XRay diff squeaking, other problems to >

XRay diff squeaking, other problems to

XRay diff squeaking, other problems to

Old 04-22-2006, 10:04 AM
Tech Adept

Default XRay diff squeaking, other problems to

Hi,

car = T1FK05

well, today I decided to take my car out and drive it in a parking lot. The surface I was running on was marble. So I get there, put down my car, and start to drive... only to notice that the car is "stuttering". Now, I had the multi diff to solid one way - after i removed this "gimmick", the car ran fine for a while. But not for long. Not even half way through my 1900mAh batery pack, the I noticed that the car was choppy all again, and loud clicking seemed to be coming from the diff. I got home, and as I was dissasembling the rear of the car, I noticed that the screws were loose. So first culprit was in the layshaft onto which the spur gear attaches - the screws were so loose that I could bet that they would come off any second. I tightened up the screws and thought that everything was OK - WRONG! I only noticed this about 5 minutes ago, but when I turn the rear wheels, the diff squeaks. First, I thought, lets relube the balls. I did that. It still squeaks. I don't know if this is normal or not. I'm guessing its the diff, but it only squeaks with the wheels attached, not without (it runs smoothly without the wheels). The squeaking is very silent, but noticeable.

So:

1) Is there any way that I can run a solid front axle without the car stuttering?
2) What should I do about the diff issue? I'm not sure its the diff, because it behaves normally when out of the car, but the wheel axles don't squeak either. I was also thinking that it could be a bearing issue.

Any help greatly appreciated

TIA
Old 04-22-2006, 12:43 PM
Tech Adept

ignore post I did not see the Fk05 untill after posting and tried to delete

Last edited by Din Viesel; 04-22-2006 at 12:49 PM. Reason: delete post
Old 04-22-2006, 12:54 PM
Tech Adept

Looks like it wasn't the diff squeaking after all, it was the bearing that holds the diff... it got a lot of dust in it, cleaning with WD40 now.

The question about the solid axle remains...
Old 04-22-2006, 12:58 PM
Tech Adept

I run a T2 and posted on how to help then realized you said 05 and could not figure out how to delete the post. One of my suggestions was cleaning your bearings maybe one was seized up.

Could the stuttering be electrical? or the belt?
Old 04-22-2006, 01:05 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

yeh, i would have thought that the stuttering would be electrical. is this when you turn, accelerate, or just all the time??
Old 04-22-2006, 01:47 PM
Tech Adept

It occurs when I turn the wheels (I can hold the car in my hand or have it on the ground, makes no difference).

What I do is:
Full throttle, release, turn wheels, as they're slowing down, they start to shake/stutter until they stop. The same thing happens when I hold the throttle and turn the wheels, it is as if they were hitting something, but they're not.
Old 04-22-2006, 01:57 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by D_o_S
It occurs when I turn the wheels (I can hold the car in my hand or have it on the ground, makes no difference).

What I do is:
Full throttle, release, turn wheels, as they're slowing down, they start to shake/stutter until they stop. The same thing happens when I hold the throttle and turn the wheels, it is as if they were hitting something, but they're not.
This is a known issue, but not a problem. If you have your EPA to the full maximum this is what happens with a '05 and also all the other T1's and also the T2. Just bring your EPA down and problem is solved.
Old 04-22-2006, 03:03 PM
Tech Adept

I should have asked more questions I guess, I didn't realize that this was going on while the wheels were turned.

Follow JOEP's advice and the chattering will be solved.
Old 04-22-2006, 03:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

check the front cvd pins, if you didnt use loctite on the set screw they can move abit and rub on the steering block only when turning a certain direction. that is if you have not found the solution yet.
Old 04-22-2006, 10:06 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by kerry
check the front cvd pins, if you didnt use loctite on the set screw they can move abit and rub on the steering block only when turning a certain direction. that is if you have not found the solution yet.
D_o_S is a proud owner of a T1FK'05 and as far as I know the a FK'05 has no CDV pins with set screw. THe pin is hold steady by the wheel axle.