Tamiya BT-01 Chassis (RWD/FWD) >

Tamiya BT-01 Chassis (RWD/FWD)

Like Tree35Likes

Tamiya BT-01 Chassis (RWD/FWD)

Old 10-31-2023, 10:27 AM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Pretty tough to compare apples to oranges. Unless you're wanting something unique (nothing wrong with that), I'd rather get a TT-02 which is probably the same price point as the BT-01. I'll buy an BT-01 in the future if it comes equipped with a body that you can't buy separately.

A big reason I didn't buy the MB-01 mini since I already have the older minis and an M07/M08.
Revolter22 likes this.
Old 10-31-2023, 12:45 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gigaplex
I have an MB-01. The steering limiters on the arms severely hampers the turning radius and the car has garbage handling compared to an M03. I'm not sure how you're comparing the steering of a 2WD m-chassis to a 4WD TC.
I was rushed for time with my previous response. I've driven my MB-01 in its RWD setup with a decent metal servo horn (the kit servo saver is terrible), the steering feels better as it uses ballbearings.

It does handle worse than previous entry level M-chassis, both due to the weight/bulk of the chassis and the weight distribution.

What you and others have said about the turn radius is no joke. My MB01 just gets driven about on the street, but the limited turning combined with its weight (its only slightly lighter than a TT-02), has been an issue. I have to steer with the throttle like I'm powersliding an old buggy around!
Old 10-31-2023, 03:56 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Nerobro
It comes with droop adjustment. It's steering sits on larger pivots and isn't dependant on step screws.

We'll see. I need to pick one up and try it out.
The large pivots on the MB-01 pop off very easily. I don't consider them a win.
Old 10-31-2023, 03:58 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Revolter22
I was rushed for time with my previous response. I've driven my MB-01 in its RWD setup with a decent metal servo horn (the kit servo saver is terrible), the steering feels better as it uses ballbearings.

It does handle worse than previous entry level M-chassis, both due to the weight/bulk of the chassis and the weight distribution.

What you and others have said about the turn radius is no joke. My MB01 just gets driven about on the street, but the limited turning combined with its weight (its only slightly lighter than a TT-02), has been an issue. I have to steer with the throttle like I'm powersliding an old buggy around!
The steering only uses ball bearings if you upgrade them. The kit uses bushings.
Old 10-31-2023, 04:33 PM
Tech Initiate

The large pivots on the MB-01 pop off very easily. I don't consider them a win.
Mine popped a pivot as I was just driving on the road in front of my house, I didn't even tap anything.

I like having the option to install bearings around the steering bellcranks without a hop-up.
Old 11-01-2023, 04:44 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dan
It probably won't even be much cheaper than a 4WD TT-01 or TT-02.
I’m going fully salty on this release!

For a while now we Tamiya fans have complained about our favourite rerelease bodies coming on TT02 chassis.

Tamiya as a result has decided to punish us insolent westerners with the fabulous all new BT-01. 😂🤣😂🤣
Dan likes this.
Old 11-01-2023, 04:49 PM
Tech Champion

Mine popped a pivot as I was just driving on the road in front of my house, I didn't even tap anything.

I like having the option to install bearings around the steering bellcranks without a hop-up.
By pivots you mean the balls you press into arms? If so, they’re the same as TT02. If you push them in per manual you should be ok. If you compress too much then they will pop out. Easy fix is the low friction metal ones from TT02.
Qatmix, ruebiracer and Revolter22 like this.
Old 11-01-2023, 05:17 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Raman
By pivots you mean the balls you press into arms? If so, they’re the same as TT02. If you push them in per manual you should be ok. If you compress too much then they will pop out. Easy fix is the low friction metal ones from TT02.
That's what I meant yea, either washers or low friction balls work, I ran a set of low friction balls in it after that and I didn't have it happen again. A nice side effect of the metal TT02 balls is that they reduce slop too.
Raman and ruebiracer like this.
Old 11-10-2023, 07:40 AM
Tech Initiate

The more that I look at this chassis, the more confused that I am. The TT-02 does the whole "cheap touring car kit" thing fine enough, it has a better steering angle than my MB-01, and the TT can run with other basic touring cars on the market.

This seems more niche, I can’t see the FWD setup competing in a FWD class, and without steering angle mods it'd be a poor drifter. It'll have to be really cheap (or play up the "scale" aspect) to sell.
Old 11-10-2023, 10:06 AM
Tech Champion

The more that I look at this chassis, the more confused that I am. The TT-02 does the whole "cheap touring car kit" thing fine enough, it has a better steering angle than my MB-01, and the TT can run with other basic touring cars on the market.

This seems more niche, I can’t see the FWD setup competing in a FWD class, and without steering angle mods it'd be a poor drifter. It'll have to be really cheap (or play up the "scale" aspect) to sell.
Stop looking at it and wasting your vision. 😵‍💫 no good will come of it
Old 11-18-2023, 12:40 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

BT-01 displayed at Tamiya Fair / World Chmpionships 2023 this weekend.

More images: https://www.facebook.com/blogkentech...y692pYmZ7jTFel

angrymelon likes this.
Old 11-18-2023, 03:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

angrymelon likes this.
Old 11-19-2023, 03:08 AM
Tech Elite

Hadn't realised that this also offers a front-motor-rear-drive option. I think that's a first? Certainly adds to the "scale drivetrain" appeal of the chassis. If I was buying a Supra to drive up my street before putting on a shelf, I'd want it to be in FR configuration rather than a 4wd TT-02.
Old 11-19-2023, 04:14 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by sosidge
Hadn't realised that this also offers a front-motor-rear-drive option. I think that's a first? Certainly adds to the "scale drivetrain" appeal of the chassis. If I was buying a Supra to drive up my street before putting on a shelf, I'd want it to be in FR configuration rather than a 4wd TT-02.
I want to see how the driveshaft passes by the battery in that configuration.
Old 11-19-2023, 08:26 AM
Tech Elite

I want to see how the driveshaft passes by the battery in that configuration.
Battery over the top.

Obviously terrible for CG but this is not, and never will be, a performance chassis. It's a cheap, semi-scale-accurate body holder.
angrymelon and Revolter22 like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.