Like Tree200Likes

Tamiya TB Evo 8

Old 11-11-2023, 09:37 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by BigKOV
On the 420x a lot of guys put a 2mm shim under the bulkhead with a 5x8mm ball stud which gives a lot more range, I got that tip from Dai Sakaguchi.

I've just picked up a 'used' Evo 8 and I'm in the process of rebuilding (cleaning off the gratuitous amount of threadlock gel and ceramic grease plastered everywhere but where it should be!) so your setup tips on here will be very useful. Any chance you could ping me a setup sheet? I'll be running mine at Stoke and Crewe mostly.

We also have a TRF/Tamiya UK Racers Facebook chat group with the like of Andy Travis & Craig Howard (The RC Racer) dm me your Facebook profile and I'll add you
I'm in that group, craig kweps badgering me to join FB but i use the wifes lol.

In a nutshell. Basic setup here, battery is a massive help, as due to the longitudinally mounted motor all the weight is still battery side, so you need a light lipo. I was running shorts, but the orca 6090 full length has transformed the car.

So.

240g battery orca 6090
Surpass 17.5
4.4 fdr

xray 2.6 rear
Xray 2.5 - 2.8 front
2nd hole up all round on shocks
400cst core rc

Volante 28s

Front end set to F block setting width 1 notch below the centre height.
rear blocks set to same height, E block width on the RR, D block width on the RF (set to 3 degrees toe in in the tie rods)

Kit wheel base shim settings
No ackerman shims
0.5mm bump steer shim

1mm shim under the front upper inner camber links

Kit shims on outer camber links

5000 diff oil (steer gears and ally diff housing, stock gears lasted about 3 weeks)

6 front Droop
4.5 rear

419 steel outdrives with no blades on the driveshafts

Ill try and get it on a sheet tomorow, but that should get you going.

I race a sheffield and Doncaster if you ever fancy a drive out.

Rick Vessell and BigKOV like this.
Old 11-13-2023, 02:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Is anyone else finding their Evo 8 to be really sensitive to ride height changes running on asphalt? I've only been able to run mine 4 times this year since I got it but I'm really struggling run to run with how much the car balance seems to change - like literally a 0.2mm change will have the car go from setting fastest lap in one heat to being almost undriveable in the next. Been doing this for nearly 30 years so I've checked all the obvious stuff. Due to my current circumstances I don't have much opportunity to do lots of back to back testing - its literally turn up and get into it
Old 11-14-2023, 12:42 AM
Tech Regular

On the 420x a lot of guys put a 2mm shim under the bulkhead with a 5x8mm ball stud which gives a lot more range, I got that tip from Dai Sakaguchi.

I've just picked up a 'used' Evo 8 and I'm in the process of rebuilding (cleaning off the gratuitous amount of threadlock gel and ceramic grease plastered everywhere but where it should be!) so your setup tips on here will be very useful. Any chance you could ping me a setup sheet? I'll be running mine at Stoke and Crewe mostly.

We also have a TRF/Tamiya UK Racers Facebook chat group with the like of Andy Travis & Craig Howard (The RC Racer) dm me your Facebook profile and I'll add you
Originally Posted by ShadowAu
Is anyone else finding their Evo 8 to be really sensitive to ride height changes running on asphalt? I've only been able to run mine 4 times this year since I got it but I'm really struggling run to run with how much the car balance seems to change - like literally a 0.2mm change will have the car go from setting fastest lap in one heat to being almost undriveable in the next. Been doing this for nearly 30 years so I've checked all the obvious stuff. Due to my current circumstances I don't have much opportunity to do lots of back to back testing - its literally turn up and get into it
What's the rest of your setup like? Can't say as I ever really notice much difference with ride height but I generally don't change it,5 front 5.3 on the rear is what I usually aim for but it is quite difficult to get it bang on
Old 11-14-2023, 04:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hipwell
What's the rest of your setup like? Can't say as I ever really notice much difference with ride height but I generally don't change it,5 front 5.3 on the rear is what I usually aim for but it is quite difficult to get it bang on
Its still pretty close to kit for most settings - 3k oil in the diff, ride height is aimed to be 5.5F and 6R due to the bumpiness of the tracks I run on; 1mm spacers on each front hex. I don't remember the droop settings off hand but they should be something suitable
Old 11-23-2023, 08:30 AM
Tech Initiate

Just finished putting mines together and then this happened . I took extra care to only lightly tighten these screws so I don't get it. Luckily found a place that has these in stock but 15 euros for a tiny piece of Lexan is ridiculous. Anyone else here have issue with the gear covers or tips so I don't wreck the new ones? Wish they would have thought of a more robust material here like Delrin especially since it's near a maintenance area.

