Like Tree144Likes

Tamiya TB Evo 8

Old 03-18-2023, 05:07 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by hipwell View Post
I think we will all struggle with the evo specific parts. I can get hold of the suspension parts fine as its same as ta08, driveshafts ok as same as other trf parts, gearbox parts easily as same as tb05.

The bit that worries me is the main chassis, top decks and the main prop shafts which will wear eventually.

I normally get strange parts from rc kleinkram in Germany, but even they do not have the parts mentioned above.
Couldn't agree more with what hipwell said, but want to add what I got for spares:

For the suspension I got #51638 TRF420 C-Parts and #51669 TA08 D-Parts those are the most susceptible things to break in a crash
For the drivetrain I have #51549 TB-04 Gear Diff Set and #51547 TB-04 One-Way/Gear Unit Ring Gear set those are the things that I reckon will wear out first
I also got a spare TA-08 urethane bumper #316275083

If you're worried about the rear differential you can also purchase the #54540 Steel bevel gears and #42324 TB-05 Aluminium Diff housing. I wouldn't recommend running the steel bevel gears without the aluminium diff housing as I heard stories of the plastic diff housing melting with the steel gears. If you assemble the diff, leave out the optional MC13 parts mentioned in step 22 of the manual otherwise your diff will bind.

All of these parts should be available easily.

All being said, you're running a limited edition kit if you're that worried about spares maybe a different car would be better. Personally I am running the TB Evo 8 in a stock class with 17,5T motors, and after well over 100 runs/charges including a couple of crashes I didn't need to replace anything and all of the parts don't show any visual signs of wear. Your mileage might wary if you're running the car with a more powerful motor of course.
Old 03-18-2023, 05:18 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by zuqbu View Post
Couldn't agree more with what hipwell said, but want to add what I got for spares:

For the suspension I got #51638 TRF420 C-Parts and #51669 TA08 D-Parts those are the most susceptible things to break in a crash
For the drivetrain I have #51549 TB-04 Gear Diff Set and #51547 TB-04 One-Way/Gear Unit Ring Gear set those are the things that I reckon will wear out first
I also got a spare TA-08 urethane bumper #316275083

If you're worried about the rear differential you can also purchase the #54540 Steel bevel gears and #42324 TB-05 Aluminium Diff housing. I wouldn't recommend running the steel bevel gears without the aluminium diff housing as I heard stories of the plastic diff housing melting with the steel gears. If you assemble the diff, leave out the optional MC13 parts mentioned in step 22 of the manual otherwise your diff will bind.

All of these parts should be available easily.

All being said, you're running a limited edition kit if you're that worried about spares maybe a different car would be better. Personally I am running the TB Evo 8 in a stock class with 17,5T motors, and after well over 100 runs/charges including a couple of crashes I didn't need to replace anything and all of the parts don't show any visual signs of wear. Your mileage might wary if you're running the car with a more powerful motor of course.
Yeh your right about the rear diff.

I replaced mine with the aluminium housing and steel bevel gears as i shredded the plastic ones, and the alumimunium diff with steel gears is much much smoother than the plastic one.

I've raced every week since November and haven't broke anything yet, all ive had to replace is the crown gears on the spool once and the internal diff gears which should be sorted now I'm running ally.

The main bit that worried me is when the prop shaft starts to wear, the small one should be easy to get as it's the same part the mini uses, but the longer one might be an issue.

If all else fails I'll have to run rear motor in the event that I can't find the proper shaft for front motor.

I'll also add, that I use trf419 steel outdrives on the spool with no blades on the driveshaft, this setup is much more reliable and doesnt ruin a race if you brake a plastic blade, the only downside is that the pins on the shafts wear, but they dont break.
zuqbu likes this.
Old 03-18-2023, 04:09 PM
Tech Apprentice

Yeh your right about the rear diff.

I replaced mine with the aluminium housing and steel bevel gears as i shredded the plastic ones, and the alumimunium diff with steel gears is much much smoother than the plastic one.

I've raced every week since November and haven't broke anything yet, all ive had to replace is the crown gears on the spool once and the internal diff gears which should be sorted now I'm running ally.

The main bit that worried me is when the prop shaft starts to wear, the small one should be easy to get as it's the same part the mini uses, but the longer one might be an issue.

