Wiki Posts
Search

dyno related question

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 10:12 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (96%+)
Default dyno related question

hi i just recently bought a old product of buds racing dyno.. and i was wondering for all you guys using a dyno what power supply you guys use? or you use battery.i heared that battery is not as accurate or consistent as the power supply..

and if battery is used which specific battery?
and if power supply is used where to buy,and how many volts and amps.?

any help??

thanx
Old 04-25-2006, 07:44 PM
Tech Master

any help?
Old 04-25-2006, 07:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

For any dyno testing there are many options, but the basic principle is the same... You want to recreate on the dyno the nearest possible simulation of your actual racing situation.

For example -- if you are racing in a 4-cell class, I set my Dyno to use 5v as the input voltage level. For 6-cell classes, I set my dyno to use 7v...

Since the Bud's "dyno" does not have a built in voltage regulator, etc. you must decide what/how you want to test...

The Bud's was designed to allow you to use your batteries as the voltage source, since that way it is EXACTLY how you race (with batteries). The downside is that the voltage DOES change as you test (just as the batteries fade toward the end of a run on the track)... But this variability can make results erratic.

Before I got my TD45, I built a dyno of my own design somewhat similar to the Bud's design -- to get stable power, I found an old computer power supply (from a LARGE computer) that had fully regulated 5v power and could supply up to 80 amps...

Whatever you use for a power source, you will need one that can supply at least 30 amps at the regulated voltage. DO NOT use a 12v power supply unless you have a way of regulating and reducing the voltage down to no more than 7v!

Does that help?
Old 04-25-2006, 09:38 PM
Tech Master

thanx !! so that means in order for me to get a somewhat constant result is to have a 7v with a 30amp regulated power supply( since im running 6 cell, for stock motor) .. any idea where to buy such power supply...its kinda hard.mostly is 12v.
Old 04-26-2006, 09:59 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

You are correct that 7v power supplies ARE hard to find...

What I would recommend (and it may sound contradictory to my earlier post) is that you find a good 5v power supply (you could use a 6v automotive battery, but its more of a hassle)... The power supply is always the "cleaner" method and more consistent...

The reason for this recommendation is that although the ideal is to test at or near the voltage you will actually use the motors, the most important thing is to be able to get consistent results. Given a choice between using 6-cell battery packs and making the compromise of using a 5v power source, the consistency of the power supply wins out...

As long as you are comparing your motors on your dyno with your power supply, the comparisons and analysis of good -vs- bad or what tuning helped or hurt performance will still be sound...
Old 04-26-2006, 11:25 AM
Tech Master

thanx for the help... now im on search for 5v power supply