Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Battery refrig / freezer

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 05:20 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Battery refrig / freezer

I am looking to reduce my cooldown times on batts. Both on when waiting for the charger and then after charger before using. I want my NiMh to be mostly roomtemp before either charging or using.

I have read that using a freezer can keep a charge but that is NOT what I am talking about here, interested in getting my cycles per day out of my Nimh packs.

I used to only use a pack once a day, but now that my fleet size has grown, I don't have enough packs to last as much as we want to run.

I was wondering does putting the batt in the refrig / freezer to cool it down hurt it in any way?
Old 05-22-2006, 05:36 PM
Tech Master

you shouldn't do that, because you will cool down the packs on their surface but not in the core, so you'll end up recharging batteries that aren't fully cooled down. Usually you can do 2 charges on a pack of NiMH per day provided you leave a good 2/3 hours before recharging.
Old 05-22-2006, 05:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

And you dont have to wait for them to cool down after charging, they actually prefer to be run while still warm.
Old 05-22-2006, 08:04 PM
Tech Elite

Yeah,

Artifical cooling is really bad.

If you want, you can run a fan on the packs after you use them. It may help them reach room temp sooner.

But don't use a fan while either charging or discharging. It is REALLY bad.
Old 05-22-2006, 08:19 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

sorry to threadjack, but what about storing packs for a long time (such as six plus months)? Are they better out in the "open" or would keeping them in the freezer have some magical effect on them?
Old 05-22-2006, 08:28 PM
Tech Elite

I have heard of people doing this with OK results.

But if you plan not to use the packs for that long, you would be better off selling them, and buying new ones when you plan to use your RC again.

By then, whatever you have now will be either out of date, or out of date and cheap.
Old 05-22-2006, 08:45 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PitCrew
Yeah,

If you want, you can run a fan on the packs after you use them. It may help them reach room temp sooner.

how can it harm the batteries while charging Nimh with a fan. I have been doing so.
Old 05-22-2006, 10:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

having a fan on them while charging or discharging doesn't let the cell follow it's natural curve. It can lead to false peaking and/or damage.
Old 05-22-2006, 10:21 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PitCrew
Yeah,

I've tried putting my IB3800's on a fan while charging and they accept near 1000 mah more (from 3236 to 4178) and the voltage is a lot higher. They seem to put out alot more punch as well. My 3700's do the same thing and after putting them on fans every charge for 6 months they still give out the same amount of punch they did when I first got them. Fans seem to work really good in my experience.
Drew.
Old 05-22-2006, 10:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Freezing a non rechargeable battery may extend its storage life.. My grandfather who was an electrician swore by it.. right or wrong thats what he did..

I have heard on a rechargeable that is exposed to high heat it is bad.. Moisture can form inside the cell.. Now in winter time i know some people leave there stuff in there veihicles and the cells are colder then a freezer.. Ive never really noticed any performance diff ..

I do know a few guys who use a heating blanket or pad and pre heat there packs before charging..
Old 05-23-2006, 12:27 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

But don't use a fan while either charging or discharging. It is REALLY bad
Putting a fan on your cells while charging changes the way the cells peak detect. You are likely to be overcharging your cells if you're putting them on a fan which charging.

I would like someone to explain to me why having a fan on your packs while DISCHARGING will damage the cells.

-Scott
Old 05-23-2006, 12:39 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I would like someone to explain to me why having a fan on your packs while DISCHARGING will damage the cells.
It won't.
Old 05-24-2006, 01:55 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Alfalfameister
It won't.
It will just increase the IR
Old 05-24-2006, 02:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Fan or No fan

It may depend on the ambient temperature...

If you live in Europe where you have lower temperatures , further cooling using a fan MAY hurt the cells. But here in the tropics, a fan certainly helps. Remember that the temperature at the core is alot higher than what you feel/measure at the cell wrapper.