R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-18-2006, 11:05 PM   #91
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisP
Hi Jason,

Xray has a Dealer locator on their website that may help you find alternate sources or a shop in your local area.

Failing that you may also want to check out their online X-Shop

Dude you must get one serious commision from XRay... pimping their cars everywhere you go.

Seriously though, get the car that has the best support in your area. Personally I went away from XRAY and into an RDX and I am nothing but happy .... until Xray fixes their tweak problem without having to buy another $175 (or more) worth of aftermarket parts, I am not interested in even trying the car.
duckman996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 06:24 AM   #92
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Actually Martin, I've always spoken very highly and been a proponent of the Xray product...long before I had any affiliation with Xray or the distributor.

In the post you quoted, I was simply answering a direct question about where to find product...
ChrisP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 07:59 AM   #93
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I would choose a rtr HPI micro over the T2. If it weren't so abrasive, I'd use it to wipe my butt!
RickBud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 08:03 AM   #94
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickBud
I would choose a rtr HPI micro over the T2. If it weren't so abrasive, I'd use it to wipe my butt!
Please share why. I'm not flaming; I'm genuinely interested in why.

Thanks
Jason B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 08:12 AM   #95
Tech Apprentice

Because it's not soft like toilet tissue and it would hurt!
Old 04-19-2006, 08:14 AM   #96
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickBud
Because it's not soft like toilet tissue and it would hurt!

I don't have an Xray... I just want to know why you don't like it. I'm still waffling between the RDX and the T2, so help a brother out.
Old 04-19-2006, 08:18 AM   #97
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Neither of those cars are soft like toilet tissue either.

I though I had you talked into an RDX Jason...If you're really that set on the XRay go for it then.

“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.” - John Wayne
dr_hfuhuhurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 08:44 AM   #98
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_hfuhuhurr
Neither of those cars are soft like toilet tissue either.

I though I had you talked into an RDX Jason...If you're really that set on the XRay go for it then.
You did, but then I saw another picture of a T2.

I told you I was an indecisive little b*tch.
Old 04-19-2006, 08:52 AM   #99
Tech Elite

Get the XRay then...Honestly, I think John is right in his earlier post. It's personal preference for most of the cars at this point, with a few exceptions for cars that are purpose built for rubber tire racing. If you really want an XRay, get an XRay.

oh...and you are a little Biotch...

Old 04-19-2006, 08:55 AM   #100
Tech Apprentice

Get the stiff pickle chassis if you get this banana!
Old 04-19-2006, 08:59 AM   #101
Tech Elite

I've heard you like a stiff pickle in your ear Rick.

Old 04-19-2006, 09:03 AM   #102
Tech Apprentice

? I don't get it. All I know is the T2 should be sold in rolls at the local supermarket.
Old 04-21-2006, 12:47 AM   #103
Tech Regular

hmmmmmm...rickbud what car do you drive? toy"r"us or what?
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 05:57 AM   #104
Tech Regular

I am about to order a T2 and almost thought about switching to the RDX but for 2 things.

I have all of the springs, screws, misc pieces for the Xrays already and would have to stock up on Corally stuff then spending more money.

And the fastest guy at our track (he really is GOOD) would break an arm or 2 just about every night to every other night of racing.

I break a c-hub or steering block about once a month on the XRay.....

This is the 04 mind you but still...
new92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 07:10 AM   #105
Tech Fanatic

I've been waffling on this since last Friday (sorry Blake). There are real pros and cons to each one... but just covering the cons:

(Before I start, I'm just thinking outloud and in my honest opinion)

RDX Cons:
Arms fragile
Diff components, especially the washers and circlip, tend to wear out and cause the diffs to loosen frequently
Front bumper is balls
No servo saver (very minor complaint)

T2 Cons:
PLASTIC SHOCKS*
Tweak issues; most people solve with an aftermarket chassis ($100+)
Battery strap is a $30 option
Sway kits are $30 options (rear doesn't seem needed, but front is pretty standard on most setups)
Spring sets cost eleventy billion dollars**

Xray T2
"We don't include the alloy shocks because the composite ones are simply better."

They're better because the alloy ones suck, not because they discovered some deep dark secret regarding superior composite materials use.

What it SHOULD say is "in order to cut costs, we used plastic shock bodies. When people got pissed, we half-baked some alloy alternatives but they were never fully developed, so they're pretty much not usable."

They say the composites are simply better. That's not because the plastic ones are so fantastically awesome, but because the alloy bodies aren't produced to the same quality as, say, Corally's alloy bodies.

Fix whatever isn't "as good" with your alloy shock bodies, and make them standard on your "luxury" car kit!

Spring sets. Suppose you need springs X on the front and Y on the back. They make you buy FOUR of X and FOUR of Y. Why not sell them in packages of 2 to allow the consumer to save some money? If you want to get all of the spring options, it's $120. Why? Well, a) because they're very pricey, and b) because they're making you buy FOUR of each. Total cost for all springs could easily be $60. If I need four, I'll buy 2 sets of 2. If your springs are made of Super Uber Hudy Spring Steel and you want to charge a premium for that, then fine... but don't make me buy 20 of something that I only need 5 of.

Ranting aside, I just don't feel like the T2 is truly ready to race out of the box. At a bare minimum it needs the front sway kit and, for carpet racers, two sets of four springs (which are, coincidentally, not bundled in the same spring kit). If you're picky over tape, you also need a $30 battery strap.

Corally RDX
We have a relatively weak front end, but customers need to replace the front sponge we call a bumper. Not as aggregious as the Xray issues in my opinion, but an easy problem to fix at the factory.

From a pure performance standpoint, the RDX appears ready to race, but if you want to get around some durability issues, you have a few mods to buy.

Corally fans want to ignore the fragility issues with the RDX. Xray fans want to ignore the tweak issue and the shocks issue. I'm not saying I expect an absolutely perfect car, but neither fanbase is really being honest with themselves. Corally did acknowledge the breakage issues back in December/January, but it's almost May and there's still no fix. Xray hasn't even acknowledged that the chassis gets jacked pretty easily. They're great at helping people fix it - a lot - but they do this while artfully sidestepping the fact that we have a fairly critical design flaw on our hands. I know the T2 is still "fresh", but I really hope they're working on a new top deck that will become standard in all T2 kits.

I'm really not trying to just start flaming everyone. I'm just thinking outloud. I'm just expressing how these situations look to an "outsider". It makes chosing between the two a real PITA when it should be fun. Without a doubt, they are two of the best cars in TC. One isn't necessarily "better" than the other (perhaps contributing to my frustration), but what shocks me is how equally matched they are given the fact that their flaws are so vastly different from one another.