R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-13-2006, 08:41 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Send a message via AIM to jscustoms
Default Newbie to Elec, need ESC tips

Alright I did a search, but this is pretty broad, so I'll keep it quick.

I posted on her a little while ago about getting into Electric On-Road. I'm a Nitro guy. No offense, but I don't even like Electric! But no one races nitro on-road, so I made the switch.

I just got a Trinity T-Spec chassis off of Ebay for like 43 bucks. Now I did some research and learned that it's not the greatest chassis - that it's pretty much for noobs...

Anyways, I got the stock motor, as well as a Reedy MVP 24-stock motor. I have no idea if that's good or not...

My question is this - how do I shop for a good ESC? I obviously need an ESC for a brushed motor (I'd love to know how a brushless motor works, since all electric motors that I know have brushes.) But I have NO idea what amps I need, or what all that other mumbo jumbo means. Now, this guy sent me a box for an ESC that he had other stuff in - it was an XRS Sport Reversible, which listed it was for "4-7 cells & 15 turn motor limit."

Can someone PLEASE put all this into english for me? I am TRYING to build myself a budget racer for under 200 bucks, and I still need batteries and a charger. (I have the radio and servos from my Nitro which I'll use for this for now.) Please point me in the right direction. I've found an XRS on ebay for about 50 bucks, and also a Futaba MC230R...

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Jeff
jscustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 09:07 PM   #2
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to RayWarner

LOL..you hate electric! I would suggest you not cut back on the speedo. Get a top of the line speedo from a name brand company...it will save you time, money and trouble in the future. I believe anyone who said they were just going to "try" electric racing out to see if they like it ended up hooked. I know I did. If you buy a current "race" model and you have problems or need advice you can ask for it here...may manufactures support these pages and it is always easy to ask questions and recieve answers from many peeps who are running what you run. With an older model it might not be so easy. Find out what your local track supports and what a few of the guys at your local track run and buy the same...that way when you need settings advice you can get it fast. Good luck and have fun.
RayWarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 09:08 PM   #3
Tech Regular

good used race spec chassis (415/cyclone/xray) $250
go brushless system (ESC+motor) $260
tires $100
Duratrac Ice charger $120
3 Packs of batteries $150
Equilizer $80

Total = $1000

i really doubt if you can get any package for less than $200
noobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 09:08 PM   #4
Tech Fanatic

i would not buy used electronics , except from people you know at the track , i like the novak GTS , 85 bucks at your local hobby shop , and it rocks ,
ray3619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 10:02 AM   #5
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscustoms
My question is this - how do I shop for a good ESC? I obviously need an ESC for a brushed motor (I'd love to know how a brushless motor works, since all electric motors that I know have brushes.) But I have NO idea what amps I need, or what all that other mumbo jumbo means.
Jeff
The Trinity T-spec is fine car. It has full ball bearings, pretty stiff chassis and it has lot of possible adjustments. It has too many adjustments to be good for n00bs.
You need ESC for the motor you're going to use. Amps are not used as a measurement for motors. Number of turns is the important thing to look at. Fewer turns give you more powerful motor and the need for more expensive ESC. ESCs for low turn motors work fine on high turn motors. I'd recommend getting Tekin speed control G10, G11 or G12. It's the best ESC you can get for the price.
19 turn is good class to start in but you have stock motor so you can begin there. Stock motors are 27 turn.
andsetinn is offline   Reply With Quote