R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-02-2003, 05:05 PM   #31
Tech Regular

John,
We run the batteries forward, and inboard like I mentioned before. Weight is added in the spot beside the motor that you used. We have not tryed to balance side to side , we just set the tweak even, with a balance beam.
We run foams too, so our set-up is much stiffer than yours.
Usually yellow front and purple rear springs, 60 weight in front and 40 in the rear.

Ted
Ted Flack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 10:31 PM   #32
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John Stranahan

Ted-Thanks.
John Stranahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2003, 12:27 AM   #33
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Northerner

one thing that should be done on any new kit that i didnt see mentioned was to get a 4-40 tap and do all the holes with the tap and not a screw
Northerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2003, 09:36 AM   #34
Tech Elite

Default Droop

I mentioned the tap, but a screw seemed to work fine on my kit. The Aluminum screws are smaller diameter than the steel screw and are easy to install and remove now.

I measured the droop with the supplied gauge. Front 3.5 rear 6mm. The front is measured on the screw boss which explains the large difference. The actual droop is very similar front and back. I updated the setup with these numbers.
Old 01-04-2003, 09:41 AM   #35
Tech Elite

Default Bevel on Shock Pistons

We have a turn at the end of our straight on the indoor asphalt with a bump near the apex. A lot of the cars are hitting this bump and loosing traction. They are bouncing up off the ground. I tuned the shocks to have easier bump travel than rebound travel by putting the bevel on the top of the piston holes. The roll stiffness of the car is also reduced a bit, so you might need about 5 weight heavier oil. The traction over the bump is much improved with this mod.

Last edited by John Stranahan; 01-01-2006 at 03:44 PM.
Old 01-04-2003, 10:07 AM   #36
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Send a message via AIM to TommyGun43

Ted, what brand tweak board or balance beam do
you use? Do you know where I could pick one up?

Tom
TommyGun43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2003, 12:13 PM   #37
Tech Elite

Default Tweak Stations

I have the MIP tweak station. It is nicely made from solid stock. It has caged ball bearings for the pivot, and it dissasembles easily for storage. Your Hobby shop can order it.
Old 01-04-2003, 02:19 PM   #38
Tech Regular

Re: Tweak Station..What John said.

Ted
Ted Flack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2003, 09:16 AM   #39
Tech Apprentice

Post Chassic balancing

Hey guys. I just recently bought a TC3 FT and think that (in my way) how to be sure at car balance is wright way. I drill two 2mm holes to front and rear. Then i took my HUDY balance tools and put car stand to them and voi`la.... now you can see how much the leads you need to put to right side. Electrics i use in my car are LRP V7.1 esc and Phaser reciever and Futaba S9450 servo and Modified motor... so i did it this way, put leads to motor side slot 22g and esc side 22g + ponder 22g i install above the servo, because it`s a safe place ie that original place (my opinion) it is a little bit higher than usually, but....so what... safety first when you are driven a top score... wright?? I think at after that my car is quite balance now ie left and right side. Ready to battle weight is 1510g now... test begin next week.
Proto pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2003, 04:24 PM   #40
Tech Rookie

Hey John, its Austin, haven't tried your setup yet but I Plan to, I am just here to say that John's book is VERY informative high quality... I think I cut about nine inches off my car's (TC3) wiring going ot half plugs, also, John I have my Chameleon two geared at 7, do they run better at a higher ratio (7.5)?
AustinS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2003, 04:35 PM   #41
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to Craig

Where do I get the book?
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2003, 06:06 PM   #42
Tech Elite

Austin- My TC3 seems to have better lap times geared lower. Tommy runs pretty fast with higher gears than yours. He is even dumping with a 19 turn. I am only using about 2000 mA-h. I plan to gear up a tiny bit but not much maybe about 7.4 or so. Christian is running a similar setup to mine. He is using the rear shock tower on the front and has the blue springs one hole further out than mine.

Craig. Check my WWW above.

Balancing left to right

I though I would add a low and a hightech way to balance your car left to right in addition to the method use by Proto-pilot. Take two x-acto knives and pick up the car right in the center of both shock towers with the tips. If the left and right side pick up off the ground at the same time then you are in good balance.

With two scales put two beams on the scales and then put the left and right side tires on the beams. Adjust ballast till the scales read the same.

Last edited by John Stranahan; 01-05-2003 at 06:13 PM.
Old 01-06-2003, 08:52 AM   #43
Tech Elite

Default Corner Weights

So you have the car balanced left to right now. You should have the side to side position of the ballast or transponder determined. Now you have to decide where to put the ballast or transponder fore and aft. One way you can do this is with corner weight scales. See the photo below. First put the front wheels on the scales (you need at least two matched scales). Tape the transponder or ballast where you think it should go fore and aft. Adjust the front spring collars until the front wheels weigh the same. The rear wheels are on little pedestals the same height as the scales. Now reverse the car and put the rear wheels on the scales. If they weigh the same then you have found the best location for the ballast or transponder. If not move the ballast fore or aft and repeat the process. It is best to use setup wheels for this process.

The tweak station will also give you some clues if you have a problem with the corner weights. If when you have set the tweak using a tweak station, you find that one of the spring collars is always lower than than the other side (say on the right rear of the TC3) and the ride height is OK, then you probably don't have enough weight on that wheel (or on the opposite corner). You are having to compensate by jacking extra weight on that wheel with the spring collar. If your weight is placed right in the car, when you adjust the tweak and reverse the car on the tweak station, the tweak station will still indicate true and the collars on the left side of the car will be very close in position to those on the right side. The tweak station is less sensitive than corner weight scales, so I use the scales one time when I first assemble the car. From then on at the track it is only neccesary to check tweak using a tweak station.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tc3 on corner weight scales.jpg (87.4 KB, 757 views)

Last edited by John Stranahan; 01-06-2003 at 10:26 AM.
Old 01-06-2003, 09:35 AM   #44
Tech Elite

Default Tweak

Once you have the weight right in the car then you can set the car up for a race. Set the ride height and droop. Here is a low and high tech way to set the tweak.

With the droop already carefully set you can adjust tweak by lifting the front of the car in the center with your X-acto knife. If one front wheel lifts off the table before the other then that wheel is light. Adjust the spring collars on the REAR of the car and try again. When you are finished with the front repeat the process at the rear of the car.

Alternatively set the tweak with a tweak station like in the photo below of the MIP tweak station. I normally place the front of the car on the swiveling part of the tweak station. I used the rear in the photo so you could see the bubble. The bubble is left on the tweak station indicating the left rear or the right front is light. Adjust the collars on either or both of these two wheels downward until the bubble is centered. I always pick the collar that will make the left and right side collars the most even. A tweak station does both ends of the car at the same time. No need to reverse the car. If you do reverse the car and the weight is right in the car you will get the same reading.

What you are doing when you set tweak is making the cross corner weights the same. You are eliminating wedge in the chassis. When you set tweak correctly, the car will corner the same left as right. If you are pushing left and hooking right ( or vice versa) then you probably have a problem with the tweak on the car.

(note that I don't have the car centered on the tweak station like you should when taking a reading.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tc3 on tweak station.jpg (69.5 KB, 849 views)

Last edited by John Stranahan; 01-06-2003 at 09:39 AM.
Old 01-06-2003, 09:29 PM   #45
Tech Rookie

Yah It's pretty funny watching Tommy dump on the last lap with a 19turn and 3000s
AustinS is offline   Reply With Quote