R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-16-2003, 10:36 PM   #391
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I know the ball cups that come on the car have a real bad tendency to pop off with contact on the rear tire. RPM or AE truck ends work way better.

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2003, 03:32 AM   #392
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

sorry for posting this all over..
but anyone can confirm that the spindle set for Losi xxx-s:
A-9753 can actually be plucked into the TC3?
i kinda need the exactly all in that package(c-hubs and steering blocks)but to get them from AE would cost more than $30 bucks!!
thanks,
Lee
lee82gx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2003, 06:42 AM   #393
Tech Master

Send a message via Yahoo to Mike D

Quote:
Originally posted by RBLove
Mike D,

Are you currently running a spool on carpet with foams? If so, what is your opinion and what is your set up if you do not mind posting it.

Thanks,
Rob Love
Rob - I have tried running the spool on carpet but it just isn't consistent. I prefer running diffs front and rear. The front diff can be tightened various amounts to gain the spool handling properties without all the inconsistencies and increased wear. I have not started running carpet yet this season. The following is my carpet setup from Cleveland last year:

Front: .063 sway bar,60wt, #3, yellow springs, tc3 front shock tower, shock mount out on tower/in on arm, camber link up and short, 4 caster, 1.5 camber, tc3 steering blocks, no bump shims, F-0 block, 5mm ride height, 8mm ride height when tires leave ground(I don't know the settings on the droop gauge)

Rear: no sway bar, 40wt, #3, copper springs, tc3 rear tower, shock mount middle on tower/out on arm, camber link up and long, 1 degree losi hubs reversed-ball stud mounted in outer hole with .040 washer, short wheelbase, F block instead of R block, R-3-0 block (with F, R-3-0 and losi 1 degree hubs reversed total rear toe = 1 degree), 1.5 camber, 5.5mm ride height, 9mm ride height when tires leave ground (droop)

Protoform Stratus (old style-not 2.0), Batteries back, IRS aluminum diffs front and rear, IRS aluminum dogbones w/ pin cushions, Jaco purple/orange fronts @ 59mm, Jaco Purple rears @59mm, full compound rear/half front
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2003, 06:48 AM   #394
Tech Master

Send a message via Yahoo to Mike D

Quote:
Originally posted by lee82gx
sorry for posting this all over..
but anyone can confirm that the spindle set for Losi xxx-s:
A-9753 can actually be plucked into the TC3?
i kinda need the exactly all in that package(c-hubs and steering blocks)but to get them from AE would cost more than $30 bucks!!
thanks,
Lee
Lee - Yes, Losi Part # A-9753 (c-hubs and steering blocks) are a direct for the TC3.
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2003, 06:55 AM   #395
Tech Addict

Thumbs up

Yes, its a direct fit.
Old 08-18-2003, 07:34 AM   #396
Tech Addict

Thumbs up

Old 08-18-2003, 08:28 AM   #397
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Thanks!
Domo Arigato Gosaimasta.
lee82gx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2003, 07:37 PM   #398
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rayhuang

Well-I ran my Brand new FTTc3 today on carpet with foam tires and went 0.3 seconds faster than I ever had on our current layout and did those laps pretty consistently. Thats 0.3 faster than with my Xray and over 0.5 faster than my old FTTc3 which I sold.

Whats different about this car as opposed to the old TC3 is I shimmed up the diffs and input shafts pretty tight. after one run-my drivetrain was super free-but the tolerances on everything were super tight. I didnt touch the tranny with any power tools. Just a scrap here and there with my x-acto blade!!!

Also-a big thank you to MikeD!! I ran your set-up almost verbatim and it was really good. I ran 2* more caster as that suits me better and I ran just a touch more rear toe in. I ran the r-2-0 block with 1/2* Losi hubs on backwards.

As my good buddy Rob Love would say "its Money"!!!

Ray
rayhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2003, 11:42 PM   #399
Tech Initiate

John,

I have been following this thread with intrest, although I admit I don't understand much of the technical aspects of the discussion. Early in the thread you stated you would look to compare the XXX-S G+ and the FTTC3... can you do so in a brief laymans explination for someone looking into getting into racing TC's? I know that both cars are winners and really either is an excellent choice but can you sum up the basic pros and cons of each vehicle?

