Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Xpress Arrow AT1 >

Xpress Arrow AT1

Like Tree701Likes

Xpress Arrow AT1

Old 05-30-2022, 09:45 AM
  #46  
Tech Fanatic
 
trx-1racer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Posts: 788
Default

Originally Posted by DirkW
Actually I wouldn't worry too much. Although it can be more difficult to achieve certain final drive ratios with internal ratios like this, but it's nothing I would condemn outright. Just something to keep in mind. For VTA for example, you'll probably need quite a small spur (at least I did when I tried to rebuild my old SD for that class.)

I just found it funny that it was presented as a feature, when the same ratio had been used for shaft drive cars 20 years ago (as I am sure the Yokomo I mentioned wasn't the first).
Yeah, for VTA, you need something like 50/70... Going to look like gearing on a 1/12 scale car.
trx-1racer is offline  
Old 05-31-2022, 03:19 PM
  #47  
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Posts: 10
Default

Originally Posted by DirkW
Actually I wouldn't worry too much. Although it can be more difficult to achieve certain final drive ratios with internal ratios like this, but it's nothing I would condemn outright. Just something to keep in mind. For VTA for example, you'll probably need quite a small spur (at least I did when I tried to rebuild my old SD for that class.)

I just found it funny that it was presented as a feature, when the same ratio had been used for shaft drive cars 20 years ago (as I am sure the Yokomo I mentioned wasn't the first).
By that logic, there should be "high end" belt drive cars that have 1.8 internal gear ratio...followed quickly by gear ratios of 1.7...That not being the case is probably due to the fact that for certain drive trains, 1.9 internal is the sweet spot. For shaft drive cars, 2.3 might just be the sweet spot. you can make every excuse not to try a new car....or you can drive it and tell us the next day how good it or bad it is.
MonkeyCmonkeyDo likes this.
JB Lagdao is offline  
Old 05-31-2022, 04:24 PM
  #48  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (2)
 
gigaplex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Melbourne, VIC
Posts: 6,389
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by JB Lagdao
By that logic, there should be "high end" belt drive cars that have 1.8 internal gear ratio...followed quickly by gear ratios of 1.7...That not being the case is probably due to the fact that for certain drive trains, 1.9 internal is the sweet spot. For shaft drive cars, 2.3 might just be the sweet spot. you can make every excuse not to try a new car....or you can drive it and tell us the next day how good it or bad it is.
By what logic? The post you're replying to is suggesting you shouldn't care what the IR is.
DirkW likes this.
gigaplex is online now  
Old 06-01-2022, 04:49 AM
  #49  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (8)
 
Jonnydb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Brazil
Posts: 359
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Jonnydb is offline  
Old 06-01-2022, 09:48 AM
  #50  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: CT
Posts: 790
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Not even a 'Want' for me .... Its a 'NEED'
Always loved having a shaft drive car, even if it hangs next to my TC3 and 4 lol.
busman, Eotz and MonkeyCmonkeyDo like this.
Robbob is offline  
Old 06-01-2022, 04:44 PM
  #51  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Sacramento,California
Posts: 772
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Very very interesting!!
bigdog is offline  
Old 06-01-2022, 05:18 PM
  #52  
Dan
Tech Champion
iTrader: (76)
 
Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 6,379
Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)
Default

I already have an A700 but this looks tempting!
Dan is offline  
Old 06-02-2022, 03:50 PM
  #53  
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Chatham Ontario Canada
Posts: 2,025
Default

It's actually pretty brilliant how Xpress designed the modular drivetrain on the AT1. The design should not only reduce the torque steer issue but also allow better chassis flex characteristics that are hard to achieve without using belt driven diffs. This chassis is very different from all other shafty TC's that came before... very different from the A700 FFG/RFG system as well. Lots of new toys on my want list but this kit just jumped to the top.
DavidNERODease is offline  
Old 06-02-2022, 03:51 PM
  #54  
Super Moderator
iTrader: (239)
 
Marcos.J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Semper Fi
Posts: 33,099
Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by DavidNERODease
It's actually pretty brilliant how Xpress designed the modular drivetrain on the AT1. The design should not only reduce the torque steer issue but also allow better chassis flex characteristics that are hard to achieve without using belt driven diffs. This chassis is very different from all other shafty TC's that came before... very different from the A700 FFG/RFG system as well. Lots of new toys on my want list but this kit just jumped to the top.
and a hefty price tag for it also
Marcos.J is offline  
Old 06-02-2022, 05:20 PM
  #55  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (2)
 
gigaplex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Melbourne, VIC
Posts: 6,389
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Marcos.J
and a hefty price tag for it also
It's not that hefty. It's about the same price as the Xpress XQ10R, and is cheaper than the Xray, Mugen, Yokomo, Awesomatix, Schumacher etc cars out there.
gigaplex is online now  
Old 06-02-2022, 05:55 PM
  #56  
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 472
Default

I want that white plastic outdrive. Less bind.
Xrayray is offline  
Old 06-02-2022, 07:57 PM
  #57  
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Chatham Ontario Canada
Posts: 2,025
Default

Really like how they tied these in with the upper bulkhead/camber plate screw.
DavidNERODease is offline  
Old 06-03-2022, 01:23 AM
  #58  
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: May 2022
Location: Geneva
Posts: 54
Default

Originally Posted by DavidNERODease
The design should not only reduce the torque steer issue but also allow better chassis flex characteristics that are hard to achieve without using belt driven diffs. This chassis is very different from all other shafty TC's that came before...
Could you please explain a bit about what torque steer issue is, as well as how chassis flex plays a part, and why you think it's very different from say a A700? I'm new and trying to understand how this impacts the car and how it's all interconnected or not. TIA.
4k4m3 is offline  
Old 06-03-2022, 01:36 AM
  #59  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (2)
 
gigaplex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Melbourne, VIC
Posts: 6,389
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by 4k4m3
Could you please explain a bit about what torque steer issue is, as well as how chassis flex plays a part, and why you think it's very different from say a A700? I'm new and trying to understand how this impacts the car and how it's all interconnected or not. TIA.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torque_steer
Allowing the drivetrain to flex independently to the chassis can reduce the effects of torque steer. The A700 had a floating gearbox option to do something similar, but it's implemented differently.
DavidNERODease and 4k4m3 like this.
gigaplex is online now  
Old 06-03-2022, 05:45 AM
  #60  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (1)
 
gwhiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 968
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

I am still having some difficulty understanding how the Express AT1 design solution differs from an A700 FFG. Specifically the drivetrain torque isolation.

I had an A700 before, but I never had the FFG system and have only seen it in person very briefly. Can someone help me understand this, please? Thank you very much.

Cheers
gwhiz is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.