Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Xpress Arrow AT1 >

Xpress Arrow AT1

Like Tree618Likes

Xpress Arrow AT1

Old 09-25-2022, 10:05 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

A few folks out my way have experienced the diff leaking. Anyone else have this issue?

Scott B likes this.
Old 09-27-2022, 01:36 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nexxus View Post
48p though?
I've got a 52t 48p spur on mine currently, biggest pinion I've got is a 42t and that fits with room to spare.
That puts it at 2.92:1
Old 09-27-2022, 02:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by STLNLST View Post
A few folks out my way have experienced the diff leaking. Anyone else have this issue?
I've noticed a small amount of oil in the gearbox, but haven't had a chance to run it since cleaning it out to know how prevalent it is. It's been a wet winter in Melbourne.
Old 10-02-2022, 03:06 AM
Tech Elite

Took a trip to the Bendigo track today as a warm up for a trophy race in a couple of weeks. Had an issue with the fan mount, the screw worked loose and the fan fell out during a warm up lap. I asked a marshall to unplug the fan so I could attempt the race without it - but nope, the ESC shut down due to thermal protection on the motor sensor. The fan can move around a bit, and as it does it works the screw loose. I'd prefer an alloy version of the fan mount so I can loctite the screw in place, but maybe I'll switch to using a 3rd party mount that clamps around the motor.

Other than that, the car had good pace and felt comfortable to drive. On the last 2 runs I switched from the stock 42 front 46 rear camber link plates to 38 front 42 rear, which felt even better. I was able to push a bit harder with more stability, and improved on my times. According to the club's website, I broke the 13.5T blinky track record for total race time, and missed out on the lap record by 0.05s.
Old 10-02-2022, 10:24 PM
Tech Champion

I can only imagine how fast gigaplex's car could have been with my lightening program...It would have been at least 60g lighter...Hopefully Exotek will come out with an AT1 lightening package soon...Later....
Xrayray likes this.
Old 10-02-2022, 11:51 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by bertrandsv87 View Post
I can only imagine how fast gigaplex's car could have been with my lightening program...It would have been at least 60g lighter...Hopefully Exotek will come out with an AT1 lightening package soon...Later....
You do realise there's a weight limit, right? 60g lighter would have been disqualified.
Marcos.J and Xrayray like this.
Old 10-03-2022, 02:12 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 235 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gigaplex View Post
You do realise there's a weight limit, right? 60g lighter would have been disqualified.
I think Bert likes a lighter car so it doesn’t cause that much damage to the track when he slams his car at the end of the back straight
Old 10-03-2022, 02:33 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Marcos.J View Post
I think Bert likes a lighter car so it doesn’t cause that much damage to his furniture when he slams his car at the end of his desk
Minor changes for more realism.
RCBuddha, Marcos.J, Robbob and 1 others like this.
Old 10-03-2022, 07:05 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by DirkW View Post
Minor changes for more realism.
lol
Old 10-03-2022, 10:00 PM
Tech Champion

I meant a 60g lighter drivetrain, etc..You would then have an option to move you ballasts or mass dampers around to make minimum weight, resulting in a quicker car...

Last edited by bertrandsv87; 10-03-2022 at 10:23 PM.
Old 10-03-2022, 11:29 PM
Tech Elite

I meant a 60g lighter drivetrain, etc..You would then have an option to move you ballasts or mass dampers around to make minimum weight, resulting in a quicker car...
Think you can reduce the drivetrain weight to near zero? I've included the bearings in this weighing as it'll be a pain to take them off, but there's 10 bearings each weighing about 1g.

trx-1racer likes this.
Old 10-04-2022, 12:35 AM
Tech Champion

I do understand your point, but you forgot about the dcj drives+ rear cvds+ wheel bearings which might add another 44g or more to the mix for a grand total of about 125g or more....125g - 60g = 65g....68g is what I was able to achieve with my car of a different brand, but the logic(aluminum+CF+plastic) is still applicable here: lightest spur gear, ceramic bearings(17g),/ CF driveshaft/aluminum inputs(10g), full aluminum dcj's(4g), aluminum rear axles+ plastic bones(3g), 15g or less rear gear diff(two plastic satellite gears/plastic cross, aluminum screws&outdrives), and 10g or less front spool.....I know the parts will be weaker and costly, but it's the name of the game...Once done you will notice a big acceleration difference eventhough the total weight of the car is the same(minimum weight)...A good cnc machinist is a must here, and, since your car is already very close to winning, it might be worth the expense...Good luck, and happy racing...

Last edited by bertrandsv87; 10-04-2022 at 12:55 AM.
Old 10-04-2022, 02:05 AM
Super Moderator

Think you can reduce the drivetrain weight to near zero? I've included the bearings in this weighing as it'll be a pain to take them off, but there's 10 bearings each weighing about 1g.

let Bert put these items on his drill press
gigaplex likes this.
Old 10-04-2022, 03:13 AM
Tech Elite

I do understand your point, but you forgot about the dcj drives+ rear cvds+ wheel bearings which might add another 44g or more to the mix for a grand total of about 125g or more....125g - 60g = 65g....68g is what I was able to achieve with my car of a different brand, but the logic(aluminum+CF+plastic) is still applicable here: lightest spur gear, ceramic bearings(17g),/ CF driveshaft/aluminum inputs(10g), full aluminum dcj's(4g), aluminum rear axles+ plastic bones(3g), 15g or less rear gear diff(two plastic satellite gears/plastic cross, aluminum screws&outdrives), and 10g or less front spool.....I know the parts will be weaker and costly, but it's the name of the game...Once done you will notice a big acceleration difference eventhough the total weight of the car is the same(minimum weight)...A good cnc machinist is a must here, and, since your car is already very close to winning, it might be worth the expense...Good luck, and happy racing...
Lightest spur gear: My ARC spur is about as light as it gets.
Ceramic bearings: Maybe. I don't like using them as wheel hub bearings as they don't handle side impacts well. Some of the drivetrain bearings are odd sizes, my local bearing provider doesn't do some of them in ceramic. Not really worth the effort.
CF driveshaft/aluminum inputs: There is no CF driveshaft option, and the aluminium input options have been announced in the parts list but not released. The weight savings of the CF shaft will be fairly small (less than 5g, I have a TC3 and I've measured alloy vs carbon) and the diameter is so small that the rotational inertia is negligible.
Aluminium DCJ/rear driveshafts: I tried the alloy rear driveshafts - they lasted one race meeting. Not worth the trade off. Front ones don't exist and I wouldn't want to try them.
Rear gear diff: The outdrives are steel, the aluminium ones haven't been released yet. Removing the already plastic satellite gears won't save much weight and will reduce durability.

The main areas of improvement are the input shafts and diff outdrives, swapping out the steel parts for the alloy options when they become available. That'll save maybe 10g
gwhiz likes this.
Old 10-04-2022, 03:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

gigaplex I admire your patience.
gigaplex likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.