R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-22-2002, 03:46 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to unknown
Default car drags when turning...HPI A4 Quattro Body...

OK, I bought the HPI A4 Quattro body because I am into Audi/VW. I didn't look into getting a body that was the best for racing. I probaby should have got the Stratus. Anyways...too late now. Let me get to the problem.

When I cut the body after painting...I made sure to leave as much as possible...so I could cut off some if I needed to. Well, after cutting, I went to the track and went around a couple times. I noticed that the car was dragging in the front and on the sided a little. I cut off the parts that I needed to and went back out on the track. I noticed that it still kept dragging...yet I didn't see any place that it was dragging. I don't understand what the problem is. I cut off more to see if that might have been the problem, even though I didn't see any signs of the body dragging andmore....but even after that, it still kept dragging. Finally, I took the body off and just went around the track without the body. Nothing was dragging and it went around great. So, the problem is with the body....even though I trimmed off a lot of the body already.

So, I have come to conclude that I am just going to get a new body. What do you recommend? The Stratus?
unknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2002, 03:59 PM   #2
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to seaball

stiffer springs!

- protoform stratus or stratus 2.0
- protoform vectra
- parma x20 (the guys here love it)

stay away from hpi, as the lexan is a bit thinner. also make sure to try the shoo goo trick if you want your body to last.

later.
seaball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2002, 06:52 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Default Body in Drag

Unknown;

Dumb Question: Did you use some body pins UNDERNEATH the body to support it and to keep it from dropping down futher. HPI bodies on HPI cars usually fit quite well when trimmed per instructions.

I USED to use Shoe Goo in the stressed areas of my bodies until the paint started coming off in sheets. I always Shoe-Goo the wing and side dams but save the reast for repair later. Wallboard Mesh tape works great for reinforcing the repair joint and then coat with the Goo.

Last edited by popsracer; 12-22-2002 at 06:56 PM.
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2002, 09:15 PM   #4
Tech Adept

Yes I did use body pins underneath the body. Those came with the car and I knew to put them on when I put the body on.

#1 I did notice that the lexan did snap fairly easy when I hit the wall only a couple times. I thought that the lexan should last a little longer. I only bought the HPI A4 Quattro because I like Audi...and I didn't really care to get a Dodge body. It looks like I am going to be getting a Dodge body now.

#2 I am running the stock springs. Do you really think that has anything to do with it? I set the front droop to 6 and the rear to 8 to reduce body roll. I was thinking about getting the threaded shocks to set a better ride height and get the sway bars to reduce body roll even more.

Let me know what you guys think.

Also, what is the difference between the Protoform Stratus and the Protoform Stratus 2.0? The look the same!
Old 12-23-2002, 10:45 AM   #5
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to seaball

they actually are a bit different. the 2.0 looks like to newest body that dodge offers. it handles similar and is shorter.

what is your ride height? i usually run 5-6mm and the bottom of the body is flush with the top of the chassis (roughly 7-8mm above ground). it is still possible to drag the body in turns with this geometry in high grip situations, but usually only for a split second during a corner. have you checked to see if it is the body contacting the tires? if it happens at relatively low speeds it's most likely body/tires vs. body/ground.

when you say stock springs? what car/springs? some kits come with really inadequate stock springs even for bashing. for tc, we usually don't use anything below 15lb springs on any car for any situation. this is a huge generalization, but 15-25 for asphalt, and 25-35 for carpet or rough cement.

hope you find the problem. if it's in the suspension, a new body is still gonna contact the ground when the car dives.

later.
seaball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2002, 11:14 AM   #6
Tech Adept

I have a RTR TC3 kit with the stock springs. There is definatly something wrong with the body. Because when I take it off, and run the car around the track...it goes around perfect. But when I put it back on, it definately drags. This isn't a low speeds...only at high speeds going around any type of turn. I don't understand where the problem is though.
Old 12-23-2002, 12:44 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Unknown;

If the chassis isn't sraping in the turns, then just trim the body up higher on the sides a little more until the scraping is stopped. Sometimes the wheelwells need to be re-trimed after the car has been run. a few good smacks and ANY lexan body will crack. Another good insentive for practice. Less crashing less repairing.
Old 12-23-2002, 01:38 PM   #8
Tech Adept

I trimmed most of the body already. Right now, there is nothing hitting the ground anymore when I turn...yet the car still it getting caught up somewhere when I make turns. I dont know where. I know for a fact its not scraping the body anymore. I made sure I trimmed it enough. How do I go about making sure that the wheels aren't hitting the wheel wells?
Old 12-23-2002, 02:52 PM   #9
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally posted by unknown
#1 I did notice that the lexan did snap fairly easy when I hit the wall only a couple times. I thought that the lexan should last a little longer. I only bought the HPI A4 Quattro because I like Audi...and I didn't really care to get a Dodge body. It looks like I am going to be getting a Dodge body now.
If you want a good race body but hate the Stratus, try the new Losi Alpha body. I havnt got one yet, but everyone at my track that has tried em, likes them just as good as the Stratus if not better.
Cyclonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2002, 02:59 PM   #10
Tech Adept

Actually, my girlfriends mom has the new Stratus...so I think I am going to get the new Protoform Stratus 2.0. Might as well since my HPI one sucks butt. Those things are so cheap.

Anyways...next time I go to the track...I will try to work out the kinks with the A4 body...and if I sitll can't figure it out...I will order the Stratus 2.0
Old 12-23-2002, 09:46 PM   #11
Tech Elite

unknown;

I usually set the car on a flat surface and push in on the "Fender Wells" to see if they hit the tires. Then just trim away a little till they clear the tires. You'll get the hang of it after a few more bodies.
Old 12-23-2002, 11:35 PM   #12
Tech Adept

The flares of the fenders are fine. I think the problem is is that the wheels are hitting the inside of the wheel well.
Old 12-24-2002, 02:55 PM   #13
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Do you see wear marks inside the wheels wells? if so raise the body up one notch on the bodyposts. Also check to see if the foam bumper is contacting the nside of the front of the body, if it isn't then the body may be folding under at speeds in the front.......

Pitman for Team Dallas Austin...
IMPACTPLAYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2002, 03:52 PM   #14
Tech Adept

I raised the body up as much as it can go in the rear and I raised it up in the front one notch. There is plenty of room. I do see black marks on the inside of the wheel wells...but I don't see how the wheels are hitting. The body is up high enough to where the wheels have enough space. As for the foam bumper...it is hitting the inside of the body.