when you notice the rebound of each shaft is not even on all four.

Once a month I take my car apart and clean everything and I always soak my bearing with a motor sray over night just to lossen up all the dust/dirt that accomulated inside the bearing then re-lube all the bearings. This will make your drivetrain free and smooth as butter.
Jochim_18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 10:57 PM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (96%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to pinggoy

just like what jochim said blow it with air compressor every after run if you or your fellow racer has one..if not just brush it off with medium stiff paint brush
and once in a while take the car apart for 2 reasons( first .for cleaning and second, to check wears on the parts..
pinggoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 11:27 PM   #5
Tech Master

if you dont have a air compressor get tose key bord cleaning bottles from office depot...there filled with compressed co2 which turn into air when u pull the trigger... good as a air compressor
hpipro321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 04:53 AM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to HotrodHopkins

i as well use a compressor to spray-clean between races. I just have a small airbrush compressor with a broken airbrush.

As for the bearings, WD-40 works good to clean them out as well.

-1990 Chevrolet K1500 Silverado TBI350 "Heavy Half". 1971 Chevrolet Nova

-My lug nuts require more Torque than your Honda makes.
HotrodHopkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 05:47 AM   #7
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to uniquexme Send a message via Yahoo to uniquexme Send a message via Skype™ to uniquexme

if you dont have a air compressor get tose key bord cleaning bottles from office depot...there filled with compressed co2 which turn into air when u pull the trigger... good as a air compressor

hmm, wonder wat the above means, how to do this? guys, the only thing that i have is brush, bearing oil and WD-40. how do u clean the bearings with WD-40? do u remove all bearings and soak them in WD-40? or just spray into bearings? and then spray bearing oil over them? thats how u clean? coz i m trying to clean up my car for the 1st time. i mean total cleaning.
Old 04-29-2006, 05:57 AM   #8
Tech Elite

yeah, for the bearings i normally spray the WD-40 tru them, let them dry, then put some bearing oil in them.

Old 04-29-2006, 06:30 AM   #9
Tech Addict

For simple basic cleaning, I use compressor for air blow, paint brush and tooth brush.

For general cleaning, I disassemble everything which includes the chassis, gears and diff, dogbones, motors and suspension. I also clean the bearings by cooking them in WD-40. Let all the bubbles come out from the bearing while boiling the WD-40 in a tin can. All the dirt will come out with the bubbles from the bearing. In this way you also get to re-tighten all the screws upon assembly.

Old 04-29-2006, 08:27 AM   #10
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniquexme
would also like to know how u guys do the cleaning? basically i use a brush to brush off all the dirt on the car, and shower my body shell after every run. i think its time i do some really clean car. (but was thinking since it always get dirty after every run, lazy to clean). do u guys remove every part? i found that they most dirty area are the diff (where the dog bone goes in), so sometimes i use cotton bud to clean them.

wat about those moving parts like bearing, bushing? wat do u use to clean them? and how to oil them? the only oil that i have is Trinity Royal Bearing Oil. kekeke.. wat other lubricants are needed? the white and black grease that comes with the yokomo kit almost finish liao. is it a must to use black grease on the diff, and white grease on the absorber? TQ.
You can go to Harbor Freight and purchase a small portable air compressor for $30.00. If you buy the cans of compressed air you will pay $10.00 for three and they will not last very long. For on road electric, air is a great way to clean your car between runs. But eventually you will need to take the car apart to do a thorough cleaning. The more often you do a thorough maintence the longer your parts will last before having to replace them, this is especially true for your bearings. In addition to WD40 to clean your bearings you can use motor spray with an RPM Bearing Buster to clean them out thoroughly. this also works quite well.
Tsquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 10:11 AM   #11
Tech Adept

I got a Campbell-Hausfeld 2 gallon compressor off e-bay for $60 delivered, works great. Looks just like this one; http://cgi.ebay.com/CAMPBELL-HAUSFELD-2-GALLON-AIR-COMPRESSOR_W0QQitemZ7612801753QQcategoryZ22662QQrd Z1QQcmdZViewItem
BimmerDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 01:24 PM   #12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

I pull the car completly apart before every race day. Wont necessarily rebuild shocks and diffs every time but i'll go throuhg and clean all the chassis parts and bearings when I do. I'm just used to doing it this often since I ran offroad for so many years.
Old 04-29-2006, 05:42 PM   #13
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerDriver
I got a Campbell-Hausfeld 2 gallon compressor off e-bay for $60 delivered, works great. Looks just like this one; http://cgi.ebay.com/CAMPBELL-HAUSFELD-2-GALLON-AIR-COMPRESSOR_W0QQitemZ7612801753QQcategoryZ22662QQrd Z1QQcmdZViewItem
if you dont like ebay...you can buy one just like tat one at pep-boys for 10$ more
hpipro321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 02:23 AM   #14
Tech Fanatic

thinking of a small portable air compressor for cleaning my car as well, would like to know if it can be used with an airbrush for painting the body as well. Wat would be the appropriate spec of air compressor to get, and around how much. TQ
Old 05-02-2006, 04:23 AM   #15
Tech Elite

I have an Aztek AC200.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHK96&P=7