Like Tree105Likes

Tamiya MB-01

Old 01-31-2024, 09:13 PM
  #151  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (2)
 
gigaplex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Melbourne, VIC
Posts: 6,389
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by jdob
I am asking which (gear) diff/outdrives I need to use with the 53597 M03 Universals - if the stock ones will not work - as other users above have mentioned may be the case.

Any help is appreciated - Thanks!
Stock diff will work if you change the outdrives. Or you can change to a different oil sealed diff. There's quite a few options.
jdob likes this.
gigaplex is offline  
Old 02-01-2024, 12:00 AM
  #152  
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Czech republic
Posts: 464
Default

Originally Posted by jdob
I am asking which (gear) diff/outdrives I need to use with the 53597 M03 Universals - if the stock ones will not work - as other users above have mentioned may be the case.

Any help is appreciated - Thanks!
Assuming that the MB-01 diff are the same as TT-02, #19804237 outdrives used in TT-02S should work. Alternatively, you can get an XV-02 sealed diff, which comes with metal outdrives.

EDIT: Tamiya parts matching list suggests using #54477 outdrives. By the looks, it's just a reinforced variant of the #19804237.
jdob likes this.

Last edited by Papi; 02-01-2024 at 12:12 AM.
Papi is offline  
Old 04-08-2024, 11:27 AM
  #153  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Upstate, SC
Posts: 106
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

I see a couple new bodies coming:

https://www.tamiyausa.com/shop/110-m...ett-gte/mb-01/

https://www.tamiyausa.com/shop/110-m...roen-ds/mb-01/

leadfootedfool is offline  
Old 04-09-2024, 05:10 AM
  #154  
Tech Apprentice
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Apr 2022
Posts: 53
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by leadfootedfool
As someone whos driven an old Citreon, you really have to recreate their ultra floaty suspension to get the full effect. Otherwise it just doesn't look authentic in action.
leadfootedfool likes this.
Revolter22 is offline  
Old 04-09-2024, 05:16 AM
  #155  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Upstate, SC
Posts: 106
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

That’s what was so great about the M01 and M02. They were goofy and fun to drive and bobbed and torque steered and had a true scale speed and handling to them.

I finally broke down and ordered the prepainted abarth, we’ll see if it’s as fun as the old ones.
MonkeyCmonkeyDo likes this.
leadfootedfool is offline  
Old 04-22-2024, 12:50 PM
  #156  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (110)
 
Core Creations's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Back in the booth
Posts: 6,301
Trader Rating: 110 (100%+)
Default

I had a chance to build a kit this last week. I did just a couple hop up and the car is not bad at all on carpet. I added a sealed rear diff, aluminum suspension balls, CVA shocks and a little bling. This car is at least as good ast the 03-06 generation of minis. Lots of slop, but who cares. They are a blast to drive! IMO, this kit gets back to what makes Tamiya kits fun!

My only real compliants are the steering limiters (quick dremel fix) and lack of other options. If you’re on the fence…pull the trigger. Super fun kit!




Last edited by Core Creations; 04-22-2024 at 01:08 PM.
Core Creations is offline  
Old 04-22-2024, 02:26 PM
  #157  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (2)
 
gigaplex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Melbourne, VIC
Posts: 6,389
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Core Creations
I had a chance to build a kit this last week. I did just a couple hop up and the car is not bad at all on carpet. I added a sealed rear diff, aluminum suspension balls, CVA shocks and a little bling. This car is at least as good ast the 03-06 generation of minis. Lots of slop, but who cares. They are a blast to drive! IMO, this kit gets back to what makes Tamiya kits fun!

My only real compliants are the steering limiters (quick dremel fix) and lack of other options. If you’re on the fence…pull the trigger. Super fun kit!


Dremel isn't an option under a lot of rulesets.
gigaplex is offline  
Old 04-22-2024, 03:01 PM
  #158  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (110)
 
Core Creations's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Back in the booth
Posts: 6,301
Trader Rating: 110 (100%+)
Default

There isn’t a specific class for this here so it’s all good. If there is ever to be a TCS specific class, they’ll have to address it.

Originally Posted by gigaplex
Dremel isn't an option under a lot of rulesets.
Core Creations is offline  
Old 04-22-2024, 07:12 PM
  #159  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (4)
 
MonkeyCmonkeyDo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2023
Location: Puyallup, WA. USA
Posts: 883
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

I dig the crx body. Good choice.
d
MonkeyCmonkeyDo is offline  
Old 05-11-2024, 08:37 PM
  #160  
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: May 2024
Posts: 1
Default

Hello, I am new to the forum and to Tamiya RC Cars. I usually run TLR or Associated. I purchased a MB-01 for my nephew, and we run it at a local track that has an M-Class. It is the Giulia Sprint GTA Club (MB-01)
The issue as soon as he touches a board, the pivot ball (P7) pops out of the upper arm (M2). The assembly is Page 7 of the build manual for the car.