Old 11-23-2023, 12:20 PM
Tech Regular

I only use 1 screw, the one at the end just for ease of maintenance, and I only nip them so they are just snug.
Old 11-23-2023, 12:26 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by hipwell
I only use 1 screw, the one at the end just for ease of maintenance, and I only nip them so they are just snug.
I'll give the next one a try with only one screw. Really wish they had some normal type of cover especially to ensure the gears don't get contaminated. Either way the car looks amazing, can't wait to get some electronics in it and hit the track.
Old 11-25-2023, 12:26 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Captain Howdy
I'll give the next one a try with only one screw. Really wish they had some normal type of cover especially to ensure the gears don't get contaminated. Either way the car looks amazing, can't wait to get some electronics in it and hit the track.
Yeh don't worry too much about it, 1 screw is fine, dont do it too tight, just nip it.

Youl love it, i had one of my best nights with mine last night, absolutely flying, finished about half a lap behind my main rival who races virtually every night of the week with a mugen mtc2r.

It still amazes me how well my evo 8 performs, the suspension is wierd as hell. But I feel I've maxed it out now and I need to get a more modern design to improve any further
BigKOV likes this.
Old 11-25-2023, 01:08 PM
Tech Regular

Yeh don't worry too much about it, 1 screw is fine, dont do it too tight, just nip it.

Youl love it, i had one of my best nights with mine last night, absolutely flying, finished about half a lap behind my main rival who races virtually every night of the week with a mugen mtc2r.

It still amazes me how well my evo 8 performs, the suspension is wierd as hell. But I feel I've maxed it out now and I need to get a more modern design to improve any further
Old 11-26-2023, 09:43 AM
Tech Rookie

Bonjour ,

je suis Joss et vient de France
Je roule avec l’évo 8 depuis 6 mois
moteur 13,5 g4 , esc xr 10 160a
srt 8015 pour la direction
et accus stick LRP 6100

je roule en moteur arrière car ca me rappelle le tt01 et tt02 SR qui on toujours était efficace
le diff arrière c’est rapidement transformé en chewing-gum d’où le changement pour le diff alu engrenage acier .

je suis content d’avoir trouvé ce foum avec des pilotes d’evo 8 . Un châssis qui n’a franchement pas à rougir face au voiture a la mode xray awesso etc ….
Old 12-04-2023, 03:56 AM
Tech Apprentice

Just finished putting mines together and then this happened . I took extra care to only lightly tighten these screws so I don't get it. Luckily found a place that has these in stock but 15 euros for a tiny piece of Lexan is ridiculous. Anyone else here have issue with the gear covers or tips so I don't wreck the new ones? Wish they would have thought of a more robust material here like Delrin especially since it's near a maintenance area.

I also have had this happen to me. Some of these less common parts are super expensive and together with the difficulty in setting up the seemingly narrow working window of this chassis I have made the difficult decision of retiring my evo8 and move onto something different. So far I like my MTC2r. I cannot say I am any quicker on the ultimate lap but it certainly feels more consistent.
JSHuiting likes this.
Old 12-04-2023, 04:30 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by 200sxr
I also have had this happen to me. Some of these less common parts are super expensive and together with the difficulty in setting up the seemingly narrow working window of this chassis I have made the difficult decision of retiring my evo8 and move onto something different. So far I like my MTC2r. I cannot say I am any quicker on the ultimate lap but it certainly feels more consistent.
Make a plaster mold of the part and try to replicate it with a soda bottle and a heat gun.
Old 12-04-2023, 11:35 AM
Tech Rookie

What camber are you using? I was on 1.5 all round and was grip rolling by the 3rd heat...

So I switched back to my 420x for the final and took a few laps to get used to the steering again. but was 3-4 tenths faster a lap (14 - 15 second laps)

I'm thinking 1 degree all round might help
Old 12-04-2023, 12:40 PM
Tech Regular

What camber are you using? I was on 1.5 all round and was grip rolling by the 3rd heat...

So I switched back to my 420x for the final and took a few laps to get used to the steering again. but was 3-4 tenths faster a lap (14 - 15 second laps)

I'm thinking 1 degree all round might help
i run 1.5 front and 2 rear and havent grip rolled for ages since i went to 6 droop on the front and 1mm shims under the upper inner camber links at the front.

Also laying the shocks in contributed, I run 2nd hole up all round
BigKOV likes this.

Last edited by hipwell; 12-04-2023 at 12:51 PM.
Old 12-05-2023, 06:14 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by 200sxr
Same here, i loved the idea of a axle driven TC from Tamiya, but the quality is really lacking.

That and it's heavy, i can't believe how big the bulkheads are compared to a A700, truly overkill

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.