Tamiya BT-01 Chassis (RWD/FWD) >

Tamiya BT-01 Chassis (RWD/FWD)

Like Tree46Likes

Tamiya BT-01 Chassis (RWD/FWD)

Old 11-21-2023, 11:36 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Revolter22
I think it's way too soon to call an unknown persons build "incorrect", when we don't even have a manual for reference.

if the BT is anything like the MB, it'll use the TT-02s giant goofy dogbones and plastic ball suspension arms. So expect plenty of built-in limiters just to keep it from falling apart.
I think you missed the main point. The limiter was only installed on the rear on that sample. It's not limiting anything if it's not on the end of the car that actually steers.
Old 11-21-2023, 12:50 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by gigaplex
I think you missed the main point. The limiter was only installed on the rear on that sample. It's not limiting anything if it's not on the end of the car that actually steers.
That end of the car steers when it's build as FWD. Why not just leave them there? This platform is meant to be quickly converted between different modes, leaving the limiters in their place saves a step. For the same reason the steering is built with a redundant pivot ball. (Interestingly, this is not the case on the hopped up model)
angrymelon likes this.
Old 11-22-2023, 08:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Well, you're all wrong. That little piece on the arm isn't a steering limiter. It's obviously used to split airflow around the shocks for a lower drag coefficient. Man... Some people's children.
Old 11-22-2023, 09:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

https://youtu.be/80yJhy6UL8c?si=5s9_cguxf0WppFQc

Last edited by rccartips; 11-22-2023 at 06:26 PM.
Old 02-08-2024, 01:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

RCDriver review:

https://youtu.be/jSyj0tUxsuM
Revolter22 likes this.
Old 02-09-2024, 05:26 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by angrymelon
Looks good in action, I get the feeling that some builders won't like the slop. He makes an interesting point about how the lower suspension arm mounts could be a weak point.
angrymelon likes this.
Old 02-29-2024, 08:08 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Picked up my kit yesterday and only have about an hour, but Ill give a few first impressions and update this as I finish the car.

-First off, its a typical Tamiya non race chassis, there are so many goofy molded complicated parts, but they all fit together well and the design is super interesting.
-The main manual instructs you on how to build the car as a MR only. If you want to build it as FR or FF you need to use a supplementary book it comes with. This is fine, but for a first build it only shows the MR. I will be building it this way then taking it back apart to switch to FR. Im sure as I go I'll understand the layout much better and changing it will be a breeze later.
-The included motor is a standard silver can, not torque tuned
-Gearing, they list 3 pinion choices in the manual as your choices to run with the stock spur gear 20,22,24, however the motor mount has physical numbers on it for 27-29. It does not indicate which spur gear you could use with these though. Im sure its something from a TT chassis. I'll dig through my parts box later and find out (I'd guess 55t spur is what is needed)
-The wheels and tires are standard 26mm treaded with no inserts. Ill be adding the basic open cell foams to mine as the compound of the rubber feels very soft.
Revolter22 likes this.
Old 02-29-2024, 02:13 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by MrLesac
-Gearing, they list 3 pinion choices in the manual as your choices to run with the stock spur gear 20,22,24, however the motor mount has physical numbers on it for 27-29. It does not indicate which spur gear you could use with these though. Im sure its something from a TT chassis. I'll dig through my parts box later and find out (I'd guess 55t spur is what is needed)
The motor mount is identical to MB-01. The other positions are for 65T spur that comes with MB-01.
​​​​​
MrLesac and Revolter22 like this.
Old 03-03-2024, 06:36 PM
Tech Initiate

It does not indicate which spur gear you could use with these though. Im sure its something from a TT chassis. I'll dig through my parts box later and find out (I'd guess 55t spur is what is needed)
I've seen someone run a TT01 spur gear in an MB01 and a no-name, coated aluminum pinion, since no one else makes a 31t 0.6mod pinion gear.

Even if you stick with the stock spur gear, it's worth buying a bundle of the no-name pinions. Stock Tamiya pinion gears wear out fast (even on NiMH power). Also, metal or even just nylon hexes are good for the long run, I've had a handful of Tamiyas ABS hexes crack on me.
gigaplex likes this.
Old 03-04-2024, 05:44 AM
Tech Master

Finished the build over the weekend. Slop city but exactly to be expected from a kit like this. The goofy design seems to make much more sense when actually putting it together. The steering limiters on the "rear" are installed correctly in the pictures that were posted before, This is because that is the front of the car when its in FWD configuration. I assembled the car in MR then swapped it to FR to see how long it would take and how difficult it was. 20-30 min tops to swap everything, and I was halfway distracted at the time too. I bought the car as a test for a potentially cheap spec race series locally. Ive not had it on the track yet but I can say the battery is WAY up in the air as expected since it goes over the driveshaft. I have a feeling its going to drive like a dumptruck in FR setup as I have it but time will tell. So far the only thing I've changed is full bearings, 24t pinion (I expect it to be slow) and foam inserts in the tires.

Revolter22 likes this.
Old 03-04-2024, 05:55 AM
Tech Champion

The steering limiters on the "rear" are installed correctly in the pictures that were posted before, This is because that is the front of the car when its in FWD configuration.
That's a silly design, no point installing them on the rear when you're not building it in a configuration that uses them. They really should only be installed on the end that actually steers in that configuration.
Old 03-04-2024, 06:31 AM
Tech Master

They are only to limit angle so the dogbones don't pop out, if there aren't driveshafts in the front in a RWD application there is no need for the limiters at all. I didn't install them at all in my build.
Old 03-12-2024, 07:57 AM
Tech Rookie

An LCG shorty should do wonders... Then again, REX RC (youtube channel) tested the FR layout on a carpet track and seemed to be quite impressed compared to MR and FF (actually, MF) setups.
angrymelon likes this.