Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Differential Problems...

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2006, 02:37 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Differential Problems...

Ok so i got my TC3 out yesterday and not to my surprise the same problem as last fall was still haunting it. My differentials get loose after a min or 2 of running to the point where it feels like i hardly have any torque. I am running a Novak 5800 in it. Maybe this motor is too powerful for stock diffs.??? What kind of part(s) would I get to fix this. Also my front diff was rebuilt just pry<5 runs ago. Thanx any help is appreciated
Old 04-18-2006, 02:48 PM
Tech Regular

Try putting in a new locking nut on the diff bolt. Might want to use locktite too.
Old 04-18-2006, 08:33 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JMan8108
Ok so i got my TC3 out yesterday and not to my surprise the same problem as last fall was still haunting it. My differentials get loose after a min or 2 of running to the point where it feels like i hardly have any torque. I am running a Novak 5800 in it. Maybe this motor is too powerful for stock diffs.??? What kind of part(s) would I get to fix this. Also my front diff was rebuilt just pry<5 runs ago. Thanx any help is appreciated
Stock, as in stock PLASTIC diff outdrives? If that's the case, then that's the problem right there. Just get a set of steel outdrives & you'll be good to go(the lightened ones for the TC4 should drop right in, & they work very nicely, I have a set of them myself). Those plastic outdrives tend to heat up alot when you put alot of power through them(like you're doing with a brushless motor, those outdrives even get stressed from a brushed 19 turn motor, & yours is more powerful than that), & as they do, they can loosen, the slots can spead(which has happened to me alot when I used the plastic ones) & they can even melt if you're not VERY careful(done that too, ). But the steel ones will hold their setting well, & best of all, they're practically BOMBPROOF, so you can install, set 'em & forget 'em....
Old 04-19-2006, 02:30 PM
Tech Initiate

Have to agree with JW and say try a new locknut first.
Failing that then steel or ally diff halves - IRS make some nice blue ones.
Old 04-19-2006, 02:42 PM
Tech Regular

i ran 9 turn motor in my tc3 finally blew a diff after close to 2 months of racing. that was with the stock plastic outdrives. i would go with a new springand a new diff nut. the diff nut might spin in the out drive that houses this nut.

just my$.02
Old 04-19-2006, 04:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

FYI - check out EBAY for the outdrives. There is this one guy who is always selling off HG stuff, usually wheels, skidplates, and....TC3 outdrives
Old 04-19-2006, 04:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I figured I'd make it easier for you

http://cgi.ebay.com/HGI-ALLOY-DIFF-O...QQcmdZViewItem