R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-26-2006, 06:17 AM   #16
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rcguy2477

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpipro321
...not the smartest thing to post...dont want 12 year old kids telling there dads that they were told its ok to rip a sub-c cell appart and end-up hospitalizing them selves because a metal shard cut their wrist...

good info though
Good point. If you want to take apart a sub-c sized cell, make sure you have adult supervision.
greddy t04b, megasquirt ecu, PlX wideband, 12x28x3 fmic, 50mm hks clone wg, ssqv bov, Safc, ss oil lines, walbro fuel pump, tubo intake manifolds, ssac exhaust manifold, 3" dp, 550cc primary/720cc secondary injectors, etc.
rcguy2477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 07:54 AM   #17
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

And the funny part is that the majority of our racing cells are hand made. I know because I visited a factory in China. Man, we must be killing heaps of Chinese workers. There is very little worker protection.
cannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 08:01 AM   #18
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Some adults I know out there may need adult supervision.

JC1000
Old 04-27-2006, 03:54 AM   #19
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandeGixxer
Some adults I know out there may need adult supervision.

JC1000
Great that mean I need my wife's supervion if I decide to opean cell.
cyrrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 06:13 AM   #20
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannon
And the funny part is that the majority of our racing cells are hand made. I know because I visited a factory in China. Man, we must be killing heaps of Chinese workers. There is very little worker protection.
Metal Hydride doesn't sound that harmful... unlike Cd...
semper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 08:55 AM   #21
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

James, your going mad

Heres another view of the inside of a cell. (2006 Australian Off Road Championships)
Attached Thumbnails
The Inside of a Battery-06auepoffroadnatf1_042.jpg  
Old 04-27-2006, 12:44 PM   #22
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rcguy2477

Quote:
The materials they are working with arn't nearly as bad as Cadmium. We are killing ourselves at a much faster rate with some of the chemicals used around the track.
greddy t04b, megasquirt ecu, PlX wideband, 12x28x3 fmic, 50mm hks clone wg, ssqv bov, Safc, ss oil lines, walbro fuel pump, tubo intake manifolds, ssac exhaust manifold, 3" dp, 550cc primary/720cc secondary injectors, etc.
rcguy2477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 01:04 PM   #23
RCTech Member #2

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to TSR6

Quote:
Which is why the cells are not made in the U.S. Add worker protection, unions, factory emissions restrictions - and the cells would cost a lot more than they do today. Ever hear the term "pollution exporting?"

--

Good point on the battery recycling. If you have dead battery packs, check out http://www.rbrc.org/ for a location near you that recycles batteries. I know of a couple hobby shops that used to have battery drop boxes - but no longer do.
RCTech Member #2

The postings and views expressed on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the positions, strategies, or opinions of any company I may be employed by.
TSR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 05:33 PM   #24
Tech Regular

Jason,
GREAT POST....

All our conversations and long talks have paid off.
It is GREAT to see you sharing this information with the RC world.

I would like to add some points about the NiMh cells... and I think I mad a long explanation on the IB3800 thread... or maybe on a discussion between NiMh and LiPo...

Well, here it goes....
WHAT Nickel/Metal Hydride (NiMH) Cells are made of.

Anode: Rare-earth or nickel alloys with many metals
Cathode: Nickel oxyhydroxide
Electrolyte: Potassium hydroxide

This sealed cell is a hybrid of the NiCd and NiH2 cells. Previously, this battery was not available for commercial use because, although hydrogen has wonderful anodic qualities, it requires cell pressurization. Fortunately, in the late 1960s scientists discovered that some metal alloys (hydrides such as LiNi5 or ZrNi2) could store hydrogen atoms, which then could participate in reversible chemical reactions.

In modern NiMH batteries, the anode consists of many metals alloys, including V, Ti, Zr, Ni, Cr, Co, and Fe.
Except for the anode, the NiMH cell very closely resembles a NiCd cell in construction. Even the voltage is virtually identical, at 1.2 volts, making the cells interchangeable in many applications. Here are the cell voltages at the anode and cathode: (Jason already wrote the equations, so just use the voltages for each one of the equations)
The Anode (2nd equation) has a voltage of 0.83 volts
The Cathode (1st equation) has a voltage of 0.52 volts
The Overall reaction (3rd equation) has a VOLTAGE of 1.35 volts

The anodes used in these cells are complex alloys containing many metals, such as alloys of V, Ti, Zr, Ni, Cr, Co, and (!) Fe. The underlying chemistry of these alloys and reasons for superior performance are not clearly understood, and the compositions are determined by empirical testing methods. We have experimented for years and time after time we find better ways to get a better discharge curve and higher efficiencies.

Intellect has done a superb job of finding the correct alloys in order to produce one of the BEST NiMH cells in the industry.

A very interesting fact about these alloys is that some metals absorb heat when absorbing hydrogen, and some give off heat when absorbing hydrogen. Both of these reactions are bad for a battery, since it s better fotthe hydrogen to move easily in and out without any energy transfer. The successful alloys are all mixtures of exothermic and endothermic metals (IB has found them!)

The memory effect, which was at one time thought to be absent from NiMH cells, is present if the cells are NOT treated right. To avoid the memory effect, we recommend to observe and follow our prescribed maintenance techniques.
At one point we found that by completely discharging the batteries every 15 cycles we got rid of the memory effect. However, due to newer manufacturing techniques and better alloys, we do not recommend this procedure anymore. There are better procedures to keep the cells operating up to 90% od their SoC for up to 40+ cycles.

I hope this will help.
BATT_MAN is offline   Reply With Quote