Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Tamiya BT-01 Chassis (RWD/FWD) >

Tamiya BT-01 Chassis (RWD/FWD)

Like Tree36Likes

Tamiya BT-01 Chassis (RWD/FWD)

Old 11-19-2023, 11:13 AM
  #31  
Tech Master
iTrader: (1)
 
angrymelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 1,093
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Do we already know what these little pieces are meant to do? They almost look like they're meant to limit steering throw, but ironically mounted only on the rear of the car in the picture.



It looks like a little face


angrymelon is offline  
Old 11-19-2023, 02:24 PM
  #32  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (94)
 
Raman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 5,336
Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by angrymelon
Do we already know what these little pieces are meant to do? They almost look like they're meant to limit steering throw, but ironically mounted only on the rear of the car in the picture.



It looks like a little face

the face is saying.. gotta limit that rear toe !!
angrymelon likes this.
Raman is offline  
Old 11-19-2023, 02:41 PM
  #33  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (2)
 
gigaplex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Melbourne, VIC
Posts: 6,012
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by angrymelon
Do we already know what these little pieces are meant to do? They almost look like they're meant to limit steering throw, but ironically mounted only on the rear of the car in the picture.



It looks like a little face

I'd say steering throw limiter, and whoever built the car in that configuration didn't pay attention to it and put it on the wrong end.
gigaplex is online now  
Old 11-20-2023, 02:28 AM
  #34  
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Czech republic
Posts: 460
Default

Originally Posted by angrymelon
Do we already know what these little pieces are meant to do? They almost look like they're meant to limit steering throw, but ironically mounted only on the rear of the car in the picture.
The rear becomes the front in the FWD config. I think it's there to protect the driveshafts, which not necessary in the RWD configuration.
Papi is offline  
Old 11-20-2023, 04:34 AM
  #35  
Tech Master
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
kentech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 1,022
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Video presentation of the BT-01 chassis together with the designer.

https://youtu.be/hkXZiTxMuFo?si=MzJiaj4Hpymp_TSI
angrymelon likes this.
kentech is offline  
Old 11-20-2023, 09:37 AM
  #36  
Tech Master
iTrader: (1)
 
angrymelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 1,093
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Yup, even the wonky Youtube auto translation refers to them as stoppers, so mystery solved
angrymelon is offline  
Old 11-20-2023, 10:01 AM
  #37  
Tech Master
iTrader: (1)
 
angrymelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 1,093
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

So what is also interesting is the new motor mount assembly. It would appear that this chassis can be made to be 4wd. I think they also mentioned that the transmission fits the MB01, so does that mean we could make a 4wd mini as well in the future? Cool stuff!
angrymelon is offline  
Old 11-20-2023, 11:24 AM
  #38  
Tech Master
iTrader: (1)
 
angrymelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 1,093
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Papi - "The rear becomes the front in the FWD config. I think it's there to protect the driveshafts, which not necessary in the RWD configuration."
---
Now that I think about what you said, it makes the most sense. You're right, you would only need the limiters on the end of the car when it had the drive axles (Fwd). When built with RWD, it wouldn't have axles up front to worry about limiting the throw.

Last edited by angrymelon; 11-20-2023 at 12:29 PM. Reason: Forgot quote.
angrymelon is offline  
Old 11-20-2023, 12:10 PM
  #39  
Tech Elite
 
sosidge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Bristol, UK
Posts: 4,426
Default

