R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   YAAAYYYYYY Merry Xmas Guys (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/11082-yaaayyyyyy-merry-xmas-guys.html)

Mort 12-25-2002 04:40 AM

YAAAYYYYYY Merry Xmas Guys

hope you all got what you wanted for Xmas :)

Girlfriend wouldn't let me get new batteries earlier this month, found out why today..............
she got me 3 matched packs of Sanyo RC3000 HVs :D :D
I just need to know if this Charger will be ok to charge them with or should i go for something else in the New Year sales?
If so, what do you guys recommend to get?

TIA

Taz 12-25-2002 07:05 AM

I have never seen that charger b-4. Santa came early ( about 1 month ago) and brought the Turbo 35. I gained 4 laps at my local track with doing nothing but upgrading the charger (who knows if the charger had all to do with it) but i noticed a large difference! I had been using the Millenium Pro and the Integy 16x3, those also worked well. Good luck. MERRY CHRISTMAS

racerdx6 12-25-2002 05:59 PM

Well it says that it can charge Nimh. So it would work for you. But I have no expierance with that charger so I don't have any idea if it's any good. sorry.

paulc 12-25-2002 06:06 PM

Mort: you cant go wrong with a Novak Charger. If you want to prolong the life of those matched cells get a Novak Mill Pro (at least)...

Merry X'Mas.

Paul

Evil_S10 12-25-2002 07:37 PM

Was wondering what kind of price range you are looking at? Because I would personally stick with a charger that everyone has and it is known a whole lot about. I just have no clue about that charger.

Deves 12-25-2002 08:00 PM

Mort, That charger is fine for charging your new battries. It is has an adjustable charge current and Nimh batteries, Merrry Christmas! :)

racerdx6 12-25-2002 09:06 PM

What about the Reedy Quasar or the Reedy Quasar Pro? They're Nicd/Nimh compatible and they have an adjustable charge rate, I think .5 volts to 6.5 volts. What do people know about the Quasar? I want to get more serious about electric racing so I wanna upgrade from my Dynamite Vision Peak charger to the Quasar, and I also wanna get into gas cars. So eventually I will wanna upgrade from alkaline reciever battarys to a Nimh reciever pack. And then I would also need a charger for my reciever pack. AWhat voltage are reciever packs supposed to be charged? If I can charge a Nimh reciever pack with the Quasar, what would I have to do? Would I have to install special connectors or something? If I can't charge a reciever pack with the Quasar, does anyone know of a different charger that would charge reciever packs?

Deves 12-25-2002 09:14 PM

Racerdx6, I have a Quasar pro and it is great! I use it to charge all kinds of batteries from AA nicads to 6 cell NIMH'S it will charge them all! I made a connector to use for different batteries.
And yes it will charge 5 cell receiver packs also. :)

racerdx6 12-25-2002 09:21 PM

Thanks! :) . Thats great news :) . So basically to charge a 5 cell reciever pack, I would just use a different connector. Cool, what voltage do you charge a reciever pack at? Would charging at 1 volt be safe? Or should I just go with .5 volts?

racerdx6 12-25-2002 09:29 PM

reciever pack configuration?

Ok, now I have another question. What style of 5 cell receiver pack will fit the t-maxx? Would the standard gas hump work? Or should I just check out my local hobby shop to see what fits? But someone here must know.

Deves 12-25-2002 10:30 PM

The charger comes with instructions that tell you what charge rate to use for different batteries. It has 2 wires coming out of it that have alligator clips attached on the ends. (1 positive and 1 negative) I made a connector that I just connect the clips to.
I don't know what kind of receiver pack fits the Tmaxx but i'm sure someone on this board does. :)

Mort 12-26-2002 01:55 AM

OK, thanks for the replies guys :)
I'm looking at spending in the region of £180/250 ($250/350) on a new charger, but need one that is readily available and with good service backup in The UK.
I've heard loads of people sing the praises of the Turbo35 but cant find them anywhere here same with the Mill Pro as well and the Quasars, though i think they might be easier to get hold of than the Turbo35.
Deves i know you say mine will be fine, but how about all this discharge at 20/30 amps and drop-back voltage when charging and peak detect stuff? shouldnt i have a charger that does all that too or is that just unnessecary extras?
I would prefer one that is AC/DC powered if possible
All i race is club races every other week.
Evil....how about a Roadrunner or Barracuda body for your Losi or a '59 Impala :)

TIA

Deves 12-26-2002 09:47 AM

Mort, i just reread the specs on your charger and the only thing I saw that it didn't have was a 20 or 30 amp discharge rate. You could get yourself about 10-12 1157 automotive light bulbs and discharge that way.
I also use a 5" muffin fan to keep my batteries cool while charging/discharging. Remember though these batteries are Nimh and you don't need to discharge them after every run because they don't develop a memory like Nicads.

Jarrod Langlois 12-26-2002 11:24 AM

mort- integy also has an idividual 20 amp discharge device the also have a 30 amp model as well. they are called indi reactor i think.

deves- you shouldnt have a fan on your cells as they charge this builds up the resistance as they are charging and wont let them charge properly.

paulc 12-26-2002 05:03 PM

Re: reciever pack configuration?

Originally posted by racerdx6
Ok, now I have another question. What style of 5 cell receiver pack will fit the t-maxx? Would the standard gas hump work? Or should I just check out my local hobby shop to see what fits? But someone here must know.
I used to use a 5 cell straight pack from my MTX2, I took out the old battery compartment (the black plastic cover). I left the base to act as a base for the batt pack. Its a bit tight, but fits just right... :)