Like Tree203Likes

Tamiya TB Evo 8

Old 12-05-2023, 04:24 PM
Tech Rookie

So used the Evo 8 again tonight but this time with my full size lipos (intellect 6000mah @~270g) and really did transform the car. I also went to 1 degree front camber 2 degree rear and 1.5 degree toe out to try and calm the initial steering a little which worked a treat. put it on pole in the B final out qualifying guys that are usually half a lap Infront of me in Mugens and X-rays.

Kind of fell apart in the final as I got divebombed and clipped an apex and ended up on my roof next to a sleeping marshall and ended up a lap down. but made my way back up into 4th.

I think if I put my x factor in this rather than my zombie I might have scraped the a final as I was slow on the straights and the extra 250+kv that has would have made the difference.

Not sure if I will continue with it next week or go back to my 420x as I think that is a little more consistent I find the tb snaps on you a little like you hit the limit of flex and it springs back or something. but definitely a quick car if you can be consistent
Old 12-06-2023, 11:51 AM
Tech Regular

Yeh mines getting better every week and I'll continue to use it until a 421 is announced.

I've just ordered some shorter ball studs for the rear to see if i can experiment with a little bit of toe gain.

But it is a heavy car and I feel ill be faster with a better car now, but I regularly stick this in the A final with some pretty good competition.

I'll be going back belt driven though, although the shaft drive is mega efficient, I don't feel it gives any benefit over the belt guys running 17.5 which I thought it would do to be honest.

Maybe it would shine more in the slower classes like 21.5
Old 12-16-2023, 01:47 AM
Tech Regular

I ran mine 17.5 boosted last night and it was amazing. Finished 3rd in the A and it was so much more fun than blinky. It really annoys me how they've ruined it with blinky racing.
Qatmix likes this.
Old 01-18-2024, 09:01 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

anyone have horizontal top deck options for the Evo 8 ?
i have 4 420x cars, i need to sell 2 of them,
i have the new ta08R and it was better than i thought it would be,
i want tto nake an evo 8 FWD
Old 01-18-2024, 12:12 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Casey
anyone have horizontal top deck options for the Evo 8 ?
i have 4 420x cars, i need to sell 2 of them,
i have the new ta08R and it was better than i thought it would be,
i want tto nake an evo 8 FWD
not seen any unfortunately.

Still loving my evo 8 tbh, regularly finish in the A finals with it now its setup not to grip roll on carpet lol.
Old 01-20-2024, 12:48 PM
Tech Regular

Trying to dial mine in again now without bringing the grip roll back to gain some corner speed. Raised the rear shocks up 1 notch, to the second hole down from the top, and gained 2 10ths per lap consistently.

Next thing to try is reducing the shimming required on the inner upper arm links, but im worried about bringing back the grip roll.

It's still a beast, beats my mate mates 420 every week and we are similar drivers.

Also, while I've been running boost, I thought I'd give the carbon reinforced gears a try. After 4 runs last night, they look to have worn already after perfeclty shimming them, so i can't really reccomend using them.
BigKOV likes this.
Old 02-13-2024, 10:31 PM
Tech Adept

Trying something new for 21.5tc this year. I have a few plastic chassis Tamiya cars that were all nice builds, but this was my first high end Tamiya. I totally get the appeal now .

I run on outdoor asphalt, looking forward to getting this car figured out over the next few races.

Thanks to Zubqu for the chassis brace file, a local friend cut one out of carbon for me.

zuqbu and BigKOV like this.
Old 02-15-2024, 02:13 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Techno Duck
Trying something new for 21.5tc this year. I have a few plastic chassis Tamiya cars that were all nice builds, but this was my first high end Tamiya. I totally get the appeal now .

I run on outdoor asphalt, looking forward to getting this car figured out over the next few races.

Thanks to Zubqu for the chassis brace file, a local friend cut one out of carbon for me.

Good luck. Its a great car - setup is challenging though, changes don't really seem to affect it like you'd expect

One thing though, I've done back to back testing with and without the centre brace as pictured, and was consistently faster without it.
Old 02-20-2024, 07:07 AM
Tech Master

i have my evo 8 converted to FWD only, and it is now in the hands of Fabtec , where he is drawing up a top deck system that will decrease the chassis flex, and also tuning of flex.. excited to get some photos shared int he next couple weeks
Rick Vessell and titanmaru like this.
Old 02-20-2024, 09:31 PM
Tech Adept

I managed to keep it off its lid and no crashes, so the first race was a success .I ran 3 classes, 2 of which were new cars. So it was a busy day with a lot of setup changes when i wasn't driving or marshaling. Grip i would say was medium at best as the sun didn't come out until noon. On a hot summer day, grip is easily medium high.

Initial impressions are that the car is pretty easy to drive, but i think the kit setup on asphalt leaves a lot to be desired. By the end of the day, i estimate i am about .4 off/lap where i would be with my MTC2. My first practice runs i spent getting the droop dialed in. This is the first experience i had with the TA08 style arms, so the 'reverse gullwing' arm in the front kinda threw me off. I was running way too much droop (like sub 4mm). I was mostly focused on getting my TB04R setup, so next race i plan to dive into the Evo8 more.

The car really seemed to lock up in the corners in Q1, i believe this may have been the wheels rubbing on the upper arm mount on the hub. I was running Solaris 36's, not sure what offset these wheels are but same issue with Volante V9. USGT / Ride wheels no issue. Rather than add a wheel spacer or change the hex, i removed .5mm from the upper arm mount front and rear.
After i got home, I did not realize this kit comes with 4.5mm hexes...so i put on 5mm to same me the grief next time .
I did some experimenting and found the kit setup with the 2mm shim on the upper hub mount does not have much camber gain. Again, more learning curve for me with the TA08 style suspension.

Q2 the rear was quite loose on power making it difficult to really push the car. I made some more minor changes going into the main but still had a loose rear. Moving forward, i plan to go with a stiffer front spring. I had this same shock / spring package on my TB05R and i ended up going like 5 rates stiffer. I believe the green springs are around C2.0, so my initial thought was to try a C2.5 in the front and slightly stiffer in the rear. But with how much flex this chassis has, i think i may start lower. There are not many options for a C2.3 spring, so ill probably try the Axon progressive (2.35-2.65) up front. I'll also go down to either 30wt or 32.5wt for the shocks.

Regarding droop, i finished the day at 5.4/4.1 measured at the lower arm. I plan to try around 6/4.6 as a starting point next time. Again, the curve of the front arm threw me off .

Here is where i ended up at the end of the day. This is just the baseline for me, the setup needs a lot of work still. And if anyone is interested i scanned a higher resolution version of the setup sheet. The one from the PDF manual available on the Tamiya page is really poor quality.

hipwell likes this.

Last edited by Techno Duck; 02-20-2024 at 09:42 PM.
Old Yesterday, 11:28 AM
Tech Master

Prototype top deck
V8 Rumble and Eotz like this.
Old Yesterday, 12:42 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

That looks excellent!
Old Yesterday, 04:05 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Casey
Prototype top deck
Good design, but it still doesn't eliminate the issue of the flex around the spur gear.

Would look pretty cool in carbon too.
Old Today, 12:53 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hipwell
Good design, but it still doesn't eliminate the issue of the flex around the spur gear.

Would look pretty cool in carbon too.
Is the bulkhead holding the spur gear a single piece of aluminum or two separate pieces?

Either way, using some small standoff spacers on top of those screw holes would let you mount a little bridge above the spur gear to tie the upper deck into a single piece.
Old Today, 07:31 AM
Tech Master

this is to show the 3d print mock up , the hoop would still go back on, , we are cutting the CF this week