Originally Posted by angrymelon
Papi
The rear becomes the front in the FWD config. I think it's there to protect the driveshafts, which not necessary in the RWD configuration.
---
Now that I think about what you said, it makes the most sense. You're right, you would only need the limiters on the end of the car when it had the drive axles (Fwd). When built with RWD, it wouldn't have axles up front to worry about limiting the throw.
It's 100% a steering limiter and the full-option car has been assembled incorrectly.
gigaplex likes this.
sosidge is offline  
Old 11-20-2023, 12:35 PM
  #40  
Tech Master
iTrader: (1)
 
angrymelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 1,093
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by sosidge
It's 100% a steering limiter and the full-option car has been assembled incorrectly.
I'm not 100% sure it's actually been assembled incorrectly. As Papi mentioned, depending on what drive and motor orientation is chosen, the direction of the chassis is flipped 180 degrees. The limiters would ever only be installed on the a-arms on the side the motor is mounted at. In the pictured full-option car, its build for MR (RWD), so the limiters aren't needed for steering (no shafts), and are still on the correct side of the car if it were to be built in the other two configurations.
angrymelon is offline  
Old 11-20-2023, 12:49 PM
  #41  
Tech Initiate
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Apr 2022
Posts: 44
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by angrymelon
I think they also mentioned that the transmission fits the MB01, so does that mean we could make a 4wd mini as well in the future? Cool stuff!
There is always the MF-01X, but someone has converted an MB-01 to 4wd, so it's possible but you may need to run a smaller battery.

https://youtu.be/GL1Di5tqbBA?feature=shared
angrymelon likes this.
Revolter22 is offline  
Old 11-20-2023, 02:32 PM
  #42  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (2)
 
gigaplex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Melbourne, VIC
Posts: 6,012
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by angrymelon
I'm not 100% sure it's actually been assembled incorrectly. As Papi mentioned, depending on what drive and motor orientation is chosen, the direction of the chassis is flipped 180 degrees. The limiters would ever only be installed on the a-arms on the side the motor is mounted at. In the pictured full-option car, its build for MR (RWD), so the limiters aren't needed for steering (no shafts), and are still on the correct side of the car if it were to be built in the other two configurations.
Why? They're steering limiters, there's no point having them at the end that doesn't steer. They're there to prevent the steering locking up because it went too far, not to protect the driveshaft.
gigaplex is online now  
Old 11-20-2023, 02:42 PM
  #43  
Tech Master
iTrader: (1)
 
angrymelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 1,093
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by gigaplex
Why? They're steering limiters, there's no point having them at the end that doesn't steer. They're there to prevent the steering locking up because it went too far, not to protect the driveshaft.
It sounds like I'm wrong here, but I guess I thought that the limiters also could help to prevent dog bones from too severe of an angle, where in this case, it's not needed when there is no drive at that end of the car. For example, on the TT02, the steering throw limiter that sits inside the chassis can be removed when using CVDs instead of the plastic stock dog bones. I may have incorrectly assumed that it's because the CVDs can allow for a more angle.

You're both right though, there is no requirement for having them on the end of the car that doesn't steer.
angrymelon is offline  
Old 11-20-2023, 11:51 PM
  #44  
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Czech republic
Posts: 460
Default

Originally Posted by gigaplex
Why? They're steering limiters, there's no point having them at the end that doesn't steer. They're there to prevent the steering locking up because it went too far, not to protect the driveshaft.
Why it wouldn't be for driveshaft protection? ​​​​​​They did a similar thing with XV01. It has limiting screws in caster blocks that can be removed when you upgrade to CVDs.
The main selling point of MB01/BT-01 is that it can be quickly swapped between RWD and FWD modes (atleast that's what Tamiya tries to sell), so the limiters are left on the rear axle "just in case" to make the FWD conversion easier.
The "preview" shown in the first post also has the limiters on the rear axle, so I doubt it's a mistake.
Revolter22 likes this.

Last edited by Papi; 11-21-2023 at 12:50 AM.
Papi is offline  
Old 11-21-2023, 06:36 AM
  #45  
Tech Initiate
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Apr 2022
Posts: 44
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

I think it's way too soon to call an unknown persons build "incorrect", when we don't even have a manual for reference.

if the BT is anything like the MB, it'll use the TT-02s giant goofy dogbones and plastic ball suspension arms. So expect plenty of built-in limiters just to keep it from falling apart.
Revolter22 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.