R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-21-2006, 05:02 PM   #121
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxkat
I did read that your motors were fast..
I did read that BMI chassis's are nice..
I did read that Ray was old..
I think most of this is true..Right..

yes this is all true...
"I vowed to never let this happen.."
chubbspeterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 07:28 AM   #122
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

hi guys im looking to get a shaft car for 27T stock racing

is there any expereinced stock drivers out there that have used both drivetrains and believe the shaft cars are faster in terms of lap times?

most of the replies here are directed for mod class racing.

so the question do shaft cars carry more advantage then belt cars in 27T stock class racing ?

more punch and more free drivetrain compared to belts
Old 09-14-2006, 08:18 AM   #123
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainTeased
hi guys im looking to get a shaft car for 27T stock racing

is there any expereinced stock drivers out there that have used both drivetrains and believe the shaft cars are faster in terms of lap times?

most of the replies here are directed for mod class racing.

so the question do shaft cars carry more advantage then belt cars in 27T stock class racing ?

more punch and more free drive train compared to belts
I guess I could call myself an experienced stock driver. I still use both platforms. I am speaking for myself (just an opinion). I have found that I'm about a lap faster (1 to 3 tenths a lap) running my Pro4 vs. my Yokomo BD. It seems to me that the pro4 exits the corners faster (more punch) so it does seem to carry more speed down the straights, It's not much but when every foot counts...it matters. I was running an Xray 05 FK the best I ever did with that car was a 3rd, most of the time I was mid pack. I bought a Pro4 first race a TQ and a win... By the end of our series I was winning by a Lap. So was it because the Pro4 suited my driving style more or was it because the shaft worked better in stock ? I think it was both. I'm not sure if I would have had the same results if I was running a TC4, but I do think if I was using a Tamiya Evo4, Yokomo SD or an Alex Cuda the results would have been close. The Yokomo BD, Corally RDX, HB Cyclone and the 415 all have very free drive trains and are very close to the performance of any shaft car out their. The performance is very very close. I still give the "nod" to the shaft TC's in stock...27 or 23.
Oasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 10:59 AM   #124
Tech Regular

I recently switched from a BMI FK05 to a Diggity Designs TC3 conversion and gained a lap. I heard horror stories about shaft cars. I think if you're smooth on the throttle, a shaft drive can be every bit as smooth as a belt car. As far as the freeness(is that even a word!?!) of the drive train, the XLR8 I drive now is as free as anything out there.
Stampede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 11:25 AM   #125
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

i drive a belt car but i think that belts are just the flavor on the week if u know wat i mean.

the only reason they are so popular is because no one is making a shaft car any more and the ones who have one AE , tamiya, Kyosho are puting more emphasin on the belt rather that makin the shaft car more compedative
Alex "ACE" Kubilus
ACE design works
RaceAce701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 01:41 PM   #126
Tech Rookie

Send a message via AIM to SlumberMachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by bender
Sorry, but that's simply not correct - no laterally mounted motor car should ever torque steer.
False. EVERY CAR HAS TORQUE STEER TO A CERTAIN DEGREE. Ever drive a Honda Prelude? The spinning of the wheels themselves will introduce a pull to the right, enough that the driver needs to quickly pull the wheel to the left or else go into a different lane. It's similar in RC cars. Wheels have weight, and they spin, thus pulling to the right when accelerating due to centrifigal force in a vertical position. You can dial out a lot of toque steer, especially with 4wd, but it will always be there to some degree. Still, you are correct, a shaft drive car with a longitudnally mounted motor will have more then a belt laterally mounted motor. Is it a big deal? If your motor is very very strong it is.
SlumberMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 02:05 PM   #127
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have the education to analyze the torque steer situation and the other forces involved with these cars. I think Slumber is full of ****. Do I overestimate my knowledge?
When someone is intent on excelling in an otherwise laudable manner, does he not desire to inflict pain on others by means of his exalted status and enjoy the envy he arouses? Is there not an anticipated delight in an artist's ability to defeat his artistic rivals, which heightens his euphoria in creation?
-Nietzsche
adamge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 02:28 PM   #128
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamge
I have the education to analyze the torque steer situation and the other forces involved with these cars. I think Slumber is full of ****. Do I overestimate my knowledge?
Then please, explain how a Honda Prelude, with an engine perpendicular to the chassis has extreme amounts of torque steer upon hard acceleration?

You blow yourself about your education, but don't give a single fact to state how I'm wrong. So, are you going to claim BS without saying why? Now who looks like they are full of shit?
Old 09-14-2006, 02:30 PM   #129
Tech Rookie

BTW, I just took my evo 5 with 19t motor in it outside and did a few full throttle runs. The car did not pull in any direction other then straight.
Old 09-14-2006, 02:36 PM   #130
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

the best comparison for shaft vs belt would be the
yok bd vs yok lcg since the suspension components are identical.

From what ive been told by someone who owns both cars. He seems to prefer the shaft version since he only races 19 turn.
Old 09-14-2006, 02:44 PM   #131
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to seaball

Old 09-14-2006, 02:50 PM   #132
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to seaball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis M.
the best comparison for shaft vs belt would be the
yok bd vs yok lcg since the suspension components are identical.
no, it's still really flawed. the weight distribution is different. the ackermann is different. i don't even know if the camber links and such can be duplicated. the chassis stiffness is off. not to mention the cg is different, etc.

it would suffice to say any difference in efficiency from one to the other is negligible. right now the belt cars are winning because the belt drivetrain allows for other more favorible attributes in other areas of the car like steering geometry. not to mention the quality of the production. it is not related to rip.
Old 09-14-2006, 02:51 PM   #133
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaball
agreed
Old 09-14-2006, 02:55 PM   #134
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaball
no, it's still really flawed. the weigh distribution is different. the ackermann is different. i don't even know if the camber links and such can be duplicated. the chassis stiffness is off. not to mention the cg is different, etc.

it would suffice to say any difference in efficiency from one to the other is negligible. right now the belt cars are winning because the belt drive train allows for other more favorable attributes in other areas of the car like steering geometry. not to mention the quality of the production. it is not related to rip.
I own both and the LCG has the stiffness of a wet noodle...I prefer the BD.
the camber links are close, a lot of the suspension on both cars are close but they handle way different.
Old 09-14-2006, 02:56 PM   #135
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (92%+)
Send a message via AIM to wallstreet

Tommy Kramer Edition YOK SD is the shaft car to have. It is a bad ass ride !!
wallstreet is offline   Reply With Quote