Which is easier to build and wrench on?
Which is more durable?
Which is easier to drive for a new driver?
Which is better for tight twisty carpet tracks vs. large outdoor asphault?
Which can be tuned more?
Which avoids tweak better?
The shaft vs. belt concept?

I am just totally torn by what I should get... they both have many things that appeal to me and I have read a thousand reviews, opinions etc. but with your well thought out posts I trust you can clear maybe one or two of my ideas about these cars...

Thanks SO much,

Dave

PS: I am going to run this car at a small indoor carpet track this winter, with the possibility of running it outdoors on a larger track next year. I will run a Novak Brushless for ease of use... there will be a brushless class as well as being allowed in open mod. Plus to be honest I will need to do a lot more practicing then racing... and with a BL I won't have to worry about motor maintenance instead spending time on setup and driving.
saabcaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 08:29 AM   #400
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John Stranahan

Dave-I have quite a bit of experience with both the Losi and the TC3. Here are my thoughts.

Which is easier to build and wrench on?
Both are easy to work on. Diffs come out easier on the losi as the shock towers remain in place.

Which is more durable?
Losi arms and drive axles are bigger and are more durable.

Which is easier to drive for a new driver?
Both are equally easy to drive.

Which is better for tight twisty carpet tracks vs. large outdoor asphault?
Twisty carpet. TC3-better acceleration out of the corners. Large Outdoor Asphalt Losi has better top speed and a sealed drive train. The sealed drive train keeps the little rocks from destroying the spur on a regular basis outdoors. This is less of a problem indoors. The lower traction negates the TC3 advantage out of the corners.

Which can be tuned more?
Equally tunable. It is a little easier to shim minor antisquat/prosquat and kickup on the Losi. You can use some Losi parts on the TC3 to fine tune rear toe.

Which avoids tweak better? Losi chassis stays flat much better. Avoid chassis tweak by removing the motor after each race on the TC3. The motor heat will move the right rear corner up on the TC3.

The shaft vs. belt concept? Shaft is faster on a high grip track. Belt has more top speed. The belt is better on a loose oudoor track. The belt gives the car more control coming out of the loose corners.

In Summary for a high grip track the TC3 would be faster. For a loose outdoor track the Losi would be my favorite. The graphite parts on the Factory Team Kit don't hold up that well when you run into the boards. They were designed ultra light for all out performance. I suggest the plastic car to begin with.

Ray-Just shows that all that chopping and grinding on the diff cases maybe is just not neccesary. Nice results.

Last edited by John Stranahan; 08-26-2003 at 08:53 AM.
John Stranahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 06:44 PM   #401
Tech Initiate

Thanks John that was exactly what I was looking for!
saabcaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2003, 07:57 AM   #402
Tech Champion

Heres the old caster monster rearing its ugly head. If you read Losi's manual and Associated's manuals of there 4wd sedans-they state opposite affects of caster. AE says more (more leaned back) caster has more turn in and less exit steering.

I am convinced after having driven and done serious testing of about 5 different cars with many variations of suspension that -as hard as this is for me to say-that Associated is wrong. When I need more steering on exit-or need the car more planted at mid-corner to exit-more caster always does the trick.

Am I Crazy???
Old 08-27-2003, 08:48 AM   #403
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John Stranahan

not crazy. I have found the same. More caster gives me more mid corner steering traction. Less caster gives me more initial turn in.
John Stranahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2003, 01:18 PM   #404
Tech Master

Guys,

I think you should agree that it differs according to your driving style.
Wheter you're an off-power or on-power racer.
Caster acts somewhat differnt on power as it does offpower.
Did you ever experiment with adjusting you're driving skill to test this?!

Please led me know wheter you tried this.
PizzaDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2003, 07:42 PM   #405
Tech Champion

I think it might be more accurate to say that more or less caster may suit you depending on if you drive into corners on or off-power. I think what your saying is correct, but not quite how you put it. YOu almost make it sound like caster works differnt per driver.

It is also my beleif that more caster also gives more high-spped steering. About the only benefit to running little caster is a lot of turn in. But thats a carpet/foam mentality-I bet. Guys who run rubber tires dont seem to run a lot of caster.