R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-24-2003, 09:30 AM   #331
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

I don't know the part #, but the Graphite conversion does come with the droop screws. As far as a bearing set, if your willing to spend some cash, Acer Racing's Ceramic Bearings are supposed to be silky smooth.
RCBuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 10:06 AM   #332
Tech Regular

Talking

thanks for the response man i think ill buy those bearings i just need to know where to get them i know it will be like a 100somthing just for bearings
jiggamacdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 10:08 AM   #333
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

no prob....I believe you can get them directly from acer: www.acerracing.com
RCBuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 12:35 PM   #334

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to StephenSobottka

acer bearings rip. they are a tad bit expensive but they are very good, they even include steering rack bearings that are oiled for the tc3 kit!
Old 04-26-2003, 09:20 PM   #335
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Munrath, sorry I haven't responded, I'm in the middle of finals...
Anyways, the setup I was running was slightly different than Barry's, but it is very close to what he ran in colorado and at the reedy race... The changes I made was to go to 30 wt all around, front shock tower and the 3+2 block in the rear and no rear sway bar, everything else is identical to Barry's 2002 nats setup... It makes the car really easy to drive and very neutral. It feels almost like a one-way car with a spool.

Barry ran 25 wt with losi rear 1 deg hubs backwards with the 3+2 block in the rear (to give it 2 deg rear toe with a longer camber link), everything else I believe was identical to the 2002 nats setup (oh, no rear swaybar either)

About the nats, I was going to go but out track is closing down... I don't have a place to race onroad and practice for now, so I might have to wait till next year. (plus I just spent all the money for my trip on an 8th scale buggy since it's all the race out here in Houston)
Old 04-26-2003, 09:22 PM   #336
Tech Elite

to clarify, it feels like you are driving a double one way car, even though I had a spool in the front of my car... Good for smooth round driving style... Barry's car squared the corners off more...
Old 04-27-2003, 09:02 AM   #337
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default SPUR GEAR

Just a question to the TC3 guru's out there.

What will be the difference in performance if I use a bigger spur gear (75) than 72t?

example:
75 spur / 26 pinion= 7.21
72 spur / 25 pinion = 7.20

I both end up with the same ratio but will there be a difference in performance since the spur is bigger? (acceleration??)

I run on stock, and the tracks is big, flowing with some tight turns?

Thanks for the inputs!!!

Lem

I just reposted this here: seems like that the spur with a smaller number of teeth will accelerate faster than the with one with a bigger number of teeth even if they have the same FINAL DRIVE RATIO?
lem2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 10:02 AM   #338
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John Stranahan

There won't be any difference you can notice since the overall ratios are so close. Use a different spur only to get slightly different ratio's.
John Stranahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 10:09 AM   #339
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by John Stranahan
There won't be any difference you can notice since the overall ratios are so close. Use a different spur only to get slightly different ratio's.
Thanks John!!! Please browse to the other thread TC3forum and see the other's input on the matter and comment. TIA
Old 04-27-2003, 12:33 PM   #340
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to D_Ames

Quote:
Originally posted by CristianTabush
Barry ran 25 wt all around #2's, If I'm not wrong... The reason why his spool isn't blue is because he had his made by a guy at socal out of stainless steel... It was beautiful...

The spool Barry Baker is running is a prototype and they are not stainless steel. They are made out of hardened tool steel.
They are about the same weight as a oneway (a little less than the new heavy duty oneway) and will last 1000 times longer than the aluminum pieces.

I am not ready to sell these yet but if any local So Cal people would like one you can e-mail me below.
D_Ames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 01:49 PM   #341
Tech Elite

lem2-I have seen the arguments on spur gear size. Here are a couple. A smaller spur has less inertia and will accelerate quicker. Here is one that is rarely mentioned; a smaller spur has a less ideal contact angle where the teeth touch, an angle that is not exactly on the circumference. A smaller spur therefore has less efficiency and thus will accelerate slower. These two factors are opposite. In the range of spurs that will actually fit in the car and give a desired gear ratio it is hard to notice any difference. These are tiny factors. Just forget about tiny factors that influence the car little like spur gear size and worry about huge factors like the actual gear ratio. Tire selection and preparation is also a huge factor. Balancing the oversteer understeer properties of the car so that it is easy to drive is also a huge factor.
Old 04-28-2003, 08:16 AM   #342
Tech Elite

Default John

Thank you for your time and the response!!
Much Appreciated!! Will do what you said!!
Thanks again for clearing the cloud in my head!!
Peace!!

Maraming Salamat!!!! (in english: thank you very much!!!)

Lem
Old 04-28-2003, 05:30 PM   #343
Tech Regular

The biggest thing about running different size spur gears is the movement of the motor. Say if you start with a 72 tooth spur and a 25 tooth pinion, to get the same final ratio you could go to 75 spur and 26 pinion. By doing this the motor is shifted towards the outside of the car and thus could change the handling...it's a small part, but does effect the performace.

John: Are you attending the Reedy Race?
51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 06:08 PM   #344
Tech Elite

51-I won't be going to the Reedy race.

Christian- I got your message below. I'll plan to show.

Last edited by John Stranahan; 05-01-2003 at 11:11 AM.
Old 04-30-2003, 02:53 PM   #345
Tech Elite

John, M&M is trying to hold a club race on saturday. I'm planning on going... Would be nice to see you there... Any of the other local Houston guys should try and show up... The track really isn't bad, plus it's a place to race!