R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-24-2006, 08:49 PM   #16
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Baker
Well now you know that this friend is not a good source to go to again!
disssssssss owned by baker 10
hpipro321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 09:01 PM   #17
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by walterhenderson
Throwing in the towel, I don't think so!!! Maybe just a few belts!
Old 04-24-2006, 10:38 PM   #18
Tech Regular

pulling out of the USA?
more like pulling out a few stops......see RROC....
Old 04-24-2006, 11:22 PM   #19
Tech Master

I highly doubt that a company as entrenched in the US R/C market would make a move that radical.
wagonman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 11:33 PM   #20
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonman72
I highly doubt that a company as entrenched in the US R/C market would make a move that radical.

RCMits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 11:52 PM   #21
Tech Master

Muah ha ha!!
wagonman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 12:12 AM   #22
Tech Addict

Send a message via MSN to dynoman007 Send a message via Skype™ to dynoman007
Talking figured it out

AE has switched out with tamiya they are gonna make the rtrs and toys cars and tamiya is gonna make the real race cars from now on ......
dynoman007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 12:31 AM   #23
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

a friend of mine also told me drugs are bad.... and after reading this I believe him...
Patriiick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 12:39 AM   #24
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Hey, seriously, I'd like to see Associated do well as much as anybody else. I still get nostalgic for my gold tub RC10, and always use Associated when I race off-road. I don't feel the same urgency to buy American as some of you guys, but I certainly won't balk at the idea if their product is competitive. The price is right, that's for sure.

But, lets be honest with ourselves. In the touring car world, Associated has allowed themselves to get behind. Maybe it's because they're a bigger company, and they can't react to market changes as quickly as their smaller overseas competitors? Maybe they're trying to prove a point? Maybe their engineers are not capable of making a competitive touring car again?

I'm guessing it has to do with their place in the market, and the size of the company, but who really knows. Either way, I fully expect them to at least announce a radical new design this year, probably with belts, and probably more along the lines of what you can get from other manufacturers. I imagine they'll offer that car in different tiers, sort of like how Tamiya has a TA05 and then a big brother version in the 415. The cheaper version will probably have a tub, and the more expensive one will be all carbon fiber. They will create a huge market for hopups and blue screws, and return to most of their former glory. Barry Baker will bitchslap all the underlings that have been beating him the last few years from one end of the planet to the other with the new car for another 5-6 years before announcing his retirement from competitive racing, most likely while reigning world champion.

Or maybe they'll come out with another shaft car that underwhelms nearly every competitive racer that uses it. I hope not. :-(
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 05:07 AM   #25
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Associated 1/12 scales are the best in the world IMO.
JoeyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 05:50 AM   #26
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Associated 12th scale cars ARE the best in the world!!! Just about every 12th scale car in the world has an Associated part or two on it!!
bshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 06:18 AM   #27
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I thought I said that already. Must be an echo in this thread.
JoeyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 11:10 AM   #28
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Jam-ehz

I think it's just the market differences between North America and Asia..

Just look at the technological changes (non-RC) in Japan, and its demand for it.. 5MP camera phones, insane robotics, they just eat that stuff up, and will pay to get it. Anything they have is ahead of us by years.. so, when a new part/chassis/thingamajig comes out, even the stick-pack 415 chassis, they know the demand is there, leading to even crazier innovation 6 months down the road..

On the other hand, here, there's always griping about the new part/chassis/battery/thingamajig of the month we're having to open our wallets for..

Meanwhile, how old were the TC3, T3, B3, and even L3 before their successors, and how long before a RC10GT2 or NTC4? Tons of people still race the L3 and NTC3, and are competitive with the T4 and B4.

Sure, the touring car category they're falling behind in the rankings, but how many people who own a RC car actually competitively race, thus NEED a loaded machine used by Marc Reinhard or Paul Lemieux? Who would want to run their T2 or Cyclone down their local rock-filled parking lot in the hands of a 14-year old? Few regular people would know the difference between the performance of a TC3 and TC4, or a MSX and T2.. it's all down to money and enjoyment of the product, and if a RTR kit makes it all the easier to get into the hobby and have fun, then it's worth the sale. In the end, who pays its bills? 1,000 units of $500 kits, or 10,000 units of $250 kits? If that extra volume of kits means that many more people are getting into the hobby, competitively or not, then it's all the better for us as an industry. Heck, I'm proof.. I started off with a basic T3 back in my first year of University just for the fun of it, and it's since led me down the road to actual RC racing and a rather eclectic car collection!

Not to say, in the end, that Associated is selling out or doesn't want to be competitive, I'm very sure it does, and keeps a very talented factory race team for the purpose of knowledge, testing and competition, leading to a better machine. It's just a matter of time before they're back on top, and I'm sure they'll still be in the US, with Mr. Baker at the wheel when it happens.

However, it's also a matter of where we all started in this addiction, and many of us can say it was with an Associated RC
Jam-ehz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 11:43 AM   #29
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

There's no reason their RTR kits can't be on a tiered system, where it's just a plastic version of their more competitive car. That gives the kids who start with the RTR a nice upgrade path (with hopups) all the way up to a pimped out carbon version of the car. It's kind of like what they do now, although it doesn't seem to be marketed quite like that.

But, they need to do that in a situation where their top car is on par with other company's top cars. The RTR thing and all that is great, it's just the overall performance of the car that seems to be an issue. Even beginners would benefit from a better design in the RTR kits, and especially more durability.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 02:59 PM   #30
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

The resaon why I started this was my friend who works a t a hobby shop was trying to order Associated parts for the store. Most of the sutff is on back order. They were going to order direct from Associated and the guy at Associated told him that they were moving out of the USA. Who knows??? Might just be bull.
tunnelhead is offline   Reply With Quote