If all else fails I'll have to run rear motor in the event that I can't find the proper shaft for front motor.

I'll also add, that I use trf419 steel outdrives on the spool with no blades on the driveshaft, this setup is much more reliable and doesnt ruin a race if you brake a plastic blade, the only downside is that the pins on the shafts wear, but they dont break.
Cannot agree more. You are right, lots of the parts are from various Tamiya models and I have been able to source them. However some parts, even if they are not EVO8 specific like the turn buckle within the upper arms has been a pain to find.

I run in a 21.5T class so wear has not been an issue, The only item I have to replace due to wear has been the plastic blade insert in the front outdrive.

There is a company here in Australia (https://bezerk.com.au/) that can duplicate carbon chassis, maybe I can approach them to see if they will cut the chassis for an EVO 8. Will anyone be interested in getting spare chassis?

Old 03-19-2023, 06:24 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by 200sxr View Post
Cannot agree more. You are right, lots of the parts are from various Tamiya models and I have been able to source them. However some parts, even if they are not EVO8 specific like the turn buckle within the upper arms has been a pain to find.

I run in a 21.5T class so wear has not been an issue, The only item I have to replace due to wear has been the plastic blade insert in the front outdrive.

There is a company here in Australia (https://bezerk.com.au/) that can duplicate carbon chassis, maybe I can approach them to see if they will cut the chassis for an EVO 8. Will anyone be interested in getting spare chassis?
Yeh, try sakaguchi shop in Germany, they seem to stock quite a lot of parts actually, but not the bottom deck.

I guess it might be worth asking them, but surely tamiya will produce a genuine spare part soon?

I run 13.5 and the blades weren't lasting long at all so thats why i went to the 419 steel setup, its so much more reliable. My mate with a 420 has also gone to a 419 spool with steel outdrives and can now finish a race without having blade issues
Old 03-19-2023, 07:04 AM
Tech Rookie

Hey, has anyone noticed this is discontinued on Tamiya USA site???!
Old 03-19-2023, 07:35 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by CV77 View Post
Hey, has anyone noticed this is discontinued on Tamiya USA site???!
already lol
Old 03-19-2023, 10:38 AM
Tech Rookie

already lol
Right??! Haven't even driven mine yet. Ordered another one for parts anyway.
Old 03-19-2023, 11:53 AM
Tech Adept

Right??! Haven't even driven mine yet. Ordered another one for parts anyway.
You got a link for where youve seen this? I tried the tamiya site but couldn't see that

I was thinking of buying a second one for parts as its a brilliant car, works perfect on our medium grip carpet.

But then I think do I just wait for a 420xr and have done with it lol.
Old 03-19-2023, 12:43 PM
Tech Rookie

You got a link for where youve seen this? I tried the tamiya site but couldn't see that

I was thinking of buying a second one for parts as its a brilliant car, works perfect on our medium grip carpet.

But then I think do I just wait for a 420xr and have done with it lol.
the link doesnt want to load, just go to tamiyausa.com>products>cars>1/10 TB & then on the bottom left check show discontinued.
Old 03-19-2023, 01:13 PM
Tech Adept

the link doesnt want to load, just go to tamiyausa.com>products>cars>1/10 TB & then on the bottom left check show discontinued.
found it.

That's Ridiculous really. I wonder why, didn't sell as well as expected maybe?

it's been removed from the German tamiya site too
Old 03-19-2023, 06:54 PM
Tech Apprentice

That is a shame! Considering it is sold out in most places around the globe surely it is not selling below expectation?
Old 03-20-2023, 05:07 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by 200sxr View Post
That is a shame! Considering it is sold out in most places around the globe surely it is not selling below expectation?
I asked the retailer who I bought mine from and they recon that they only ever produce one batch of evos.

They still have 19 in stock and are thinking that will see them until the end of this year as they ordered more up front knowing that it would be a limited production run.

They also said spares should still be able to be got hold of.

Just seems a very odd decision by tamiya to not continue to produce it, it's a great car and a good cheaper alternative to a 420x.
Old 03-20-2023, 05:11 AM
Tech Adept

Also, h2rd have already done a replacement carbin chassis for the evo 8

https://h2-rd.com/collections/tbevo/...chassis-2-25mm