Like Tree213Likes

Tamiya TB Evo 8

Old 03-31-2023, 02:40 AM
  #166  
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 309
Default

Originally Posted by 200sxr
I found a new kit here in Australia, and it is now on the way to me. I raced on an outdoor track for the first time over the weekend. I wanted to try more front, so I widen the front track by 0.75mm using wheel spacers and I was surprised by how much more steering I got. To a degree, it got a bit too tail happy. I hit a barrier when I was trying to correct a snap oversteer and broke a front upright.

Much to improve!
Oops. I run my front end in the F block setting, which is 2 notches out from the kit D setting. I find it tames the front down a little. My car has got so much steering whatever changes i make so ive just had to turn down the dual rates to about 19degrees on max lock.

also, ive put some titanium steering arms on now as for some reason I kept bending the aluminium ones even after a slight knock. Hopefully the titanium will have sorted it
hipwell is offline  
Old 04-07-2023, 12:46 PM
  #167  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (10)
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 185
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Does anyone know the part number for the optional rear body mount stays?
JUNI is offline  
Old 04-08-2023, 05:27 AM
  #168  
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 309
Default

Originally Posted by JUNI
Does anyone know the part number for the optional rear body mount stays?
https://sakaguchinetshop.com/product...oducts_id=6655

Mine came with a set in the kit though
hipwell is offline  
Old 04-08-2023, 08:24 AM
  #169  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (10)
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 185
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by hipwell
https://sakaguchinetshop.com/product...oducts_id=6655

Mine came with a set in the kit though
Thank you
JUNI is offline  
Old 04-12-2023, 04:27 AM
  #170  
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 89
Default

Has anyone seen the clear gear cover anywhere? The one on the rear bulkhead broke where the tabs are. Otherwise the car is going well and still learning about on road racing.
200sxr is offline  
Old 04-12-2023, 12:10 PM
  #171  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (32)
 
hotdognobun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: San Diego
Posts: 873
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by 200sxr
Has anyone seen the clear gear cover anywhere? The one on the rear bulkhead broke where the tabs are. Otherwise the car is going well and still learning about on road racing.

https://www.tamiyausa.com/shop/7-dig...r-cover-42383/

I wish they would release a smoked or translucent blue version line the EVO IV days
hotdognobun is offline  
Old 04-13-2023, 03:53 AM
  #172  
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 309
Default

Originally Posted by 200sxr
Has anyone seen the clear gear cover anywhere? The one on the rear bulkhead broke where the tabs are. Otherwise the car is going well and still learning about on road racing.
Mine is flying now, i love seeing peoples faces when they see its a tamiya shafty that's beating them.

the kit setup is terrible though, it's took alot of tweaking to get it there.
hipwell is offline  
Old 04-13-2023, 12:09 PM
  #173  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (32)
 
hotdognobun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: San Diego
Posts: 873
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by hipwell
Mine is flying now, i love seeing peoples faces when they see its a tamiya shafty that's beating them.

the kit setup is terrible though, it's took alot of tweaking to get it there.
I just picked one up 2nd hand and the last owner had it setup pretty good for high grip surfaces. I have a parking lot race this Sunday with med/low surface so hopefully I can get used to this chassis during practice cause iím so used to belt cars
hotdognobun is offline  
Old 04-15-2023, 07:03 AM
  #174  
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 89
Default

I back to back my new EVO 8 against my first one to make sure the handling is similar. One thing I have noticed is that the old one was heaps louder. Upon closer inspection the rear drive under the cover was full tyre dust. The crown and pinion was packed full of it. I think majority of it came from the 2 m3 holes in the bulkhead where they are used for the steering link in the front. I blanked them off with 2 m3 screws. Also put some small foam triangles on the top edge of the bearing to seal off that area just in case.
hotdognobun likes this.
200sxr is offline  
Old 04-18-2023, 11:38 AM
  #175  
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 309
Default

The biggest issue I'm finding with this car is that after the slightest knock on the front end the chassis tweaks around the spur gear mount and I have to release it with the 2 top deck screws. I really wish they'd used a solid brace like on the evo 7
hipwell is offline  
Old 04-19-2023, 12:37 AM
  #176  
Tech Adept
 
zuqbu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 145
Default

Originally Posted by hipwell
The biggest issue I'm finding with this car is that after the slightest knock on the front end the chassis tweaks around the spur gear mount and I have to release it with the 2 top deck screws. I really wish they'd used a solid brace like on the evo 7
I have experienced the same. Honest question because the tweak seems very slight, can you feel a difference in the car's behaviour? Because I don't but I am also not the best driver
zuqbu is offline  
Old 04-19-2023, 05:17 AM
  #177  
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 309
Default

Originally Posted by zuqbu
I have experienced the same. Honest question because the tweak seems very slight, can you feel a difference in the car's behaviour? Because I don't but I am also not the best driver
Hmm, difficult to say, the car never feels right after a knock mid race, but I think alot of that is mental.

But, I have also found that it's took out the bearings on a couple of occasions on the centre shaft, assuming because they take the hit when the chassis flexes and tweaks in that section.

I was considering trying the rear motor option, I feel like it will be less prone to tweak at the rear, and if it does tweak at the rear it's less likely to Impact on the steering.
hipwell is offline  
Old 04-19-2023, 08:17 AM
  #178  
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 89
Default

Originally Posted by hipwell
Hmm, difficult to say, the car never feels right after a knock mid race, but I think alot of that is mental.

But, I have also found that it's took out the bearings on a couple of occasions on the centre shaft, assuming because they take the hit when the chassis flexes and tweaks in that section.

I was considering trying the rear motor option, I feel like it will be less prone to tweak at the rear, and if it does tweak at the rear it's less likely to Impact on the steering.
I see what you mean, my centre bearings were rough also and I presume is from the knock even when I have a brace between the 2 top desks. Regarding if the tweak around the motor mount affects the handling. The engineering tells me it does not as the tweak should be even on both side due to the way the top desks are linked but I have also experienced a slight change in steering after a hit and it seems to fix itself after releasing the tweak. Strange.
200sxr is offline  
Old 04-19-2023, 09:56 PM
  #179  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (32)
 
hotdognobun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: San Diego
Posts: 873
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default Servo

How is everyone running the servo cable with the central spur setup? My spur already ate a chunk out of the cable
hotdognobun is offline  
Old 04-21-2023, 09:13 AM
  #180  
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 309
Default

Originally Posted by hotdognobun
How is everyone running the servo cable with the central spur setup? My spur already ate a chunk out of the cable
When you say central spur setup do you mean motor on the front left?

If so I just run the servo cable under the motor, it goes nowhere near the spur gear as my servo sits in front of the motor and the cable exits on the left and then i just tuck it under the motor with a bit of douvle sided tape
hipwell is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.