R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-11-2003, 10:14 PM   #136
Tech Adept

John: Before you hear from Nang or anyone else tomorrow. I'm going to try the TC3. Let's see which car I'm faster with.
racingdc9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 01:33 AM   #137
Tech Master

Hi guys. Greetings from Malta.

JOHN S.

On the question of body roll: forgetting the scientific arguement for a while, I have always been thought to spread the weight when loading a van or a truck, and always start in the middle. It makes sense. If you load a van badly, putting all the load on one side - say the near side (left) for arguments sake - then you risk rolling it far more easily when turning right handers, but it will be alot steadier on left handers. Are you with me.

Now lets take the TC3 as our example. I know that the situation is not so serious here, but it is serious enough for most racers to go to great lengths to bring their cells further into the middle. It brings the CG closer to the middle.

Now when we next race on an anticlockwise circuit, I shall put the cells right out again. This is why they do it on oval racing cars, real and RC - remember the Indy cars of old which had longer suspension arms on the outside?

From a scientific point of view you are right, but in practice it doesn't seem to work that way. That's why we try and bundle all the weight as near to the centre, and as low as possible.

You are right of course about it being more responsive. Actually it's almost too responsive for my liking, though Josh thinks it's great. But then I mustn't forget my 56 year old reflexes, eye sight, etc.

Oh by the way, TC3s ruled again at the Snowbirds - 3 TC3s in the top 4 can't be bad!

Regards

Joe from sunny Malta.
johnbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 08:09 AM   #138
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John Stranahan

racingdc9-should be an interesting experiment.

Joe-I aggree that if you overload one side of car you will produce more roll in one direction only, and that for oval racing the desired setup is to overload the left side. This evens the tire loading while turning left and produces more left cornering traction. A touring car that is required to turn in both directions should have the left side weigh the same as the right regardles of the placement of the batteries. Ballast should be moved around to make it so. The module can be moved inboard for example. I had a report on a previous thread that fullsize touring race cars are putting ballast in the door sills rather than on the center line to smooth the roll response.

Bearings-I don't see any grease oozing out of the metal shielded bearings from Acer. There was oil inside the plastic bag they came in. So if you like to run oil in your bearings this seems like the way to go. Have not inspected the polyamide sealed bearings yet.

Last edited by John Stranahan; 02-12-2003 at 08:37 AM.
John Stranahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 10:01 PM   #139
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to mab_man20

Thanks john.

Keep the great advice coming!
mab_man20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 11:11 PM   #140
Tech Adept

John: I got .2 faster. I ran an 11.6, my fastest was an 11.8

Stock motor.
Old 02-14-2003, 07:40 AM   #141
Tech Elite

racingdc9-That's a pretty big improvement from just changing cars. Hard to beat that gear drive on a high grip track.
Old 02-14-2003, 11:52 AM   #142
Tech Adept

John: yeah Christian and I were estatic. Now I need to drive more consistent and keep the lap times in the 11's.

It seemed that if I role the corners and don't punch out of the corners too quick by going full throttle, I was faster.

well we may change the layout this monday
Old 02-18-2003, 06:02 PM   #143
Tech Elite

Bearings- My Acer bearings have eight runs now. No grease inside. Wheels still spin for 10-11 seconds tires on pinion off. Been ill so I have not raced with them yet. I was worried they would get grittly today on the new dusty layout. Diff bearings are still smooth.

Chassis Milling.

CT removed a lot of the center rib and moved the batteries inward. Lap times were the same, but some chassis stiffness was missed. He has been using some partly cut away chassis braces front and back to add flex to the original chassis. He is thinking of replacing these back with the stock parts to add a little stiffness.

Side to side balance with the battery moved in.

We worked on the side to side balance of CT's car a little and ended up moving the transponder module in over the servo instead of outboard on an IRS transponder mount. Not as pretty but the side to side balance is better.

Last edited by John Stranahan; 02-19-2003 at 04:44 PM.
Old 02-18-2003, 09:54 PM   #144
Tech Regular

I have another slight problem and have been unable to diagnose it.
Recently the the gears (diff and pinion) have been making more noise. I checked the shims, all three were installed correctly. I then wondered if the gears had worn out a little so i bought a full set (front and rear) and got those in tonight, yet the noise is exactly the same. I then started messing with different numbers of shims in different places with no luck. I did notice that the bearing into the rear diff case was able to move a little forward and backword. Could this be the problem? Any other ideas?

The car used to be completely silent, no it sounds like something died in it.

