R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-18-2006, 08:18 AM   #1
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 31
Default sorry cant think of a sutable title

Hi , does any one elses 1/10 touring car do this. My Yokomo Mr-4 TC custom is belt driven 4wd, its hard to move it from the standing still to a slow pace ,pushing it by hand, is the belt somehow to tight or is the car like that when u add a motor ?
its not to clear what i mean and i realise that but please try to work it out.
BeastFromDaEast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 08:29 AM   #2
Tech Master
 
hobbipro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: West Palm Beach
Posts: 1,326
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default

When the motor is not in the car, can you push it and make it roll easily? If not look at the belt tension, it should not be really tight, you should be able to move it a few millimeters when you lightly push on it. If the belts are OK then look at the bearings, they may need to be cleaned, oiled or even replaced. If all seems OK after that, take the motor and try to turn the shaft by hand, you should feel a "thump" from the magnets as you turn it, if its really hard to turn you will need to take it apart to see if its jammed with trash, or possibly a bad bearing.
hobbipro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 08:32 AM   #3
Tech Addict
 
Jam-ehz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 592
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Jam-ehz
Default

It'll be the motor doing that.. if you take the motor out, and it's still tight, then you have binding problems. Can you lightly press down on the belt and feel slack, or is it stretched tight across?

When the motor's out, try to turn the pinion by hand. They offer quite a bit of resistance from the strong magnets, and that's multiplied by the gear ratio of the car itself.
__________________
-=≡ Tamiya TA05 TRF415MSX F103R M-03R M-04 M-05 ≡=-
-=≡ CRC Carpet Knife 3.2 OFNA LD3 Pro Fastcats Spektrum ׀ווlı ≡=-
Jam-ehz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 09:54 AM   #4
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 31
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jam-ehz
It'll be the motor doing that.. if you take the motor out, and it's still tight, then you have binding problems. Can you lightly press down on the belt and feel slack, or is it stretched tight across?

When the motor's out, try to turn the pinion by hand. They offer quite a bit of resistance from the strong magnets, and that's multiplied by the gear ratio of the car itself.
the belt is slack so it cant be that
BeastFromDaEast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 09:56 AM   #5
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 31
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbipro
When the motor is not in the car, can you push it and make it roll easily? If not look at the belt tension, it should not be really tight, you should be able to move it a few millimeters when you lightly push on it. If the belts are OK then look at the bearings, they may need to be cleaned, oiled or even replaced. If all seems OK after that, take the motor and try to turn the shaft by hand, you should feel a "thump" from the magnets as you turn it, if its really hard to turn you will need to take it apart to see if its jammed with trash, or possibly a bad bearing.
It cant be the bearings because there brand new (so is the whole car) the motors new so it cant be full of trash, it could be bad bearing inside , il ask at my local hobby shop. thanx for advice tho
BeastFromDaEast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 10:24 AM   #6
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 31
Default

i moved the motor away from the gear and it moves v.smooth. Wats wrong with my motor ? how can i fix it ?

Edit: I just took out the motor and tryed to spin it with my fingers, The motor jumps and does not spin smothly, is that normal ?

Last edited by BeastFromDaEast; 04-18-2006 at 10:44 AM.
BeastFromDaEast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 11:04 AM   #7
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: MI
Posts: 462
Default

Yes, that's normal. The magnets and armature in a brushed motor cause it to do that.
Unregistered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 11:07 AM   #8
Tech Regular
 
Andrew Swanson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: So Cal, USA
Posts: 297
Send a message via AIM to Andrew Swanson Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Swanson
Default

the motor has natural "cogging" meaning the magnetic filed will make it kinda notchy feeling but it shouild be smooth and not hard to turn. If it is there might be something inside of it.

maybe a small screw or eclip when you were building it.
Andrew Swanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 11:10 AM   #9
Tech Fanatic
 
minicooper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Beautiful Downtown L.A. Where the sky is always on fire and the grass is always brown
Posts: 949
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to minicooper Send a message via Yahoo to minicooper
Default

How is your car geared? What size spur and pinion are you running. You might be running to low a gear for it to get going. Also want motor are you using?
minicooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 11:44 AM   #10
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 31
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Swanson
the motor has natural "cogging" meaning the magnetic filed will make it kinda notchy feeling but it shouild be smooth and not hard to turn. If it is there might be something inside of it.

maybe a small screw or eclip when you were building it.
I didnt build the motor
BeastFromDaEast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 11:47 AM   #11
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 31
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by minicooper
How is your car geared? What size spur and pinion are you running. You might be running to low a gear for it to get going. Also want motor are you using?
i dont know wat spur it is but i know the pinion is i think 22t. im using a 14T motor called peak racing ..something something something.
when im actually using it its smooth only when trying to pull of v.v.v.slow it makes the noise but does not move, thats normal tho. right ?
BeastFromDaEast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 12:02 PM   #12
Tech Elite
 
PitCrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Seattle Indoor Raceway
Posts: 2,129
Default

Normal.

RC motors will not turn infintesemly slow. They kinda have a minimum RPM to work at.
PitCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 12:12 PM   #13
Tech Master
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: UK
Posts: 1,244
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastFromDaEast
i dont know wat spur it is but i know the pinion is i think 22t. im using a 14T motor called peak racing ..something something something.
when im actually using it its smooth only when trying to pull of v.v.v.slow it makes the noise but does not move, thats normal tho. right ?

this noise is most likely the speedo,if u apply just a tad power,not enuff to move the vehicle u will hear a high frequancy noise,this is the speedo,they work off frequancy.
__________________
Tamiya
Much More Racing
LRP electronic
Futaba
Speedtechrc
trf racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 12:24 PM   #14
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 31
Default

so pushing the throttle about 1mm forward u hear a high noice is normal ? yes ?
but is the turning it by hand normal , the way it jumps around like the magnets inside are holding it still then leting it go ect. , thats normal ?
BeastFromDaEast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 12:34 PM   #15
Tech Master
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: UK
Posts: 1,244
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastFromDaEast
so pushing the throttle about 1mm forward u hear a high noice is normal ? yes ?
but is the turning it by hand normal , the way it jumps around like the magnets inside are holding it still then leting it go ect. , thats normal ?
i cannot tell what 1mm does on ur radio.
if u push the throttle so the car takes up slack in the transiomission ie it goes to go but it cant,this is normal,bc the armature has to produce power to get over the cogging effect which is caused by the magnets this is normal.
motors perform best when they rev,running your car at low speeds will not tell you anything about how the car or motor are working,you could burn the motor out by doing this,what does the car/motor run like at high speeds.
what your trying to do is like trying to pull away from a standstill start in 4th gear,the motor cannot produce enuff power at little throttle.run your car normal speeds and se what it does.
__________________
Tamiya
Much More Racing
LRP electronic
Futaba
Speedtechrc
trf racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FS: Too much to put in the title!! aussiebuddha Australia For Sale/Trade 1 01-31-2008 09:45 PM
title scoobydew Rookie Zone 2 07-25-2007 08:37 AM
thread title removed andy_666 Chat Lounge 12 04-13-2006 01:06 AM
NSW State Title Wynnum_Racer Australian Racing 3 02-13-2005 12:35 AM
edited title Nrctc3 Electric On-Road 2 11-18-2004 05:39 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 10:09 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net