Like Tree223Likes

Tamiya TB Evo 8

Old 01-17-2023, 06:23 AM
Tech Adept

I had my first race meeting with the TB EVO 8 last Sunday and have spent a couple of days prior on the track to work on the car. Keep in mind that I am a newbie and have nothing really to compare my experience to, in fact, this was just the second race I ever did!

Firstly, no matter if it fast or not, the car will get you looks, and people coming up and asking what chassis that is or flat out admiring it. It is a beautiful kit (also the primary reason I purchased it).

Second, I still suffered with traction rolling the whole weekend. As posted earlier I modded the upper deck to at least limit the longitudinal flex, and I also glued not only my front tire walls but a little bit of the running surface as well. The track is a high traction indoor carpet, and it has a tricky combination of curves on the inside that made my front lift every time I attacked them hard. On the front, the TB EVO 8 uses the TA08 stabilizers (item 22003) but don't bother purchasing that, as the one in the kit is already the harder option, in the hop-up is only a super-soft option as an alternative. However after the weekend as I cleaned the car and prepared it again I fitted in the the 42281 sway bars, it seems like they work as well. I will try going from 1.1mm to 1.3mm in the front, and report back again. Honestly, the amount of traction this car can generate makes me looking forward to the outdoor season!

The race went well, I had a total of 2 crashes in three preliminaries and three races, none of them mayor and none of them resulted in any damage – so the car seems solid. As I said I am still new to the hobby and my primary objective was to learn on that weekend, the secondary objective was not to break anything, and finally it would be nice not to finish last. After preliminaries I was placed in the C Finals (as expected, really) and in the first one I was at one time on course to finish second but made a couple of mistakes to finish last. The second was better, and I finished third. For the last Final the two top runners decided to just have fun and let all the other past (as they finished first and second in both previous finals and could not be challenged anymore) – resulting in me suddenly competing for a win. My legs were shaking but my fingers were calm enough to make it almost mistake-free to the end, resulting in a first place in the race, and a third place in the C final group overall.

Overall I am very happy with the car. As I progress as a driver, I think there's still a lot of potential in the chassis and I hope to improve for my next race!

Old 01-17-2023, 07:06 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by zuqbu

Is your car L/R balanced?
Old 01-17-2023, 08:29 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by mr.rev
Is your car L/R balanced?
The honest answer is: I don't know. A corner weight scale is on my shopping list.

However the car feels balanced – the battery (and transponder) is a bit lighter than the electric components on the left side, but it is reaching far more outward to compensate for it. Here's a picture from above:

mr.rev likes this.
Old 01-17-2023, 12:10 PM
Won
Tech Rookie

That's a thing of beauty!
hotdognobun and zuqbu like this.
Old 01-17-2023, 02:11 PM
Tech Regular

Good wright up mate.

Ill add to it, as quite an experienced driver, I too suffered with grip roll going to the evo 8 from my 419xr.

The first thing I'll say is that the kit setup front end is way too narrow, the kit suggests starting with the suspension mounts in the D setting, which is extremely narrow and will generate lots of grip.
I moved mine out 1 notch to the E position (middle on the adjustable blocks) and this instantly almost got rid of all my grip roll. Our carpet is medium grip, and nobody ever traction rolls on it apart from me and my evo 8 lol.

Next time out, I will be going even wider and running them in F position (1 notch out from the middle) and I'm hoping that this will eliminate the traction rolling. I think this will require going to the 44mm drive shafts though, as the kit 42mm ones might pop out of the out drives if you go this wide.

I agree though, I recon outdoor it will be a monster with the grip it can produce.

Qatmix and zuqbu like this.
Old 01-17-2023, 04:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I am hoping to run mine outdoors this weekend coming so hearing how much front grip it has is encouraging
Old 01-20-2023, 02:33 PM
Tech Regular

Brilliant tonight, ran the front end with f block width, was like a new car no signs of grip roll.

Also, ran with a 3d printed bridge piece to remove the flex around the spur gear.

So much better. I think it might want some slightly thicker roll bars.

Rick Vessell, zuqbu and Won like this.
Old 01-26-2023, 08:50 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

just curious, when you go front motor setup, do you have to go shorty battery?
Old 01-26-2023, 09:05 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 110 (100%+)

No, you can run a full pack, but it makes the car pretty heavy. If you aren't worried about the weight or if you have like a 5-6000mah pack it should be fine.
Old 01-26-2023, 09:14 AM
Tech Regular

I only went shorty as it was 100g lighter than my full size pack, and over a 5 minute race is fine
Old 01-31-2023, 01:02 AM
Tech Adept

Got the front end sorted now with the 42281 sway bars (using the 1.3mm yellow) – In the rear I am using the kit sway bars. Did anyone try adjusting the steering geometry? I am playing around with different spacers now to get the car responding a bit more linear.
Old 01-31-2023, 06:08 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dan
$850 TB Evo 8 versus $500 Xpress AT1.
is the AT1 a tamiya clone?
Old 01-31-2023, 09:21 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Geo_ologist
is the AT1 a tamiya clone?
No - they all have their own unique spin on things.
One could say its a clone of a TC3 and the veteran racers could go as far to even say the TC3 was a clone on the Tenth Technology lol.
Similar but not the same kind of thing.
gigaplex likes this.
Old 01-31-2023, 09:47 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by zuqbu
Got the front end sorted now with the 42281 sway bars (using the 1.3mm yellow) In the rear I am using the kit sway bars. Did anyone try adjusting the steering geometry? I am playing around with different spacers now to get the car responding a bit more linear.
When you say the front end sorted, what difference has it made? I was thinking the kit roll bar is a bit thin tbh, osot 1.1?
Old 01-31-2023, 11:42 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by hipwell
When you say the front end sorted, what difference has it made? I was thinking the kit roll bar is a bit thin tbh, osot 1.1?
Forget what I said, I had another couple of runs yesterday and it started traction rolling again. The sway bar helped a bit (and yes, I think the kit standard is 1.1mm) but I guess it was more the freshly applied side wall glue than anything else. As I progressed through the day the problem returned. I remember what you said and I changed the front suspension inserts (or rather switched the N2 around to go from D to F) and that made it better although in my last run it started rolling again (much less this time though) but that could be the side walls requiring some glue again. Other than that the car feels amazing and I could improve on my best lap.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.