R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   sorry cant think of a sutable title (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/110591-sorry-cant-think-sutable-title.html)

BeastFromDaEast 04-18-2006 07:18 AM

sorry cant think of a sutable title

Hi , does any one elses 1/10 touring car do this. My Yokomo Mr-4 TC custom is belt driven 4wd, its hard to move it from the standing still to a slow pace ,pushing it by hand, is the belt somehow to tight or is the car like that when u add a motor ?
its not to clear what i mean and i realise that but please try to work it out.

hobbipro 04-18-2006 07:29 AM

When the motor is not in the car, can you push it and make it roll easily? If not look at the belt tension, it should not be really tight, you should be able to move it a few millimeters when you lightly push on it. If the belts are OK then look at the bearings, they may need to be cleaned, oiled or even replaced. If all seems OK after that, take the motor and try to turn the shaft by hand, you should feel a "thump" from the magnets as you turn it, if its really hard to turn you will need to take it apart to see if its jammed with trash, or possibly a bad bearing.

Jam-ehz 04-18-2006 07:32 AM

It'll be the motor doing that.. if you take the motor out, and it's still tight, then you have binding problems. Can you lightly press down on the belt and feel slack, or is it stretched tight across?

When the motor's out, try to turn the pinion by hand. They offer quite a bit of resistance from the strong magnets, and that's multiplied by the gear ratio of the car itself.

BeastFromDaEast 04-18-2006 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by Jam-ehz
It'll be the motor doing that.. if you take the motor out, and it's still tight, then you have binding problems. Can you lightly press down on the belt and feel slack, or is it stretched tight across?

When the motor's out, try to turn the pinion by hand. They offer quite a bit of resistance from the strong magnets, and that's multiplied by the gear ratio of the car itself.

the belt is slack so it cant be that

BeastFromDaEast 04-18-2006 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by hobbipro
When the motor is not in the car, can you push it and make it roll easily? If not look at the belt tension, it should not be really tight, you should be able to move it a few millimeters when you lightly push on it. If the belts are OK then look at the bearings, they may need to be cleaned, oiled or even replaced. If all seems OK after that, take the motor and try to turn the shaft by hand, you should feel a "thump" from the magnets as you turn it, if its really hard to turn you will need to take it apart to see if its jammed with trash, or possibly a bad bearing.

It cant be the bearings because there brand new (so is the whole car) the motors new so it cant be full of trash, it could be bad bearing inside , il ask at my local hobby shop. thanx for advice tho

BeastFromDaEast 04-18-2006 09:24 AM

i moved the motor away from the gear and it moves v.smooth. Wats wrong with my motor ? how can i fix it ?

Edit: I just took out the motor and tryed to spin it with my fingers, The motor jumps and does not spin smothly, is that normal ?

Unregistered 04-18-2006 10:04 AM

Yes, that's normal. The magnets and armature in a brushed motor cause it to do that.

Andrew Swanson 04-18-2006 10:07 AM

the motor has natural "cogging" meaning the magnetic filed will make it kinda notchy feeling but it shouild be smooth and not hard to turn. If it is there might be something inside of it.

maybe a small screw or eclip when you were building it.

minicooper 04-18-2006 10:10 AM

How is your car geared? What size spur and pinion are you running. You might be running to low a gear for it to get going. Also want motor are you using?

BeastFromDaEast 04-18-2006 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Andrew Swanson
the motor has natural "cogging" meaning the magnetic filed will make it kinda notchy feeling but it shouild be smooth and not hard to turn. If it is there might be something inside of it.

maybe a small screw or eclip when you were building it.

I didnt build the motor :(

BeastFromDaEast 04-18-2006 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by minicooper
How is your car geared? What size spur and pinion are you running. You might be running to low a gear for it to get going. Also want motor are you using?

i dont know wat spur it is but i know the pinion is i think 22t. im using a 14T motor called peak racing ..something something something.
when im actually using it its smooth only when trying to pull of v.v.v.slow it makes the noise but does not move, thats normal tho. right ?

PitCrew 04-18-2006 11:02 AM

Normal.

RC motors will not turn infintesemly slow. They kinda have a minimum RPM to work at.

trf racer 04-18-2006 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by BeastFromDaEast
i dont know wat spur it is but i know the pinion is i think 22t. im using a 14T motor called peak racing ..something something something.
when im actually using it its smooth only when trying to pull of v.v.v.slow it makes the noise but does not move, thats normal tho. right ?

this noise is most likely the speedo,if u apply just a tad power,not enuff to move the vehicle u will hear a high frequancy noise,this is the speedo,they work off frequancy.

BeastFromDaEast 04-18-2006 11:24 AM

so pushing the throttle about 1mm forward u hear a high noice is normal ? yes ?
but is the turning it by hand normal , the way it jumps around like the magnets inside are holding it still then leting it go ect. , thats normal ?

trf racer 04-18-2006 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by BeastFromDaEast
so pushing the throttle about 1mm forward u hear a high noice is normal ? yes ?
but is the turning it by hand normal , the way it jumps around like the magnets inside are holding it still then leting it go ect. , thats normal ?

i cannot tell what 1mm does on ur radio.
if u push the throttle so the car takes up slack in the transiomission ie it goes to go but it cant,this is normal,bc the armature has to produce power to get over the cogging effect which is caused by the magnets this is normal.
motors perform best when they rev,running your car at low speeds will not tell you anything about how the car or motor are working,you could burn the motor out by doing this,what does the car/motor run like at high speeds.
what your trying to do is like trying to pull away from a standstill start in 4th gear,the motor cannot produce enuff power at little throttle.run your car normal speeds and se what it does.