Like Tree207Likes

Tamiya TB Evo 8

Old 09-04-2023, 01:40 PM
Tech Regular

Well my first night of 17.5 didn't quite goto plan, I just couldn't get used to having no power, I need to really change my style, on 13.5 i like to brake into corners, cant do that with 17.5 you just loose too much speed with no power to get back out.
Old 09-08-2023, 06:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hipwell
Evening mate. Just got back from indoor racing myself and had a much better night, back in front motor config.

Grip rolling is back now it's warmer inside and the grip is up, I've tried eveerything, High roll centres, low roll centres, loads of droop, not much droop, stiffening brace for the top deck, I just don't understand it either.

But, it's still rapid, i came from a 419xr with mid motor and 420 suspension and still every week I'm a lap up on the guys I was half a lap up on with my 419. But the evo is just so difficult to drive, it's so twitchy and setup changes just don't seem to make any difference.

I think if you can handle it, she's fast, Ive had to completely alter how I enter corners to avoid traction rolling, and when I do I can put some amazing laps together.

I measure droop with a flat stepped right height gauge with the chassis flat on the board, flat bit of the gauge directly under the wishbone touching the plastic, but before the screw (which protrudes lower than the wishbone)

I'll post a pic tomorrow of how I do it.

But while we're on droop, tonight I wanted to try less droop on the front (higher number on the gauge) as my car was pushing too much on power so was hoping this would keep a bit more weight on the front on power, it worked, but, on the second corner the car flipped as I wasn't expecting it. So I settled on 5.5 on the front and 5 on the rear, using my method.

I'm just not sure how I feel about the car now, I love it, it's different, but I just can't help but feel I as a driver have got more potential than the car.

I'll keep at it until a 421 comes out then I might put the evo on the shelf lol.
I am just wondering if you are running the carbon chassis on carpet. Considering this car for a spec class as I have read through the posts and wondering if you are using the stock chassis.
Old 09-09-2023, 12:29 AM
Tech Regular

Yeh im running the carbon chassis, as far as I'm aware nobody has done an ally one yet, but if they did I'd have one as its just got way too much flex for high grip carpet.
Isaac likes this.
Old 09-15-2023, 03:13 PM
Tech Regular

Tried a new setup tonight which really tamed the car down.

Took all the ackerman shims out, 1mm shims under the inner front top arm, droop 4.5 on the rear, 6 on the front. No matter how hard I pushed it didn't want to grip roll, steering was really tamed so I had to turn it up on the transmitter which is a first for this car, and the lift off oversteer was completely gone.

finally found some pace in 17.5
Isaac and Qatmix like this.
Old 09-16-2023, 04:12 PM
Tech Regular

Just noticed that on full droop on the rear with the ride height set at 5, if I lift the car up, the springs aren't even touching the collar.

Same if I try my 2.5 springs too.

Can only imagine its becsuse the car is very front weight biased so at ride height the rear isnt getting much weight over it.

Was thinking softer springs in the rear would mean I need to turn the collar down more and possibly solve the issue, but then it might be too soft.

What springs you using?
Old 09-17-2023, 10:53 PM
Tech Master

Just noticed that on full droop on the rear with the ride height set at 5, if I lift the car up, the springs aren't even touching the collar.

Same if I try my 2.5 springs too.

Can only imagine its becsuse the car is very front weight biased so at ride height the rear isnt getting much weight over it.

Was thinking softer springs in the rear would mean I need to turn the collar down more and possibly solve the issue, but then it might be too soft.

What springs you using?
Do you race at Ripon?
Old 09-17-2023, 11:19 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Juan Aveytia
Do you race at Ripon?
Nah, Sheffield and Doncaster
Old 09-18-2023, 10:37 PM
Tech Initiate

This car is hard to find a setup sheets.
Old 09-19-2023, 03:44 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Juan Aveytia
Do you race at Ripon?
Originally Posted by titanmaru
This car is hard to find a setup sheets.
yes, I think most are sat on a shelf.

What surface do you run on?
Old 09-19-2023, 09:17 AM
Tech Initiate

Black carpet, grip is pretty high
Old 09-19-2023, 10:40 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by titanmaru
Black carpet, grip is pretty high
oof.
​​​i seem to have cured my grip roll by putting some shims under the inner camber links at the front, and reducing camber to 1mm.

Never raced on the black stuff, our carpet is medium grip.
Old 09-19-2023, 10:12 PM
Tech Initiate

I have yet to run my car that much. Was busy with the TRF420X. Hopefully I can set this car up this weekend. Thanks for the tips.
Old 09-20-2023, 12:19 PM
Tech Regular

I keep considering a 420x, but a recon a 42q or 420xr must be due soon so I'm going to stick at it with the evo 8, I've been racing it almost a year now and am still getting to grips with it, but every week it's improving, I just find setup changes don't really seem to do much, probably because of all the flex, but it is getting there slowly.

I can't see it been much use on high grip carpet though, there's just far too much flex. But on our medoum grip, the amount of traction it generates is insane really, if you can set it up to tame it down it can be an animal.
zuqbu likes this.
Old 09-20-2023, 02:55 PM
Tech Adept

I keep considering a 420x, but a recon a 42q or 420xr must be due soon so I'm going to stick at it with the evo 8, I've been racing it almost a year now and am still getting to grips with it, but every week it's improving, I just find setup changes don't really seem to do much, probably because of all the flex, but it is getting there slowly.

I can't see it been much use on high grip carpet though, there's just far too much flex. But on our medoum grip, the amount of traction it generates is insane really, if you can set it up to tame it down it can be an animal.
I feel you. For me the TB-EVO 8 is my go-to car indoors as it just planted on the medium-grip carpet we have here. Outdoors I am running a TRF420 which works well on low grip with it's balance well towards the rear. I also think a new TRF car is imminent, let's see what they have in stock for us next year
Old 09-20-2023, 03:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

Easiest way to get rid of traction rolling is to widen the car Tamia makes a set of wheel spacers that come in 0.5. , 1 and 2 mm widths they are red and blue aluminum sold as a pack they work very well for solving this problem start with the 0.5 in the front and none in the rear then go to one in the front and 0.5 in the rear should go away you won't have to make drastic changes to the car it's a car was fast but traction rolling just widen it you don't want to change the setup so it doesn't roll cuz then you're making the car easier to drive and it won't be as fast lap time wise

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.