Like Tree222Likes

Tamiya TB Evo 8

Old 04-26-2024, 06:35 AM
Tech Adept

Exactly, all Tamiya items with a leading 42xxx are limited editions. So they are not technically discontinued, they only ever produced a certain amount of kits which are in the case of the TB EVO 8 now sold out.
jay272272 likes this.
Old 04-29-2024, 08:37 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I was able to get in about 80 practice laps yesterday in preparation for the upcoming TCS race at The Lap Factory here in San Diego. Lowering the front roll center really helped calm down the steering. The car is setup for TCS GT1, so Ride USGT treaded tires, Reedy 13.5 FT and a heavy Tamiya ARTA NSX body. For TC, i'd expect to run a little more camber or more camber gain. I may experiment with going lower on the rear toe, but i've been finding with shaft drive cars i need to run at least 2.5 to keep the rear in check accelerating out of corners. Maybe i just need to be easier on the throttle or tweaking the ESC setings a little.

TLF is on a sealed asphalt track prepped with root beer and maple syrup. Weather was great, sunny and about mid 70's, grip was medium. We ran a replica of the old Tamiya track layout in Aliso Viejo also .

The TCS race is in 3 weeks, i'd be happy to just make the A-Main. Lots of very fast locals that regularly run TCS, so i know the field is going to be very competitive. Ill be running all shaft drive cars with a TB05R in GT2 also.

Rick Vessell and Eotz like this.
Old 04-30-2024, 04:15 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Anyone know where I can purchase a new one?
Old 04-30-2024, 10:12 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by jessele
think their all gone now, it was a limited batch. Last one I saw was in germany
Old 04-30-2024, 04:51 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by jessele
There is one on eBay right now. Pretty sure its a proxy bid for Yahoo Auctions Japan.
Old 05-07-2024, 10:10 AM
Tech Master

anyone have a medium grip asphalt setting to start with ,
instinctivly , I went out with
2" front and rear camber
3" rear toe in
1mm under the front upper arm links
.5 mm under the rear upper arm links
1" front toe out for steering
Used the home made center brace over the spur gear
425 cst oil x all 4 corners
green springs x 4
21.5 motor geared at 3.5 ratio
i was able to get within .1 sec of locals hot lap , but during qualifiers i stripped the front pinion on the gear shaft drive ( i took out the spacer to make it smoother on the bench and didnt re measure the gap after break in = my error
)
Old 05-07-2024, 07:04 PM
Tech Adept

Try the setup i posted. Its for USGT tires, the only thing i would probably change is going to 1.5deg camber all around.
Old 05-12-2024, 06:55 PM
Tech Master

Around the set up above I decrease the front camber to 1 1/2 it was an open tire event so there is a little bit of difference on different spots of the track but I ended up 1/10 of a second faster than my target rival and 1/10 of a second slower than TQ overall felt pretty balanced and pretty stable
dawgmeat likes this.
Old 05-20-2024, 09:53 PM
Tech Adept

Had a great time at the TCS race yesterday. After a few minor tweaks it was working great for the main. I think i had the pace for the 3rd spot, but had a very close call on the warm up laps before the main and just lightly side swiped a car that was stopped on the straight. I was full speed on the straight and didn't see the car stopped, so it was by pure chance both cars didn't get destroyed. During the main, the car was a bit loose on the high speed sweeper and it took me about 3 laps to adjust my driving to get it right. I noticed later i broke the front right wheel when i clipped the other car! All those mistakes added up and i finished just under 2 seconds behind 3rd.

The only big change i made since practice was going to the Tamiya black springs up front to be TCS legal. I laid the front shocks down more to take some of the edge off the steering and also reduced rear toe to 2deg to help with more rotation. I ran the ARTA NSX again with race weight at 1425g. Min weight for the class was 1375g. The lightest i can get the car would have been 1400g with the Raikiri GT light weight. Decided to stick with the NSX cause it just looks cooler .

The Tamiya guys running tech really liked the car! Something i noticed yesterday is the car got that same feeling of turning in too much when going through the chicane with a lot of steering input. If i got the line right i could get through with barely any steering. But if you were off line and needed to do a quick left/right/left correction i could really feel the car get unsettled. I figure that is just due to the amount of chassis flex.

Q1 was a Tamiya sponsored driver in the new 421! Q2 and Q3 were fast SoCal drivers, one of which was using a 419x. I was happy not to get lapped by the 421 .

zuqbu likes this.

Last edited by Techno Duck; 05-20-2024 at 10:03 PM.
Old 06-04-2024, 06:23 PM
Tech Adept

I ran the Evo8 in GT1 for another TCS race at Revelation Raceway. The track was challenging, the asphalt is very bumpy and the asphalt is very abrasive. I chased the setup all day, the rear was very loose on power and by the main i had basically reverted back to my original setup. I managed to finish 3rd, but i was .3-5sec off on the fast lap against one of the same drivers. Some of that can be attributed to driving more conservative than usual due to how unforgiving the track was. I don't think i am ever going to be super fast with this car because preservation is always in the back of my mind .

With that said, i clipped one of the huge plow discs in the chicane and the car caught some decent air and rolled quite a few times. I checked the setup between rounds and to my surprise it was still spot on.

Also i highly recommend replacing the stock plastic diff gears with metal ones. My TB05 lasted about 9 races before the rear diff gears completely stripped out. I checked the Evo8 which has about 6 runs, and the oil was starting to turn dark grey like what was left in the TB05 diff. Tamiya 54540 is what you want.

Old 06-05-2024, 11:10 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Techno Duck
I ran the Evo8 in GT1 for another TCS race at Revelation Raceway. The track was challenging, the asphalt is very bumpy and the asphalt is very abrasive. I chased the setup all day, the rear was very loose on power and by the main i had basically reverted back to my original setup. I managed to finish 3rd, but i was .3-5sec off on the fast lap against one of the same drivers. Some of that can be attributed to driving more conservative than usual due to how unforgiving the track was. I don't think i am ever going to be super fast with this car because preservation is always in the back of my mind .

With that said, i clipped one of the huge plow discs in the chicane and the car caught some decent air and rolled quite a few times. I checked the setup between rounds and to my surprise it was still spot on.

Also i highly recommend replacing the stock plastic diff gears with metal ones. My TB05 lasted about 9 races before the rear diff gears completely stripped out. I checked the Evo8 which has about 6 runs, and the oil was starting to turn dark grey like what was left in the TB05 diff. Tamiya 54540 is what you want.

good shout. My plastic gears lasted about 3 weeks. Metal ones have been in over a year now no problems