Old 02-18-2003, 10:06 PM   #145
Tech Elite

Noise might be from the spur gear. Have you replaced this? Sometimes tiny rocks get caught in it. Scrape these out.

Check and make sure the pinion gear inside the diff has a little play when you rotate the input shaft back and forth. Remove shims until you get some play. The rear bearing on the rear input shaft has some ridges in the bearing seat to locate it fore and aft. It should not move very much forward or backward.

Last edited by John Stranahan; 02-19-2003 at 02:46 PM.
Old 02-19-2003, 12:42 AM   #146
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to mkennedy

you need to have all the shims, just not exactly in the order of the manual. tolerances change during molding, so you should adjust to your liking. hope it helps...
Old 02-19-2003, 01:54 AM   #147
Tech Master

Hi guys. Greetings from Malta.

We had our first real test of the chassis mods on my son's TC3 on Sunday.

Unfortunately they turned out to be quite inconclusive. Read on.

The track had damp patches, and the weather was cold and windy. Josh started on pole for final 1. He made possibly his worst start of the year and had to battle back. He did actually get into the lead and eventually pulled away a bit to win. But statistics don't paint such a rosy picture.

On the same track 2 weeks ago Josh made 21 laps in the 5 minute race, lapping everyone in the process and finishing with a best lap of 14.28. He made very few mistakes, and 15 of those laps were in the 14s.

This time he only got into 20 laps by 4 seconds, though he was the only one in 20 laps, but he seemed to be making more mistakes. His best lap did however improve, when he finally got away from the pack and got a clean lap, to 14.11.

The second final was even more of a disaster. A cock up with the start signal meant everyone made a mess of the start. Josh got off a solid last. Again he made his way up to second, but this time there was traffic all the time so lap times were a bit academic.

He says the car felt better, and it was only the difficult conditions that produced the disappointing result. I thought it looked good too, but the result in terms of times speaks otherwise. Pity about the damp patches on the track.

Incidentally we were getting a bit blazee recently and never used our tyre warmers. Well one guy did, and you should have seen him on the first few laps - balistic. That's something to remember in the future.

Regards

Joe from sunny Malta.
johnbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2003, 03:01 PM   #148
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I'm still trying to figure out this milled chassis setup... The car got a bit more consistent, but I feel it got slower... Lap times were the same, but the car feels slow... Weird????!!!! I'm trying to get it to turn in more. But on a green tracK I don't want to worry about setup... I think the car has more potential now. Kinda like going from the MR4 worlds to the sp. Except the sp had more steering. This new Flexi TC3 pushes like a biotch...
Old 02-19-2003, 04:05 PM   #149
Tech Apprentice

I was wondering if anyone was running the GPM center one-way for the TC-3. I have it in my car and what a difference it makes. Just remember to keep the front ball diff in the car. You seem to get the best of both world with this piece. Oh another thing that helps out a lot are the GPM Alum front hubs these things have soo much steering throw that I had to turn down my steering ALT on my 3PJS.

I've been doing some testing with Yokomo based stock motors. Basically they are Reedy MVP motors. Anyway....Reedy 767 brushes with copper springs is a great starting spot for massive torque. Torque is good Just be warned when these brushes go they go. Normally you can get 4-6 runs with them. More if you have a surration cutter. Oh yea, if you have the jig to drill holes in your brushes. DO IT. Go all the way through, just becareful of the shunt. My pit partner has the one from Niftech. When you drill them, the carbon has somewhere to go other them your comm, in theory. It works for me so I'm not complaining.

Also anyone know Warp Speed Racing's Web Address. I wanted to check out their chassis and upper deck for the TC-3.

Just my 3 cents

Steve
Tweeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2003, 09:40 PM   #150
Tech Regular

Well i went back to work on the gears armed with all of your advice. I finally figured out what is causing the noise, but am not 100% on what will fix it.

I removed the shaft, with the rear shaft assembly and diff in place and diff cover on, i slowly rotated the gears. Sometimes the gears would move freely, but at odd intervals (not a regular pattern ) it would feel absolutely horrible (you could feel the gears interfering with eachother).

So now that i know what it is. How to fix it.... My first guess was that the diff case deformed a little, so it was no longer perpendicular to the pinion. But the irregularity is baffling. Sometimes I can spin the diff 1.25 times around until it hits the bad spot, other times it is more like .75 times. Also the "length" of the bad spot is irregular; sometimes about .25 spins other times .5-.75 spins. The "total" of a rough spot and a free spot are never one full rotation.

I messed with the shims (moved for and aft of the rear bearing) with no noticible change. All the gears involved are brand new, and the old set of gears experienced the same problem.

Thanks in advance.