Like Tree223Likes

Tamiya TB Evo 8

Old 02-01-2023, 12:22 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by zuqbu
Forget what I said, I had another couple of runs yesterday and it started traction rolling again. The sway bar helped a bit (and yes, I think the kit standard is 1.1mm) but I guess it was more the freshly applied side wall glue than anything else. As I progressed through the day the problem returned. I remember what you said and I changed the front suspension inserts (or rather switched the N2 around to go from D to F) and that made it better – although in my last run it started rolling again (much less this time though) but that could be the side walls requiring some glue again. Other than that the car feels amazing and I could improve on my best lap.
Brill, at least that's progress then. I havent rolled once since I went to f blocks at the front, but our carpet is inly medoum grip. But it's still got so much steering, I'm running around 20% less servo travel than I did with my 419xr and still have more steering.

You could try changing the droop a touch, maybe 6 front and 5 rear, appose to the usual 5.5 front 4.5 rear
Old 02-01-2023, 08:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Robbob
No - they all have their own unique spin on things.
One could say its a clone of a TC3 and the veteran racers could go as far to even say the TC3 was a clone on the Tenth Technology lol.
Similar but not the same kind of thing.
Tenth Technology.... that's going back a ways!
Old 02-02-2023, 11:12 AM
Tech Regular

I'm tempted to rebuild mine in the rear motor config, I think that might take away some of the front end bite as itl be a bit more rear balanced
Old 02-02-2023, 11:50 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by hipwell
You could try changing the droop a touch, maybe 6 front and 5 rear, appose to the usual 5.5 front 4.5 rear
I am currently running 5.4 in front and 4.8 in rear. But shouldn't less weight transfer be more favorable in this case?

Originally Posted by hipwell
I'm tempted to rebuild mine in the rear motor config, I think that might take away some of the front end bite as itl be a bit more rear balanced
I wanted to try that out sometime as well. I just spent so much time on the electronics layout and soldering that I feel committed to the front motor config. If you do end up switching things around please report back
Old 02-03-2023, 10:27 AM
Tech Regular

I am currently running 5.4 in front and 4.8 in rear. But shouldn't less weight transfer be more favorable in this case?

I wanted to try that out sometime as well. I just spent so much time on the electronics layout and soldering that I feel committed to the front motor config. If you do end up switching things around please report back
I might give it a go, I'm not racing until next Friday now.

The electrics shouldn't be a problem as the layout will still be almost identical just on the other side and the motor at the rear. Only issue might be if your power leads arent long enough
Old 02-03-2023, 10:59 AM
Tech Adept

I couldn’t help myself, I am converting it right now, and will try to be on track tomorrow
Old 02-04-2023, 02:40 PM
Tech Regular

I couldn’t help myself, I am converting it right now, and will try to be on track tomorrow
let me know how you get on, I'm considering it.
Old 02-05-2023, 02:36 AM
Tech Adept

I tried the rear motor layout for the first time yesterday, and if you're trying to eliminate traction rolling with it – don't Same issue. The only thing that solved it for me is applying glue not only on the tire walls but also on the tread (1–2 mm). The car drives equally fast though, and the rear motor layout is a bit lighter (~15g).

Nicadrauspro4 likes this.
Old 02-05-2023, 05:46 AM
Tech Regular

Brill, sounds good then.

Did it remove any of the steering at all?

Why is it lighter? Because theirs only 1 prop shaft?
Old 02-06-2023, 03:37 AM
Tech Adept

No, I didn't notice any removal of steering. I also played around with droop settings but that was making things worse.
It is lighter because the single prop shaft equals less parts, and the spur gear is more or less directly connected to the rear input shaft (which is smaller as well) removing the need for a center cup (these are out of steel and comparatively heavy).
Old 02-08-2023, 07:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Nice wiring. Looking at it (looks good) I am thinking an aluminum chassis is needed at minimum if running on carpet. Also wondering about the width of wheelbase. Raise the roll center under the suspension as well?

I tried the rear motor layout for the first time yesterday, and if you're trying to eliminate traction rolling with it – don't Same issue. The only thing that solved it for me is applying glue not only on the tire walls but also on the tread (1–2 mm). The car drives equally fast though, and the rear motor layout is a bit lighter (~15g).

Old 02-08-2023, 08:12 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 110 (100%+)

I originally built my EVO 8 up in rear motor configuration, but the torsional flex was extreme (close to my TA08). So I built it with the front motor configuration and that took away a pretty decent amount of that flex. I agree it still needs an aluminum chassis for carpet, but it's still decent even with the flex.
zleader_99 and V8 Rumble like this.
Old 02-08-2023, 02:49 PM
Tech Regular

I've just been checking the setup on my evo compared to on my 419xr and the evo stock setup has got crazy amounts of ackerman.

I'm going to adjust this by a mm or so and see if it tames the steering down.
Old 02-18-2023, 12:13 PM
Tech Regular

Had a good run last night, added the front roll bar from my 419 which was thicker, I think 1.3mm, car didn't roll once. Xray 2.6 on the rear and 2.5 -2.8 on the front. Car felt amazing, untill the final and then the internal gears in the diff stripped

Got some metal gears on order now.
zleader_99 and zuqbu like this.
Old 03-02-2023, 12:02 PM
Tech Regular

How tight are people doing the nuts on the top deck at the bulkhead end?

Should the top decks be able to fall under their own weight to avoid tweak?

Or be mega tight?

Ive noticed even after a slight knock im having to loosen the top decks on the spur gear mount to relief tweak, but think if the decks alwere a tad looser on the ends, it wouldnt tweak it, but would cause more front to rear flex, and its got plenty of that

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.