Wiki Posts
Search

Why NO Top Shaft Tourers?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 03:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TeamHomies
Ummmmmmmmmm.........I dont think there was one in the top twenty @ the pre-worlds, good looking out for the shafties...
did you go to see the previous WC in top ten a main only three people using belt drive how could you say shaft drive no good? they only change their mind after 415 MS win the race. if let shaft drive win the race now i dun think we will seeing cyclone, T2, BD on the market maybe pro 5 or EVO 4 World Edi came out

Last edited by EngTat; 04-19-2006 at 04:07 PM.
Old 04-19-2006, 08:36 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by TimPotter
Actaully I believe Marc R won in 2004 driving a 415, the previous winner was Surikarn piloting a 414, and before that it was a Yokomo belted car with Hara at the wheel...
I'm pointing Surikarn, he's 2002 WC on 414, on 2004 he's using Evo4,
while of course Rheinard driving and won 2004 using 415
Old 04-19-2006, 08:50 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by rayhuang
Ahhh-beat me to it!! The TKE LCG Yok is ridiculousely fast, but not just in terms of pure rip-they made it handle awesome too. But-yeah-the car has that shaft drive rip and thats an advantage when you get the cars handling right.

A good old Pro4 or TC3 in the right hands will still be a force to be reckoned with.
Rayhuang-I cant find any pics of TKE LCG on web, could you post some pictutre of it.
Thanks.
Old 04-19-2006, 09:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ChadCapece
Have you ever even owned a shaft driven car?

A slight droop adjustment cancels out the torque steer that is ONLY seen in low turn modified racing.
He started out with a TC3 or TC4. But he's just a kid.. Plus he's sponsored by Schumacher.

As for torque steer... I've experienced it in stock as well. Just not as noticable as with a 7x1.... Each person is different. I liked how my EvoIV handled. It was great. Now I can't wait to try the EvoV. I even like my RaySpeed SD. But never had the chance to try the LCG.

Anyways, alot is driver preference. For some, it may be too hard to be consistant with how "snappy" a shaft car may be. So the smoothness of a belt drive may be the way to go for them. But in stock... I think shafts may have a slight advantage. Just not a lot of people are running them. Especially with alot of other companys (belted cars) just handing out sponsorships to stock drivers where as the shaft car companies don't. Just opinion.. but blah blah blah.. hehe
Old 04-20-2006, 03:58 AM
Tech Addict

Default perhaps I can help....

Tommy Kramer SD Car contact yokomo for release dates...
Attached Thumbnails Why NO Top Shaft Tourers?-100_0326.jpg  

Last edited by chubbspeterson; 04-20-2006 at 03:59 AM. Reason: want too
Old 04-20-2006, 07:08 AM
Tech Adept

whoa looks like the batteries are much further forward and its got worlds edition short front wishbones = lots of steering. much stiffer chassis too, good for your foam tyres i spose
Old 04-20-2006, 07:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

yeah, the chassis doesn't have any cut throughs. it's like the lcg, but with a continuous top deck, and the steering appears to be shoved forward along with the cells.

yeah, this will be a carpet killer for sure.
Old 04-20-2006, 07:31 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by seaball
yeah, the chassis doesn't have any cut throughs. it's like the lcg, but with a continuous top deck, and the steering appears to be shoved forward along with the cells.

yeah, this will be a carpet killer for sure.
Old 04-20-2006, 07:38 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

edit-I am too stupid to figure this stuff out-I am out of here!!!
Old 04-20-2006, 07:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

ray, i think it would be simpler just to have different outdrives for the front of the car than the rear. basically, just shift the whole transmission over 6mm or so. i'm not sure why this has not been done. especially when you look at gil losi's method of using wide diffs with long bones on the prototype stuff that hodge and ciccarello have.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:12 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EngTat
did you go to see the previous WC in top ten a main only three people using belt drive how could you say shaft drive no good? they only change their mind after 415 MS win the race. if let shaft drive win the race now i dun think we will seeing cyclone, T2, BD on the market maybe pro 5 or EVO 4 World Edi came out
i dont think anyone can say shaft drive cars are no good, but from a theoretical point of view, belt drive cars have a clear balance advantage in low turn modified, clearly its all your own personal preference though.

iv still got my old SSG SD, and i loved the car, funnily enough i never had issues with torque steer. what i did have however was torque effect when i braked, i found it really hard to brake late and hard while keeping it in a straight line. as much as i loved the SSG, its all too obvious that iv done much better with my BD. i just happen to be one of the people that prefers belt drive cars when im using a 7
Old 04-20-2006, 09:59 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by housey
i dont think anyone can say shaft drive cars are no good, but from a theoretical point of view, belt drive cars have a clear balance advantage in low turn modified, clearly its all your own personal preference though.

iv still got my old SSG SD, and i loved the car, funnily enough i never had issues with torque steer. what i did have however was torque effect when i braked, i found it really hard to brake late and hard while keeping it in a straight line. as much as i loved the SSG, its all too obvious that iv done much better with my BD. i just happen to be one of the people that prefers belt drive cars when im using a 7
I agree with Housey, personal preference.

I too still have an old Yok SD CGM that I'll still race competivetly with in stock. I enjoy the way a shaftie drives, it feels more like a car with its quicker acceleration, maybe more challanging at times vs the newer belt cars, but that is one of the things I especially enjoy about it. IMHO, if I can win against some of the newer cars I feel I have done a nice share of driving.

But in the lower turn motors I too run a belt, I feel I am giving away to big of an advantage for my driving skill.
Old 04-21-2006, 12:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ark
my two cents... belt driven cars have an advantage over shaft in the way which the relationship in the motor is to the chassis.
If you hold a belt drive car in one hand and accelerate you can feel the torque from the motor rock the car back and forth. If you do the same to a shaft, it rocks from side to side.
This is magnified very much especially if you have a high rpm modified in the car.
So the way to look at it is if the motor rotates on the same axis as the wheels are turning, then there is more symmetry in the power application. The ideal would be a shaft drive with a motor positioned like a belt car! Cause a shaft driveline does rotate freer than a belt.

nuff said now.
AAARGHH!! I take these cars so serious (not at all) now your really throwin' in something to get me goinnnn!!!

You've pointed out one of the most interesting things about how the two cars react, the whole gyro-scopic effect I suppose. Watch a shaft car on the track they favor a light handed, precise driver. A BD takes to ham-fisted driving a bit better, I think. Did notice a local guy switch between a shaft and a belt car on race day and he as a bit more smooth with the belt car. But hey whateve'
Old 04-21-2006, 12:43 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by pookat
I don't see that it would be difficult for a manufacturer to make a diff gear with an extra tooth for a shaft car?
Maybe they just don't want to?

With this i think the cost of producing this would be higher, hence why it hasn't happened. Maybe this could be done through having an extra tooth on the bevel on the shaft? Then one shaft would do for both under and over drive, plus this would remove the need for rebuilding the diffs.

Oh well maybe associated are look at this and want my idea if so get in touch and pay me out!!!
Old 04-21-2006, 03:35 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Just buy one of each and be done! Everyone here agrees the shaft cars excell in stock, 19t spec classes, and belt rules everything else. The more power you feed a belt the more it likes it. Some days I can post better times with my Hara, and others my belt. Track size, layout, grip, and motor type used greatly effect both chassis. I've decided having both types is not a car A VS car B thing, just another option on what to run at the track race night, gotta love having choices!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.