R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-23-2002, 10:38 AM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)
Default Xray T1/evo2 carpet set-up

I have a xray and i bought it used!I believe it was a T1 to start and they bought the evo2 chassis!the car has the long rear shocks and the short fronts.It does not have the new c hub pillow ball suspension!I race on a high bite ozite carpet and its 40x80 ft,the car i ran for the first time and all it wanted to do is traction roll!I ran purple rears and red fronts,the shocks were in the inner holes fron and rear camber links long and in upper position!Just would like to see some other peoples set ups!!I woulds like as much info as possible!Thanks Al
37 RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2002, 06:32 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Go to myTSN.com

You will find several set-ups for both carpet and asphalt.
Neil Rabara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003, 10:32 PM   #3
Tech Rookie

Send a message via MSN to llindsey_us Send a message via Yahoo to llindsey_us

Hey Neil - any luck getting the scoop on high bite carpet setup to get rid of the traction roll? My guess is that I need to go to 70wt or 80wt oil. I've tried everything else. The car is good every where except during tight off-power turns, especially right handed turns, from high speeds. Let me know....
llindsey_us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003, 10:35 PM   #4
Tech Rookie

Send a message via AIM to Danno Send a message via Yahoo to Danno

I don't have any experience in carpet, but i would think heavier springs, like I said though, I've never raced carpet.
Danno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003, 10:38 PM   #5
Tech Rookie

Send a message via MSN to llindsey_us Send a message via Yahoo to llindsey_us

Done that, and more: tried up to red springs in front; droop to 7 and 5mm; shocks leaned in and out; no sauce in front; dual rate down to 60%, etc. The car only traction rolls at Stockton RC where the carpet is ultra high traction. The car is fine @ Hobby World where the carpet is med traction. If the heavier oil doesn't do it, I'm lost!!
llindsey_us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003, 11:22 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by llindsey_us
Hey Neil - any luck getting the scoop on high bite carpet setup to get rid of the traction roll? My guess is that I need to go to 70wt or 80wt oil. I've tried everything else. The car is good every where except during tight off-power turns, especially right handed turns, from high speeds. Let me know....
Hey Lawrence

No not yet. Ever since Ralph moved to Texas, I've lost contact. If you go to the "Talkin with Josh Cyrul" thread, and post your question directly to him, you'll probably have better luck.
Neil Rabara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003, 11:29 PM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Hi,

please post your setup with everything. try running 3mm ride height.
heavier oil and your stiffest springs. also look up Alex Lopez's setup posted in the Xray thread. he ran this setup at Cleveland this year where the traction was super high....... I know we traction rolled on our 1st practice round and the bite went up from there.

Good Luck

Thanks
Life is short - live it! Your only old when your dreams are replaced by regrets.
TimXLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 06:08 AM   #8
Tech Addict

Default Droop Setting

If you are using blocks to set droop - it's probably wrong. The droop will change as ride hight changes with tire wear.

As others have said, you'll need to stiffen up the damping to 60+ and run purple to red springs. You may also need to change your roll center to a more angled / shorter link setting.

I use this method; works very well.

1. settle the chassis at race trim on a flat board.
2. measure and adjust ride height
3. hold down the wheels with your thumb and pinky
4. lift the chassis with your index finger on the shock tower
5. measure the ride height

The difference between the settled ride height and the raised ride height is your droop.

This is a *very* sensitive setting, 1/8 turn will change it by 1/2 mm - that is a LOT of droop change!

I run 1.2mm front and 1.7mm rear - and will change them to suit different traction and layouts.

Last edited by sands; 12-15-2003 at 06:17 AM.
sands is offline   Reply With Quote