Wiki Posts
Search

Fastest stock motor

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 08:43 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Exclamation Fastest stock motor

By now, all of you should know that the CO27 is now ROAR legal. But, is this the fastest stock motor? I'v seen a CO27 on a motor dyno compared to a Fantom stock motor, and the CO27 has a little more power. Although, working on both the Fantom and CO27, we were able to make the Fantom go faster.

What is your opinion on the CO27?
Old 04-19-2006, 09:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 161 (100%+)

A dyno is a handy tool, but isn't the final word on how a motor will perform in your car. Also please remember that if you're comparing just ONE single motor against another, that's a very limited sample size which makes the results a bit sketchy.

For my own .02, a properly tuned C027 is the fastest in most applications.
Old 04-19-2006, 10:32 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by mcrcracer
By now, all of you should know that the CO27 is now ROAR legal. But, is this the fastest stock motor? I'v seen a CO27 on a motor dyno compared to a Fantom stock motor, and the CO27 has a little more power. Although, working on both the Fantom and CO27, we were able to make the Fantom go faster.

Yeah, I am sure a "Fantom" motor is faster, like a 19t Fantom...
What fantom motor? They just "tune" motors.

A good monster probably is faster than a crappy CO27. I still think the (not leagal) Binary Stock is probably faster. But what do you mean by faster?

Different applications need a different motor. P2K's are still the hot ticket in alot of cases for offroad truck on small tracks. They may go faster on the straight with a CO27, but offroad isn't necessarily all about speed. So the track is the best indicator. Which it sounds like you got a different motor to go faster on a particular track which is exactly my point.... But for the majority of applications, the CO27 is probably going to be the hot ticket, as long as it is geared correctly.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

You go ahead and bench race with the dyno. The track is the only dyno that matters.
Old 04-20-2006, 05:44 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 108 (100%+)

co27 hands down.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:10 PM
Tech Adept

Can not disagree with whats been said so far, Dyno shows numbers that might look great, but could suck on your track! Co 27's right now are fast but again as mentioned above it all depends on track size and wether or not you run on/offroad
Old 04-20-2006, 06:24 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

CO27 is, without a doubt, the real deal. Runtime is in the gutter, but for a 5 or 6 minute race, this motor is tits. You do need decent batteries if you don't want to seriously fall off at the end, but I have a very hard time believing that, all other things equal, this motor was beat by another (legal) stocker. Let Phantom tune a CO27 and then tune whatever it was that screamed in the original post, and you'll see what I mean. People have even run the CO27 in 19T Spec classes...

The CO27 does seem to be very sensitive to springs; moreso than the Monster Stock.
Old 04-20-2006, 06:41 PM
Tech Champion

Yep, I ran my CO27 in the first heat of a 19t class race and my laps were only .2-.3 seconds off my best 19t times!
Originally Posted by Jason B
CO27 is, without a doubt, the real deal. Runtime is in the gutter, but for a 5 or 6 minute race, this motor is tits. You do need decent batteries if you don't want to seriously fall off at the end, but I have a very hard time believing that, all other things equal, this motor was beat by another (legal) stocker. Let Phantom tune a CO27 and then tune whatever it was that screamed in the original post, and you'll see what I mean. People have even run the CO27 in 19T Spec classes...

The CO27 does seem to be very sensitive to springs; moreso than the Monster Stock.
Old 04-21-2006, 12:52 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Motor plays less part then people think. Itsthe driver and the tuner that make motors look good.. Some people could win with a gm3 still..
Old 04-21-2006, 08:48 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mcrcracer

Nice motor, have not spent enough time with it though - hoping in the next few weeks to get more comfortable with it. My initial observation, it really is between a Monster and P2K2 as far as torque and RPM, it does seem faster, but not much. Certainly looks to have the potental to be the main motor in the stocker class.
Old 04-21-2006, 09:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

http://rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=110644

After reading this post, it's tough placing any weight on mcrcracer's observations
Old 04-21-2006, 10:07 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

A guy at my track spanked us all with a p2k a few weeks ago. It was because he is a good driver and motor doesn't make that much of a difference.
Old 04-21-2006, 10:34 AM
Tech Regular

I agree, a fast motor will get yu to ther first turn first or faster, but then you crash and take out the field. a good driver with a good set up. will avoid the crash and pass yu in the infield. This has happened to me. many times. being passed on the infield, that is. LOL. a coulple of my friends usually are slower at the start then start piking off guys in the infield and finishing in the top 3 or 4. I've seen this in nascar. remember Dale Sr.? I remember him winning with a slower car more than once.

But having a fast motor is still more fun than a slow motor.
wn
Old 04-21-2006, 05:03 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

i do that all the time, hwen i start at the back i wat about half a second then by the timei get back to the stripe i would usially be 1st or second. but ive only really had that work in 12 sclale.
Old 04-21-2006, 05:55 PM
Tech Champion

But also take into consideration that there are many good drivers, all with good setups. A motor that has slightly more power, and doesn't fade can be the difference between 1st and 4th!

My guess is that guy with the P2K would be even faster with a CO27.

I think the suggestion is to start with a motor you know should be good, and that's one less thing to worry about. Then you can concentrate on getting the car perfect. I'd rather have a decent car with a good motor, then spending a good 6 months getting the car setup with a motor thats subpar and being discouraged that your getting spanked everywhere. If you don't have a decent motor, pickup a CO27. If you have a good Monster already, then wait and work on setup and driving skills. If your getting beat now with a monster, a CO27 isn't gonna instantly make you win