Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Rayspeed Vs Protoform >

Rayspeed Vs Protoform

Rayspeed Vs Protoform

Old 04-20-2006, 02:25 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Rayspeed Vs Protoform

I am really liking the look of the Rayspeed Accord body and am thinking of buying one, but first I would like to know how it compares to the likes of the Protoform shells with regards to handling etc.

Can anyone give advice on this?

Thanks

Darren
Old 04-20-2006, 02:32 PM
Tech Regular

The rayspeed accord tends to push on corner entry, but then mid-corner and on exit it starts to rotate. It doesn't always feel "balanced" throughout a corner due to this, but it stays very flat and is easy to drive. However compared to Protoform bodies, it is a lot thinner, and therefore weaker in impacts. It is very popular though and you'd be lucky to find somewhere that has one in stock, as last time I heard CML were out of stock...
HTH
Old 04-20-2006, 02:39 PM
Tech Apprentice

Cheers Ali,

Apart from the strength issue does it hold its own against the protoforms?

Darren
Old 04-20-2006, 02:51 PM
Tech Adept

well your running an Mi2 Ec rite i found the the protoform nemisis body handeled quiet well it was ver well balanced and held the corders very well it gave the read end of the car quitea lot of grip maybe due to the rear spoiler being so big and the roofline of the shell being so low but i woyuld def recomend it very nice shell
Old 04-20-2006, 02:55 PM
Tech Regular

it's pretty similar to the Ride TSX & you can read about it here:

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...ht=ride+accord
Old 04-20-2006, 03:22 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by dstyles
Cheers that Ride shell looks very nice. Only trouble is its not legal here in the Uk, whereas the Rayspeed one is.

Thanks again

Darren
Old 04-20-2006, 03:26 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by nemisis
well your running an Mi2 Ec rite i found the the protoform nemisis body handeled quiet well it was ver well balanced and held the corders very well it gave the read end of the car quitea lot of grip maybe due to the rear spoiler being so big and the roofline of the shell being so low but i woyuld def recomend it very nice shell
No I've got the Mi2 not the EC.
The only reason I want to know if it handles the same as the Protoform shells is because I would like to have a shell that is'nt the same as everyone else, but if it is doe'nt handle as well as the others then I will stick with the Protoform.

Darren
Old 04-20-2006, 03:34 PM
Tech Adept

thats even better then i used to run an mi2 before i went to the ec and i can safley say that i wouldnt try anyother shell on it two or three others members have got the an mi2 and they are all using the nemisis shell i did change once on it tried a strtus but soon switched bck to the nemisis give a go
Old 04-20-2006, 08:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dstyles

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...ht=ride+accord
dstyles...nice avatar! It's almost as good as another bootleg Andre sticker I have seen that features Flav and the fact he has '...too, too, too much POSSE.'
Old 04-23-2006, 10:37 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by brownpants
Cheers Ali,

Apart from the strength issue does it hold its own against the protoforms?

Darren
The other thing with the Rayspeeds is the fact that the paint doesn't seem to stick to them very well.
Make sure you sand the inside with 2000 grit paper before washing and painting.

Skiddins
Old 04-25-2006, 10:03 AM
Tech Initiate

I also like the Rayspeed Accord as I also own one. Here in the States it's called an Acura TSX and this is my first paint job based on the http://www.realtimerl.com SCCA car. I even made a TSX badge on the trunk from the decals from an HPI RSX and S2000 and it has Tamiya 24mm grey porsche carrera wheels. I'm going to race it this weekend for the first time. I just like to be different and more realistic than all the Mazda 6s with white dish rims.

Old 04-25-2006, 11:53 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

brownpants. just a quick question, are you runnning on asphalt(Tarmac), or carpet. If your running outdoors. Try the Mazda 6. work's great. the G6 which is a capet spec body, I tried it last time out. great handle. almost to much front grip.

anycase let us know what you got and show us a shot after you paint your new body.
Old 04-25-2006, 12:28 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i've given up with the rayspeed body it works really well but they don't last very long costing a fortune going to stick to the mazda 6 and stratus 2.0
Old 04-25-2006, 12:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

i see the HPI wing on dtams car...

my accessment after running mazda6 vs rayspeed accord back to back for 3-4 days...

the rayspeed steers into corners more aggressively than the mazda... its also a little less stable than a mazda6... however, if you put a larger wing on the rayspeed i.e. mazda6 wing, jconcepts touring wing, protoform molded wing... the car gets more stable and drives closer to a mazda6 while keeping its turn-in characteristics...

my overall conclusion was that with the stock wing cut to roar/ifmar spec the rear had less downforce than the mazda, putting more balance on the front end... with a larger wing it was better, but i still think the mazda6 is an overall better balanced body... wouldnt be against running a rayspeed again though on medium low grip asphalt, it does look better
Old 04-25-2006, 03:15 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dtam
I also like the Rayspeed Accord as I also own one. Here in the States it's called an Acura TSX and this is my first paint job based on the http://www.realtimerl.com SCCA car. I even made a TSX badge on the trunk from the decals from an HPI RSX and S2000 and it has Tamiya 24mm grey porsche carrera wheels. I'm going to race it this weekend for the first time. I just like to be different and more realistic than all the Mazda 6s with white dish rims.

Nice paint job dtam, are you really going to race it?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.