R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-22-2006, 07:08 PM   #1
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default TC3 drawbacks?

I'm a dirt guy, but I want to try a little Touring Car. I'll probably be running carpet oval and road, maybe a little asphalt.

I can pick up a TC3 from a buddy cheap, but what am I going to be missing that the TC4 has? At the club level will it really matter?

Thanks,
JC
Bike racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 08:36 PM   #2
Tech Adept

With to right setup it will be fast. Free up the drivetrain and clean all the bearings. It is a good car to start with.
rockdog200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 08:39 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to R/C Anonymous

You wont be missing a whole lot from the TC4. Maybe the batteries slid closer towards the middle. My TC3 is as fast as any other car I have owned(it'll be my backup for awhile yet).
Old 04-22-2006, 08:41 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

I liked my TC3's a whole lot more than my TC4.
Old 04-24-2006, 02:09 AM   #5
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Smash
I liked my TC3's a whole lot more than my TC4.
I still do.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 07:00 AM   #6
Tech Regular

tc3 drawbacks its old hat
stuey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 12:19 PM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

skip them both and buy a used 05 Xray. Raced a TC3 for awhile never liked it.
tunnelhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 12:42 PM   #8
Tech Regular

TC4 is just a little different than a 3. They moved the battery and electronics a bit closer into the center, a little different motor mount, dual bellcrank steering which is better, and a better bumper system. A few other little things too.

TC3 is fast, just is a bit harder to drive than say an XRay 05. For Oval and ashpalt, a TC3 should be fine. In fact i plan on running my old TC3 in oval soon. Carpet i might recommend something else. I drove mine on carpet and it broke a lot. Not so much on asphalt. What breaks are the arms, steering arms and cblocks. This is why i went to an XRay 05. I got mine for $160 and it doesnt break as easy. Way tougher, a lot easier to drive fast.
wcalaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 05:39 PM   #9
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcalaker
TC4 is just a little different than a 3. They moved the battery and electronics a bit closer into the center, a little different motor mount, dual bellcrank steering which is better, and a better bumper system. A few other little things too.

TC3 is fast, just is a bit harder to drive than say an XRay 05. For Oval and ashpalt, a TC3 should be fine. In fact i plan on running my old TC3 in oval soon. Carpet i might recommend something else. I drove mine on carpet and it broke a lot. Not so much on asphalt. What breaks are the arms, steering arms and cblocks. This is why i went to an XRay 05. I got mine for $160 and it doesnt break as easy. Way tougher, a lot easier to drive fast.

Thanks for all the input.

cwalker,

This is the info I was looking for. Sounds like the TC3 will be ok to play with, but for more serious racing, no. FK05 X-ray, right?

We'll have to see how things go.
Bike racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 06:32 PM   #10
Tech Addict

The TC3 still has the ability to win at any level. Its just that the Associated team drivers now race the TC4 which has slight improvements thats all. And its easy to do some of the mods to the TC3 like the battery mod and the nitro steering mod.

Mike
ixlr8nz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 06:27 AM   #11
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to A. Rhodes

The TC3 is / was a awesome car in it's day, and most of the people running TC started with a TC3.

The main downside to the TC3 is it's very fragile. Just tapping the boards, especially with the FT graphite parts, will cause the parts to just explode. Harder hits will cause even more damge. The RPM bumper and a aftermarket foam bumper will help, but the car is still not going to be bullet proof.

If you are going to race mostly on carpet, I would recommend getting a belt drive car. Xray, Corally, Losi, etc., all make excellent cars. The hot ticket for carpet right now is the RDX, followed closely by the T2. If you can pick up a used FK05, that would be your best bet, IMO. The FK05 is a awesome car, and very durable.
Old 04-25-2006, 02:40 PM   #12
Tech Regular

TC3 is still a capable car in the right hands. My TC3 wasnt any slower than any of the others. It was however, a car that couldnt take a hit or withstand a mistake i made. In that regard, it was frustrating seeing other cars come out of way worse hits than mine and able to finish a race. Where i would be replacign something every heat it seemed.

FTNTC3 said it perfectly. Every word in his last post i agree with 100%.

If you get a kickass deal on the car, dont hesitate to get it. It is a fast car. Just remind yourself that is the car that is older and newer cars have addressed some of the problems that one had.

Good luck.
wcalaker is offline   Reply With Quote