Like Tree205Likes

Tamiya TB Evo 8

Old 03-03-2023, 04:26 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by hipwell
How tight are people doing the nuts on the top deck at the bulkhead end?

Should the top decks be able to fall under their own weight to avoid tweak?

Or be mega tight?

Ive noticed even after a slight knock im having to loosen the top decks on the spur gear mount to relief tweak, but think if the decks alwere a tad looser on the ends, it wouldnt tweak it, but would cause more front to rear flex, and its got plenty of that
I am tightening them up and checking tweak after every hit. I had a crash the other day into a car that ventured off-track and into my driving line and the thing that tweaked was actually the motor mount. Not the three screws securing it to the bottom deck but the two alignment screws to adjust the mesh. Top deck was fine, and no other damage sustained luckily.
ruebiracer and 200sxr like this.
Old 03-03-2023, 04:31 PM
Tech Adept

In other news, I think the car just needs less camber to archive grip then others. I was using 2 degrees front and rear as is standard with all other cars on my particular track, but I had much better results (and finally fixed the traction rolling) with 1 degree rear and 1.5 degree on the front. Shaved .2 tenths of my laptimes and made me much more confident in tackling the tight corners as well.
ruebiracer and 200sxr like this.
Old 03-04-2023, 02:45 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by zuqbu
In other news, I think the car just needs less camber to archive grip then others. I was using 2 degrees front and rear as is standard with all other cars on my particular track, but I had much better results (and finally fixed the traction rolling) with 1 degree rear and 1.5 degree on the front. Shaved .2 tenths of my laptimes and made me much more confident in tackling the tight corners as well.
that happened to me a few weeks ago, took me ages to realise what had tweaked, I thought I'd bent the servo mount at first.

OK I'll give that a try,l. What roll centre settings are you using on the lower blocks and upper arms?

It's a shame, it's a great car but I think there only seems to be me and you racing it!

Last edited by hipwell; 03-05-2023 at 03:33 AM.
Old 03-05-2023, 12:09 AM
Tech Adept

There's one more guy at my local track running it, but currently with VTA rules. So it's three of us! Roll center is currently build as per kit-default.
ruebiracer likes this.
Old 03-05-2023, 04:57 AM
Tech Regular

zuqbu : How did you fix the bent motor mount? Re tweaking, or replace? Just ask, because e.g. Modellbau Seidel stocks no Evo 8 parts at all. Just a replacement manual. Thatīs a bit weird. At least when the car is new, everything should be available. And whatīs your weight ready to run? Would be interesting!
Have fun,
Matthias
Old 03-05-2023, 05:45 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by ruebiracer
zuqbu : How did you fix the bent motor mount? Re tweaking, or replace? Just ask, because e.g. Modellbau Seidel stocks no Evo 8 parts at all. Just a replacement manual. Thatīs a bit weird. At least when the car is new, everything should be available. And whatīs your weight ready to run? Would be interesting!
Have fun,
Matthias
It was not bend just misaligned luckily! Total weight is 1288g if I remember correctly.
Old 03-06-2023, 02:37 AM
Tech Regular

I think race ready with a 6000mah shorty mine comes in a 1324g which is more or less bang on the money for the brca rules, although our clubs doesn't enforce it anyway.
Qatmix likes this.
Old 03-09-2023, 02:22 PM
Tech Adept

The honest answer is: I don't know. A corner weight scale is on my shopping list.

However the car feels balanced – the battery (and transponder) is a bit lighter than the electric components on the left side, but it is reaching far more outward to compensate for it. Here's a picture from above:

I rebuild the car back to the front motor layout this week (it is identical to the old picture above), and today someone at the track brought his corner scales so I can give you a proper answer now:

(sorry for all the german, but it should be quite obvious. let me know if you need anything translated)
Rick Vessell likes this.
Old 03-10-2023, 12:49 AM
Tech Regular

Brilliant, that's not far off at all isit. I run a very similar setup to you so it gives me confidence mine will be similar as I don't have any corner scales.

How heavy is your battery?

I'm gutted, won't be able to race tonight as we've just randomly had about 2ft of snow delivered!
Old 03-10-2023, 02:59 AM
Tech Adept

Brilliant, that's not far off at all isit. I run a very similar setup to you so it gives me confidence mine will be similar as I don't have any corner scales.

How heavy is your battery?

I'm gutted, won't be able to race tonight as we've just randomly had about 2ft of snow delivered!
The battery is 202g, it is mounted as far forward as possible.
Old 03-10-2023, 03:41 PM
Tech Regular

The battery is 202g, it is mounted as far forward as possible.
I managed to get there in the end. Car was much better behaved tonight, tried less camber like you said, went for 1.5 all round and didnt roll once.

I also Went with 5mm rear droop top to stop a bit of the weoght transfer to the front, and softer springs, xray 2.5 rear and 2.6 front.

Still got stupid amounts of steering, next time out I'm gonna try a 1mm shim under the front inner camber links to see if it takes away some of the front end
zuqbu likes this.

Last edited by hipwell; 03-11-2023 at 03:07 AM.
Old 03-17-2023, 03:42 PM
Tech Regular

I managed to get there in the end. Car was much better behaved tonight, tried less camber like you said, went for 1.5 all round and didnt roll once.

I also Went with 5mm rear droop top to stop a bit of the weoght transfer to the front, and softer springs, xray 2.5 rear and 2.6 front.

Still got stupid amounts of steering, next time out I'm gonna try a 1mm shim under the front inner camber links to see if it takes away some of the front end
New setup works, 1mm under the front inner camber links, car was an absolute beast tonight.
Old 03-17-2023, 11:04 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Core Creations
How does the car feel with the servo on the battery side like that? I had to add a good chunk of weight opposite of the servo to balance the cars steering out.

I had a brace I printed but wound up removing it and the car felt much better (on black carpet).
Sorry I do not hang around here as much as I should. At the end I swapped the servo to the other side to make the L/R weight more balanced. With the servo on the RHS the car had more steering turning left than right.
Old 03-17-2023, 11:17 PM
Tech Apprentice

Team, What is your experience with spares for the EVO 8? I live in Australia and the local distributor is not interested in bringing parts in. I have been able to get some basic parts such as arms, hubs, diff, etc from Japan and US. Now I would like a spare chassis and I have not seen it anywhere short of getting another complete kit, where can I find one of those?

Last edited by 200sxr; 03-18-2023 at 04:54 PM.
Old 03-18-2023, 01:10 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by 200sxr
Team, What is your experience with spares for the EVO 8? I live in Australia and the local distributor is not interested in bringing parts in. I have been able to get some basic parts such as arms, hubs, diff, etc from Japan and US. How I would like a spare chassis and I have not seen it anywhere.short of getting another complete kit, where can I find one of those?
I think we will all struggle with the evo specific parts. I can get hold of the suspension parts fine as its same as ta08, driveshafts ok as same as other trf parts, gearbox parts easily as same as tb05.

The bit that worries me is the main chassis, top decks and the main prop shafts which will wear eventually.

I normally get strange parts from rc kleinkram in Germany, but even they do not have the parts mentioned above.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.