Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
recommend a steering servo for 1/10 touring? >

recommend a steering servo for 1/10 touring?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 08:18 AM
Tech Apprentice

Hey folks, old time R/C enthusiast getting back into the game and need some advice on a steering servo for a 1/10 scale electric touring car (specifically, a T2 if that matters). I have an Airtronics M8 with a Spektrum module and receiver if that’s relevant, but I’m not afraid to change connectors if need be.

I always used to bash around and play with off road stuff, so I never bothered to get anything other than your average, slow, weak, plastic-geared “$15 special” from the LHS or Tower. Now I want something worth keeping around for a while that will be competitive on a fast road course.

Any general advice or specific product recommendations appreciated!
Old 04-20-2006, 08:27 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Airtronics 94357Z $99 at tower

fast response time with decent torque.
Old 04-20-2006, 08:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

advice = read various other threads on this subject.
help = http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=110588
recommendation = use the search function. this topic comes up monthly and it's the same read every time.
summary = pick a servo with a transit time of .10sec or lower and you're good. digital servos are nice, but not necessary (unless used with the futaba hrs system).
other than that it becomes brand loyalty which ends up causing the threads to be way longer than necessary.
footnote = futaba 9550 is one of few that have the necessary specs for 1/10 onroad use and is low profile. not really an issue in cars where the servo is transversely mounted.

regards,

- victor stanovich -
Old 04-20-2006, 08:38 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by seaball
digital servos are nice, but not necessary (unless used with the futaba hrs system)
Thanks for the advice. Sorry about not having checked the recent low profile thread, I didn't think "low profile" mattered for TC so I never clicked on it, and the first five pages of search results for "steering servo" didn't have a "recommend a steering servo?" thread. I do try to be a responsible forum user.

On the HRS comment you made though, maybe you can correct a possible misperception of mine. I thought while HRS was "faster" in terms of milliseconds of response time, that Spektrum systems were even faster. So couldn't that make the digital servo advantage relevant to anyone with a DSM system in any radio? I've been a little confused about this, since people talk about HRS so much, but it seemed sort of obselete-at-birth to me...
Old 04-20-2006, 08:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

sure. actually, i too have had problems searching for some old threads lately.

someone had a good post on the spektrum bit about two or three months ago. it went something like this.

while spectrum offers the best response time by itself, it's repsonse time is in series with the response time of the standard radio, so it's actually a bit slower overall than not using it. however, it's on a level that is barely detectable, so i wouldn't worry much.

the hrs comment referred to equipment compatibility. the futaba hrs system will not properly operate an analog servo. so it's not so much a recommendation, as it is an instruction, from futaba. i think spectrum is ok with analog stuff though.

cost no issue, pick a top end, high speed, digital servo from any of the top manufacturers. sanwa and ko have the quickest out there at around .06sec. i personally like the short futaba 9550, but it is a bit slower than the others at .11sec.