It is very unreliable to run at a race without the ball popping out. I guess I can try to purchase new arms and pivot balls, but it seems this a weak portion of the car. Someone at the track had a M-07 and M-06. Is there any way to adapt the suspension from the other M cars to the MB-01? Or, is there any aftermarket parts that will work to make this more reliable?

Hoping someone can help.
TurboCooler is offline  
Old 05-11-2024, 10:42 PM
  #161  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (2)
 
gigaplex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Melbourne, VIC
Posts: 6,389
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by TurboCooler
Hello, I am new to the forum and to Tamiya RC Cars. I usually run TLR or Associated. I purchased a MB-01 for my nephew, and we run it at a local track that has an M-Class. It is the Giulia Sprint GTA Club (MB-01)
The issue as soon as he touches a board, the pivot ball (P7) pops out of the upper arm (M2). The assembly is Page 7 of the build manual for the car.

It is very unreliable to run at a race without the ball popping out. I guess I can try to purchase new arms and pivot balls, but it seems this a weak portion of the car. Someone at the track had a M-07 and M-06. Is there any way to adapt the suspension from the other M cars to the MB-01? Or, is there any aftermarket parts that will work to make this more reliable?

Hoping someone can help.
No the parts aren't compatible between the MB-01 and the other cars. What are the rules for the class you run in? Tamiya mini classes often have restrictive rulesets regarding aftermarket parts.

You might be able to run a wide washer in between the screw and the ball to try to capture it, though I haven't tried that yet.
gigaplex is offline  
Old 05-12-2024, 01:18 PM
  #162  
Tech Apprentice
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Apr 2022
Posts: 53
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by TurboCooler
Hello, I am new to the forum and to Tamiya RC Cars. I usually run TLR or Associated. I purchased a MB-01 for my nephew, and we run it at a local track that has an M-Class. It is the Giulia Sprint GTA Club (MB-01)
The issue as soon as he touches a board, the pivot ball (P7) pops out of the upper arm (M2).
You can either run a wide washer on each pivot ball, or order two sets of metal "low friction" pivot balls, part no. 54559, or something in-between. I did that on my MB01 and they quit popping out. No new arms necessary.

I hate to say it, but the MB01 isnt quite as robust as the old M05/M06 models. It doesn't share any parts with the M07/M08 nor the previous models.
gigaplex likes this.
Revolter22 is offline  
Old 06-01-2024, 04:29 PM
  #163  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (2)
 
gigaplex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Melbourne, VIC
Posts: 6,389
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

I finally took my one for a spin about 3 weeks ago (in FWD configuration) and it wasn't as awful as I was expecting. It did tend to bind up and stall mid corner a bit with full steering lock, unsure if it's the front wheels fighting each other with the inverse Ackerman or if it's the dog bones. But I did run into an issue with the stock servo saver. It has a stub that sticks down and hits the body of the servo, further limiting the steering travel in one direction. It looks intentional, I can't see a reason for the stub existing. I've looked into replacing it with something else, but the 51000 saver will significantly move the ball stud vertically which might bind the short link. The Tamiya part list for the car suggests the 51000 saver, seems like Tamiya really haven't paid any attention to this at all.

Car was mostly stock other than bearings, oil dampers and alloy wheel hexes.
angrymelon and Revolter22 like this.
gigaplex is offline  
Old 06-06-2024, 07:58 PM
  #164  
Tech Apprentice
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Apr 2022
Posts: 53
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by gigaplex
I IThe Tamiya part list for the car suggests the 51000 saver, seems like Tamiya really haven't paid any attention to this at all.
I'm pretty certain that Tamiya spent most of their design resources on the transmission and wheelbase adjustment, then added in everything else as an afterthought.
gigaplex likes this.
Revolter22 is offline  
Old 06-06-2024, 08:15 PM
  #165  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (2)
 
gigaplex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Melbourne, VIC
Posts: 6,389
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Revolter22
I'm pretty certain that Tamiya spent most of their design resources on the transmission and wheelbase adjustment, then added in everything else as an afterthought.
And still they came up with that driveshaft 🤔
gigaplex is offline  

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.